Panera Brands Preparing For IPO In 2024

Alpha8472

Panera Brands Preparing For IPO In 2024

Post by Alpha8472 »

Panera Brands, which includes Einstein Bros. Bagels, and Caribou Coffee is planning for an IPO in 2024.

https://chainstoreage.com/panera-brands ... s-ipo-2024
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Panera Brands Preparing For IPO In 2024

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 3rd, 2023, 4:35 pm Panera Brands, which includes Einstein Bros. Bagels, and Caribou Coffee is planning for an IPO in 2024.

https://chainstoreage.com/panera-brands ... s-ipo-2024
Can't do any worse than it has under JAB Peets or JDE or Krispy Kreme or whatever their name is. I can't think of a more rudderless brand. Is it a comfort food place? A health food place? A junk food place? I don't know and they don't either. Who thinks selling healthy salads, pepperoni pizza cheesy bread and ultra high caffeine lemonade makes a brand? They've got a lot of work ahead of them to defrost this dying brand, kinda like how they defrost the food before microwaving it to order (or boiling in bag like a 1980s Stouffers frozen dinner). There wasn't anything really wrong with it, but then they had to go and fix it... And will they really IPO these other brands with it? That explanation doesn't make sense because Carabou and the other coffee brands are all in the new JDE Peet's mega-conglomerate part of the JAB empire, not the Panera side. They seem to have conflicting information available even though the newest Panera Brands logo shows Einstein and Carabou. Why separate out one coffee brand when they just worked so hard to consolidate all of them into a bigger-than-Starbucks Goliath as Jacobs Douwe Egbert Peet's?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think the Caribou unit that goes with Panera is the one that operates the locations. Most Caribous are corporate owned but they have a strategy in place to do major expansion of Caribou by selling franchises to Panera franchisees.

With Panera people running things at Caribou, that mythical $10 cup of coffee people talk about at Starbucks (which doesn't exist) may actually come into reality, given how terrible the prices are with these franchise Paneras.

Panera's attempted expansion into Reno is going horribly. The reviews online are dreadful for these units. They are opening another unit by year end. I think someone has a gun to the franchisee's head to get these units open. They need to slow down and build a management bench up first. They are not doing this and it shows in their piss poor operation that makes the local poorly run McDonalds units look somewhat well run. They cycled through multiple franchisees before finding the current one who actually built the units.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Panera, Einstein & Caribou. I don't know which one is worse, although Einstein's owns Bruegger's which is several steps up from them or Panera. I have to say than an IPO is at least novel. Normally, they would just find some vulture capitalist to buy these failing brands.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Oddly this looks like the St. Louis corporate operations going on with life...they will doubtless run the Einstein bagels off their flour/dough operations in St. Louis County and a consolidated beverage business w/Caribou...allows them to be kind of like the hotel chains which can run 3 brands on 3 corners and (relatively) no one is the wiser.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Romr123 wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:29 am Oddly this looks like the St. Louis corporate operations going on with life...they will doubtless run the Einstein bagels off their flour/dough operations in St. Louis County and a consolidated beverage business w/Caribou...allows them to be kind of like the hotel chains which can run 3 brands on 3 corners and (relatively) no one is the wiser.
I wonder which horrible bagel recipe they'll use.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: December 4th, 2023, 10:28 am
Romr123 wrote: December 4th, 2023, 8:29 am Oddly this looks like the St. Louis corporate operations going on with life...they will doubtless run the Einstein bagels off their flour/dough operations in St. Louis County and a consolidated beverage business w/Caribou...allows them to be kind of like the hotel chains which can run 3 brands on 3 corners and (relatively) no one is the wiser.
I wonder which horrible bagel recipe they'll use.
I'll take the Einstein soft round with a hole breads any day over the Panera rock hard round with a hole dog chews. Both do describe their product on the menu as "bagel."

I don't think there is demand to put Panera, Caribou, and Einstein at the same general corner or even neighborhood. Einstein and Caribou haven't had particularly successful territory expansions. The co-branded Einstein/Caribou format was a complete flop. Panera in my view has had a very successful run but the value isn't there, it just isn't worth the cost, and execution has really failed as they franchised the entire Panera network.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

buckguy wrote: December 4th, 2023, 5:12 am Panera, Einstein & Caribou. I don't know which one is worse, although Einstein's owns Bruegger's which is several steps up from them or Panera. I have to say than an IPO is at least novel. Normally, they would just find some vulture capitalist to buy these failing brands.
At least some of the older Bruegger locations actually make real bagels (boiled, not steamed). Their other brands are steamed and they are not even close in quality (Einstein, Noah's).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 10th, 2023, 12:41 am
buckguy wrote: December 4th, 2023, 5:12 am Panera, Einstein & Caribou. I don't know which one is worse, although Einstein's owns Bruegger's which is several steps up from them or Panera. I have to say than an IPO is at least novel. Normally, they would just find some vulture capitalist to buy these failing brands.
At least some of the older Bruegger locations actually make real bagels (boiled, not steamed). Their other brands are steamed and they are not even close in quality (Einstein, Noah's).
If you get to any supermarket bakery within 4 hours of the bagel being made you get something comparable in quality to Einstein.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

There's a Bruegger's location nearby that appears to make boiled bagels (or at least has the equipment for it) and the quality seems to be pretty good from the couple of times I've tried it.