Maverik Purchases Kum & Go

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Maverik Purchases Kum & Go

Post by Romr123 »

Just noticed a Maverik going in at Gene Autry/I-10 at the Palm Springs/Cathedral City/Desert Hot Springs exit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Romr123 wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 2:17 pm Just noticed a Maverik going in at Gene Autry/I-10 at the Palm Springs/Cathedral City/Desert Hot Springs exit.
That will be the first SoCal location. I don't see any more SoCal locations planned but surely there have to be more planned.

These so far are giant sites, quasi truck stops but no stopping (big truck fueling islands though, huge lots).
The initial CA location opened in Oroville.
Then another opened in West Sacramento.
And another in Orland.

They opened a smaller site in Anderson.

Their location choices in CA are... very interesting. I do not know many businesses that target places like Oroville, Orland, Anderson, for new locations. These North State places definitely are interesting choices.

They had a site they were working on in Sacramento (hard industrial area-Power Inn Road- sort of a dead area but I've seen Maverik do really well with this kind of site in other markets).

I think the Roseville/Rocklin site is under construction, it may be opening soon.

They have also entered Tucson with one site in Marana. I don't know what they are doing trying to go against Quik Trip. They are playing with fire.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

storewanderer wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 11:36 pm
Romr123 wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 2:17 pm Just noticed a Maverik going in at Gene Autry/I-10 at the Palm Springs/Cathedral City/Desert Hot Springs exit.
That will be the first SoCal location. I don't see any more SoCal locations planned but surely there have to be more planned.

These so far are giant sites, quasi truck stops but no stopping (big truck fueling islands though, huge lots).
And another in Orland.

Their location choices in CA are... very interesting. I do not know many businesses that target places like Oroville, Orland, Anderson, for new locations. These North State places definitely are interesting choices.

They had a site they were working on in Sacramento (hard industrial area-Power Inn Road- sort of a dead area but I've seen Maverik do really well with this kind of site in other markets).

I think the Roseville/Rocklin site is under construction, it may be opening soon.

They have also entered Tucson with one site in Marana. I don't know what they are doing trying to go against Quik Trip. They are playing with fire.
I imagine the Inland Empire and the Imperial Valley, maybe San Diego are prime spots for Maveriks, also the Central Valley. Maverik seems to be building new sites along Freeways and major highways.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 6:56 am
storewanderer wrote: January 22nd, 2024, 11:36 pm

And another in Orland.

I imagine the Inland Empire and the Imperial Valley, maybe San Diego are prime spots for Maveriks, also the Central Valley. Maverik seems to be building new sites along Freeways and major highways.
We will see. I am wondering if the Kum & Go conversions will cause them to have their hands full.

These sites they are developing in CA, have been in their pipeline for a while now. I haven't heard of any additional potential new CA sites in months.

They should do very well with the locations they are opening. They are opening in some of the cheapest parts of the state, areas that still have pretty high amount of tobacco use, etc. However there are also some high volume Tribal gas stations up in that North State area who have very nice facilities and undercut on price for fuel and tobacco significantly due to their tax advantage, I am not sure how familiar Maverik is competing with those operations.