Oregon lifts ban on self service gas

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
storewanderer

Re: Oregon lifts ban on self service gas

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: December 14th, 2023, 2:52 pm

I think that the mini serve model may be a deterrent to the card skimmer issue as well. Pumps are better supervised. Last time I was in Oregon many pumps still had not updated to EMV chip use, an expensive and costly process that takes a long time (still don't understand this). Assuming they still have not updated, the gas stations would be liable for any fraud since we are past the deadlines. That alone is probably enough to keep the mini serve in place until pumps can be updated to more secure forms of payment acceptance. Over time this issue will resolve itself and they will all move to self serve as much as possible.
You'd be surprised how many gas stations have still not updated to EMV chip use yet. I have been shocked as I traveled this year. It isn't just in OR, it is all over. I was surprised back in IL/IA how many hadn't updated yet. Large chains like Caseys, 7-Eleven, Pilot, and EG Group still have many sites that have not updated. Closer to Chicago it seemed everyone had updated but even just an hour out, not so much.

In rural parts of northern California I'm not even sure if half of the stations are updated yet. What is most strange is when I see a station that has gas pumps with EMV hardware but doesn't have the EMV activated (might be an issue with the wiring on these older sites).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Are these stations without EMV encouraging app payments? Maybe if more people are using the app, they don't see a need to rush to EMV.

Is EMV available inside?

Do these stations have tap to pay?

I find that paying by app is actually quite fast and efficient. The ExxonMobil app works well. I have also used the Shell app and 76 app. I am paranoid about skimmers, so I try to avoid using card readers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 16th, 2023, 1:33 pm Are these stations without EMV encouraging app payments? Maybe if more people are using the app, they don't see a need to rush to EMV.

Is EMV available inside?

Do these stations have tap to pay?

I find that paying by app is actually quite fast and efficient. The ExxonMobil app works well. I have also used the Shell app and 76 app. I am paranoid about skimmers, so I try to avoid using card readers.
Yes, EMV is available inside. Some of these have tap on the pumps but it doesn't necessarily always work or work on all card types.

For example in the past week I've been out quite a bit and gone to multiple gas stations that did not have EMV. Multiple 7-Eleven, Pilot sites. One Shell (recently rebranded from Chevron). Various smaller stations. It is surprising.

I forget which gas chain app I downloaded and used a couple of times that would activate the pump. It may have been Shell back when Chase Pay was a thing.