Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart observations

Post by buckguy »

veteran+ wrote: October 31st, 2023, 10:37 am I looked at the photos and it really looks like Walmart's version of Target.

I would never shop at Walmart BUT if they could maintain this, Target is done!

I continue to be disappointed with all the Targets in my area. Their OOSs are never ending. Their disrespect and indifference to food is overt and loud. I am visiting less and less as a result. Wasting my time is not my M.O.
I've lived around Targets off and on since the 80s. Out of stocks have been a problem for most of that time, regardless of location, which is odd given the improvements in logistics that have happened since then across chains. They've never had their heart in food and slowly cutting back actually makes sense for them--they'd do best with a packaged foods-oriented format.

Walmart can't maintain staffing levels necessary to sustain "flagships". the mostly make good pr and supply newspapers and websites with "good news" about Walmart.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: October 30th, 2023, 11:39 pm
ClownLoach wrote: October 30th, 2023, 4:02 pm The Temecula "flagship" remodel is done enough that they held a Grand Reopening last weekend. This might be the single nicest Walmart I have ever seen, and I'm really surprised how many vignette displays such as baby rooms, kitchens etc. they built along with custom displays and store specific murals, graphics and even neon signs.

Foods is definitely operating on a level unseen at Walmart, although their prices are not competitive. They have a large selection of USDA Choice Beef along with Prime, and I was floored by the quality and freshness. I never thought I would see the day Walmart has better meat than the big chains. Will be interesting to see if it sticks.

I am more certain than ever Walmart's systems, which customize planograms and SKU assortment over time on a store by store basis, are reset to chain standard on all remodels. This may be why we see them remodel troubled stores and then they close less than a year later. The store has a new large section of snow chains and cables for car tires along with ice melt. Obviously it ain't going to sell in Wine Country.

They still are not done with the exterior rebuild, probably because of the rains earlier this year, so the new covered pickup lanes are still a mud pit. When they're done they will have 40 pickup spaces, and they're far enough to the side of the store they won't get sucked up by regular shoppers as it's inconvenient to park there and walk all the way to the entrance (a smart idea Target is working on too, I've noticed their remodels now move pickup to the opposite end of the entrance).

The million dollar question is if Walmart will be able to maintain the condition of this store. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned they only have a dozen or so stores in this flagship format and they were all on the East Coast. It was always a solid store for them and I think if they did things correctly this format could be a serious threat to Target and others.
I just wonder if this strategy will backfire. This "flagship" model isn't the first time Walmart has gone "upscale". Back in 2006, they opened a store in Plano, Texas (upscale Dallas suburb) with upscale items like designer clothing, sushi, wood flooring, expensive wines, high-end electronics, higher-end meat, etc. Ultimately, it's probably just another plain Walmart by now.

Selling winter car supplies is questionable in SoCal, except for the time the Temecula Valley got snow on New Year's Eve, 2014.

What would be considered a "troubled" store for Walmart in SoCal? Encinitas, perhaps? I know Walmart does the least profitable in upscale suburban areas.
It's funny that Encinitas keeps coming up, yet every retailer on that strip of El Camino Real is their 2nd highest volume unit in San Diego County. First being the Mission Valley area. The Walmart is not exactly a superstar but does well enough to have stayed open for quite some time now and survive multiple store cull events. I'll wager it's the lowest shrink Walmart in California too based on my knowledge of managing stores in the immediate area.

I would wager Orange is a troubled store. Walmart does want to expand in an attempt to salvage the site but developers threaten the entire center's existence while the area is surrounded by homeless. Best Buy just closed across the street a few days ago, even though it could be argued that it is a better location from a retail perspective than the 3 surrounding stores (plus the newest building of the 3 although the other Orange store just got remodeled). The center is a botched mall conversion. I am not convinced Garden Grove is doing well in the horrible location Costco abandoned nearly 30 years ago that sat empty a couple decades. And I also don't believe the four OC area Walmart Neighborhood Market locations are doing well with all of the inflation and price increases being passed along and minimal GM product to offset lost food demand.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

veteran+ wrote: October 31st, 2023, 10:37 am I looked at the photos and it really looks like Walmart's version of Target.

I would never shop at Walmart BUT if they could maintain this, Target is done!
I recently stopped in one of these remodeled locations (apparently the remodel happened in the beginning of the year, although there was still work being done on the 'Pickup' area on my visit) and I was also really impressed! The accent lighting/displays, especially in the clothing departments really made it feel like a Target.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Mission Valley is the "shopping mall" for the beach communities and neighborhoods around Balboa Park and Downtown.

Everyone goes over the Hill to shop (not so much for groceries).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart lists the hours of Murphy Gas Stations on its website under store services. I assume the gas station rents the land from Walmart. Pollo Campero is also listed at some stores in Arkansas. I assume these are also renting space inside of Walmart.

Arkansas Walmart stores seem to have extended hours for its store pharmacies as well. Most other Walmart pharmacies close at 7 PM, but the Arkansas pharmacies close at 8 PM Monday through Friday and some open at 8 AM.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I have observed that at the Walmarts here in Greensboro the in-store spaces vacated by McDonald's when they moved out have yet to be reoccupied by anything. It looks like some stores are using the space as a holding area for pickup orders or as general storage, but the walls do have "your store here" ads on them which seem to indicate that they would still lease the space out. Most of the stores here have bank branches (Woodforest Bank) and a couple have hair salons or VetIQ clinics, but I don't think any of them have restaurant tenants currently.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 13th, 2023, 2:00 pm I have observed that at the Walmarts here in Greensboro the in-store spaces vacated by McDonald's when they moved out have yet to be reoccupied by anything. It looks like some stores are using the space as a holding area for pickup orders or as general storage, but the walls do have "your store here" ads on them which seem to indicate that they would still lease the space out. Most of the stores here have bank branches (Woodforest Bank) and a couple have hair salons or VetIQ clinics, but I don't think any of them have restaurant tenants currently.
The Temecula store that got the full remodel to the flagship format still has an operating McDonalds, they were not removed in the project. I think they did remove a few of the other shops at the front end area, I recall only seeing a hair salon, a cell phone screen repair place and the McDonalds. I also saw the cell phone sell back kiosk had been removed which hopefully is permanent; I have watched with suspicion as shady looking folks (usually two people with one who is nervously looking around) try to feed the machine what look like nearly brand new iPhones for a measly $50 payout, obviously they're stolen and I've seen them try to somehow "cheat" the machine into accepting them. The machines require that the phone is hooked up and unlocked, which theoretically should prevent a locked stolen phone from being sold, but I have seen them try to manipulate it even going so far as to selecting that the phone is "broken" for a minimal payout when it is in fact beautiful flawless condition but locked since it was stolen! Walmart does not need this kind of sleazy equipment in their stores attracting criminals looking to fence their stolen goods.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Those phone sale kiosks seem alive and well. I have seen them somewhere else too. I forget where, could have been a gas station.

Also do you see any Wal Mart delis with Dietz and Watson program in service deli? Wonder if this is widespread or isolates.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 13th, 2023, 2:00 pm I have observed that at the Walmarts here in Greensboro the in-store spaces vacated by McDonald's when they moved out have yet to be reoccupied by anything. It looks like some stores are using the space as a holding area for pickup orders or as general storage, but the walls do have "your store here" ads on them which seem to indicate that they would still lease the space out. Most of the stores here have bank branches (Woodforest Bank) and a couple have hair salons or VetIQ clinics, but I don't think any of them have restaurant tenants currently.
My local store, #7301 in Carencro, LA, had an open space that the wall map said Foodservice when the store opened. About 2 years ago, a Claire's opened in the spot, and VetIQ opened up next to it in the former SmartStyle Salon after it closed.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

wnetmacman wrote: November 14th, 2023, 9:36 am
My local store, #7301 in Carencro, LA, had an open space that the wall map said Foodservice when the store opened. About 2 years ago, a Claire's opened in the spot, and VetIQ opened up next to it in the former SmartStyle Salon after it closed.
I was at the newly remodeled store in Woodburn, Oregon. The McDonald's is now a Joy Teriyaki and the bank is now a Boba tea place. Neither looks very polished for a Walmart..

Overall, there are parts of the remodel that aren't done yet even though they had their grand reopening a week and a half ago. The store was a mess. You would think the managers and employees would want to take pride in their fresh newish store by keeping it up but they don't. Kinda wondering what the point of the remodel was besides putting new lipstick on the outer walls to make it look more comptempory.