Oxnard's only Ralphs closing May 2024

California. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Oxnard's only Ralphs closing May 2024

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

CalItalian wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:05 am Reddit user comment, if true, says Vons on 5th & Ventura is also closing.
That one was built as an Albertsons in 1995 (mid-90s model store), divested to Top Valu during the Albertsons/Lucky marriage, then became a Vons in 2000. The Lucky/Albertsons kitty corner from there was divested to Comvest (err, Haggen), it is now an Aldi.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: March 24th, 2024, 11:47 am
CalItalian wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:05 am Reddit user comment, if true, says Vons on 5th & Ventura is also closing.
That one was built as an Albertsons in 1995 (mid-90s model store), divested to Top Valu during the Albertsons/Lucky marriage, then became a Vons in 2000. The Lucky/Albertsons kitty corner from there was divested to Comvest (err, Haggen), it is now an Aldi.
Looks like that Vons got the cheap lifestyle repaint interior and recently installed self checkout.

Still has the 1995-1998 Albertsons layout- bakery on front side wall, then produce on that side wall, then deli on back wall overlooking produce. Liquor still in the front corner opposite bakery. Pharmacy looks strange- it appears Safeway moved that. It appears to be angled off in the back corner where service meat would go. Also can't tell if or where service meat is since Safeway seems to have converted service meat into a pharmacy. I see the emergency exit next to the pharmacy so it looks like Albertsons did not have a pharmacy in this store.

This store has received a lot more investment over the years than the Ralphs...
brendenmoney
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by brendenmoney »

Interesting! That comment thread you mentioned says a Walgreens nearby and that specific Vons are also closing, but I don't see too many other sources besides this Reddit comment, as I would imagine if Vons were closing too, there would also be press coverage on that. I don't know if theft would be the best answer for these closures, as both Ralphs and Vons have stores operating in worse areas in terms of theft that so far are staying open.

Also, I think this is the first Ralphs closure we have seen this year minimally, the last major wave of closures from Ralphs/Food 4 Less that I know of was in 2021, as a response to extended hero pay in Los Angeles and Long Beach. I'm pretty sure it was the property owner of the Oxnard Ralphs who chose not to renew the lease in favor of Vallarta which probably agreed to pay more in rent. I think this is the same scenario of the South Lake Tahoe Save Mart mentioned a few threads down that was kicked out in favor of Safeway. Whether or not Kroger tried to outbid Vallarta for the Oxnard Ralphs for the space is questionable, as I imagine Kroger could have just said no to paying more rent and is walking away from the store.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The lack of investment by Kroger on this store implies to me it has been on the edge of closing for quite some time.

I can't find anything else about Vons closing.

A Walgreens at 481 South Ventura Road in Oxnard closed maybe recently and has a lease through 2033.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/481-S-V ... /30872995/