Macys Stores Closing by 2026

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Macys Stores Closing by 2026

Post by ClownLoach »

c95xrk wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:20 pm
ClownLoach wrote: March 26th, 2024, 4:35 pm They have made it clear they will consolidate as opportunities come along. As stated earlier they are negotiating to finalize plans for consolidation in Mission Viejo where the women's building will be replaced by luxury apartments. If they own the building there is no benefit to consolidation without replacement tenants since the stores are all cash flow positive. But they have already stated on investor calls that wherever you see two in a mall, except for flagship properties (South Coast Plaza for example), they are open to taking offers.

And the rest isn't an official list but rather a speculative list. So Santa Maria is probably owned and cash positive, and I would imagine zero chances the property is going anywhere. Lots of population growth to feed comp sales, but lots of bare dirt to build on for decades before anyone thinks of redevelopment of the mall. So oddly enough I could see Santa Maria slipping through. If it's cash positive, comp positive, not high shrink, and zero chance of anyone buying it or subleasing it then zero reason to close it. A lot of big box retail went up there in the last 5 years or so, upsized Costco and Lowe's, Dicks, and others.
I'd expect it is more likely they'll receive offers on one of the flagship secondary stores, like the South Coast Plaza men's store or Valley Fair's men's and home store, before some of the other secondary stores go away. And for those curious, the company does publish a list of stores with their respective land status (owned/leased/ground leased) on their investor website, if you want to peek: (https://www.macysinc.com/investors/fina ... fault.aspx).

As for the speculative aspect of the list, I still think it's 90% spot-on. I'm assuming they won't start shuttering stores until after the holidays, but I assume the picture will become clearer as they look to offload whatever real estate they own.
South Coast Plaza men's store was completely remodeled from top to bottom not long ago and is a top performer that has been fully integrated into the regular store via a sky bridge that links the two buildings at the 3rd floor. The men's business is still so strong that they actually have the men's overflowing into the main building with suits there in probably the only full service, fully staffed dedicated department I've seen left at Macy's with sales people who have been there decades.

The entire SCP three store complex is basically the new flagship of the West Coast. Also the management of SCP bought back the Sears building over a decade ago which was the top grossing store at Sears at the time and was actually very profitable. When it closed it still had ample appliances and TVs and such, that closing probably gave a small cash boost to Sears but was truly the beginning of the end as their death spiral began at that moment. They still have not been able to sublease or do anything with it, and basically have eaten a $200 million purchase. So there's about dead zero chance of anything happening with the Macy's building because the decade long closed Sears facility in a great location effectively devalues any other department store box there. Macy's Inc via the Bloomingdales division has heavily invested into SCP and has created an incredibly successful food court of primarily Asian restaurants inside that building and I expect they will duplicate the concept with the Macy's building.

As far as "trying to offload the real estate they own" I do not see that being the long term strategy of the current management. Such strategies will be the end of the company. It is apparent that they are recipients of investments from the major mall owners as they have been unusually resistant to the concept other than occasionally throwing the agitants a bone like closing Union Square which at this time is a declining asset. But the stripping of all assets is a strategic move for the liquidation of the company and they do not seem to wish to do that. Remember that although they have these agitants and activists who want to see the books because they think they can pillage the company, that doesn't mean they won't like what they find. Owning assets means they have leverage available, they can borrow money as needed and have the large credit lines necessary for their highly seasonal businesses and they secure them with these assets. Retailers like Macy's in stagnant sectors that have tried to unload assets wind up being unable to find enough credit to actually grow their business and then they implode. I cannot imagine that management hasn't built what amount to poison pills by securing credit operations to these properties. There is not a snowballs chance in Hell that there is no loan or other line attached to Herald Square for example, something is secured to it and that would be a deterrent to the vultures.

I have not had the time to dig through the link but I expect it will contain a similar arrangement of other retailers with combination of leased and owned and leased-back. The "crown jewels" will be owned. Most of what is good volume surprisingly will be leased or have undergone a leaseback already. And the rest of the owned will be the lower end of the volume spectrum in "low B and C tier malls" which would deliver minimal returns if sold and become unprofitable instantaneously if leased back. The vultures waiting at the door just want the crown jewels and they want them now because they anticipate a major downtown in the commercial real estate market and know that they probably can't get a higher return on their sale than right now, ongoing store business be damned.

Macy's is unusual in that they still attract good traffic and in their current form they do make money. They have neglected the entire company under the previous leaders by allowing the mall industry to steer their course as they have closed hundreds of stores mainly to get out of the path of the wrecking ball, bulldozer or in some cases board up crew. It sounds like the new management actually gives a damn about the business, that they have a track record that built a playbook for success on the Bloomingdales side and they want to apply that playbook to the Macy's brand. The outside activist vultures obviously are very upset as the last thing they want to see is any investment, any improvement, any new life breathed into Macy's. They want to come in instead and gut the company in a matter of days, making off with the billions in real estate assets they have spent the last century acquiring then forcing them into leasebacks on what will be dead and dying properties which will doom the entire enterprise and have it in bankruptcy within a couple years.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

I went to the Streets of Tanasbourne store yesterday. Some observations...it's a two-level store in a lifestyle center that is already set up for a Macy's smaller format store. About half of the top floor is furniture. About a 1/3 of the first floor is the disorganized mess better known as Backstage. They had very little Last Call merchandise, which is good. The shoe department is all self-service, which I had not seen before at a Macy's and looked more like a Kohls. Men's shoes was limited to dress shoes only, no athletic shoes. The entire store was pretty spread out with lots of underused floor space. You can get a lot more merch into this store.

This store is a great example of consolidating everything on to the first floor. Eliminate furniture and move Backstage into a freestanding store closer to the Ross or TJ Maxxes in the area for cross-shopping. Since I believe they own the building, monetize the top floor by renting it out to Dave and Busters or similar that don't need a first floor entrance. By doing this, I think they could hold on to much of their sales, monetize unused space, and probably provide a better shopping experience. This is what I would do if I ran the company instead of closing hundreds of stores, better utilize what you have instead of circling the drain.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

babs wrote: March 29th, 2024, 9:37 am I went to the Streets of Tanasbourne store yesterday. Some observations...it's a two-level store in a lifestyle center that is already set up for a Macy's smaller format store. About half of the top floor is furniture. About a 1/3 of the first floor is the disorganized mess better known as Backstage. They had very little Last Call merchandise, which is good. The shoe department is all self-service, which I had not seen before at a Macy's and looked more like a Kohls. Men's shoes was limited to dress shoes only, no athletic shoes. The entire store was pretty spread out with lots of underused floor space. You can get a lot more merch into this store.

This store is a great example of consolidating everything on to the first floor. Eliminate furniture and move Backstage into a freestanding store closer to the Ross or TJ Maxxes in the area for cross-shopping. Since I believe they own the building, monetize the top floor by renting it out to Dave and Busters or similar that don't need a first floor entrance. By doing this, I think they could hold on to much of their sales, monetize unused space, and probably provide a better shopping experience. This is what I would do if I ran the company instead of closing hundreds of stores, better utilize what you have instead of circling the drain.
I think the real key is to remodel the dinosaur stores. Allegedly 40% or more of the square footage is not customer space, dozens of offices that sit empty and large stock rooms for every department. Mothballed equipment rooms and cafeterias. Clear all that dead space out and most stores could consolidate to a single floor without cutting a single SKU. Two store malls could drop to one and it would feel substantially larger to the customer. Then they could sublease and make big money. I suspect this is the "bold new chapter" strategy anyway.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

ClownLoach wrote: March 29th, 2024, 4:08 pm
babs wrote: March 29th, 2024, 9:37 am I went to the Streets of Tanasbourne store yesterday. Some observations...it's a two-level store in a lifestyle center that is already set up for a Macy's smaller format store. About half of the top floor is furniture. About a 1/3 of the first floor is the disorganized mess better known as Backstage. They had very little Last Call merchandise, which is good. The shoe department is all self-service, which I had not seen before at a Macy's and looked more like a Kohls. Men's shoes was limited to dress shoes only, no athletic shoes. The entire store was pretty spread out with lots of underused floor space. You can get a lot more merch into this store.

I think the real key is to remodel the dinosaur stores. Allegedly 40% or more of the square footage is not customer space, dozens of offices that sit empty and large stock rooms for every department. Mothballed equipment rooms and cafeterias. Clear all that dead space out and most stores could consolidate to a single floor without cutting a single SKU. Two store malls could drop to one and it would feel substantially larger to the customer. Then they could sublease and make big money. I suspect this is the "bold new chapter" strategy anyway.
Subleasing empty boxes may work but with the number of anchor tenants (especially traditional ones) dwindling by the year--the few growing strip mall retailers are few and far between (Five Below being one), what's to sublease?

They need to develop more brands. They did enormous damage to the Macy's brand by putting in a bunch of department stores in loser malls that were at the end of their life, cleared most of those out, and now they're playing around with (to borrow a phrase from HHR commenter Anonymous in Houston) "Downmarket by Macy's". Something similar to Sears in merchandise mix and price point could be a real winner if they play their cards right and excite investors.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Bring back Supre-Macy?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Maybe once they close enough stores they can merge with Kohls then start closing those.

It is nice to say you will close all the B and lower stores and just have these premium stores you'll "invest" in but then things happen. Markets change around your premium stores, you lose leases, economies go bad, etc.

My opinion is if they go forward with the closure list that was posted here based on the low sales per square foot they are closing too many stores.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote: March 29th, 2024, 4:25 pm

Subleasing empty boxes may work but with the number of anchor tenants (especially traditional ones) dwindling by the year--the few growing strip mall retailers are few and far between (Five Below being one), what's to sublease?

They need to develop more brands. They did enormous damage to the Macy's brand by putting in a bunch of department stores in loser malls that were at the end of their life, cleared most of those out, and now they're playing around with (to borrow a phrase from HHR commenter Anonymous in Houston) "Downmarket by Macy's". Something similar to Sears in merchandise mix and price point could be a real winner if they play their cards right and excite investors.
Yup, that is what Macy's has been doing for a long time via their merger and acquisition frenzy........................downmarketing "Macy's".

Macy's meant something different at its peak and it was not Gimbles or MayCo or Kohls or JC Penney's. It also was not Sak's or Blomingdale's or Neiman Marcus.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: March 30th, 2024, 8:27 am

Yup, that is what Macy's has been doing for a long time via their merger and acquisition frenzy........................downmarketing "Macy's".

Macy's meant something different at its peak and it was not Gimbles or MayCo or Kohls or JC Penney's. It also was not Sak's or Blomingdale's or Neiman Marcus.
That "different" Macy's is gone. It went away when they took in May (which was in my opinion a mistake). Maybe the CHH (Emporium, Broadway, Weinstocks, etc.) merger was okay for Macys back in the 90's. The Macys West operation especially in CA kept the "a little better" store idea going a little longer than the rest of Macys (and that was run by that Jeff Gennette when it was restructured away, who just retired as CEO) but once they got restructured out of existence in one of the annual Macys restructuring process that was the end of that.

All these mergers along with the many regional chain bankruptcies basically ruined the department store business... I think a lot of these chains doomed themselves financially through bad financial arrangements. Then you have Sears; decades of arrogance followed by the slow ongoing liquidation...

I hate to say it but I kind of see the Macys path similar to Sears. It keeps shrinking. It keeps monetizing real estate. It keeps having a "new strategy" EVERY YEAR when it restructures which it seems to do like clockwork every year...
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: March 30th, 2024, 10:12 am
veteran+ wrote: March 30th, 2024, 8:27 am

That "different" Macy's is gone. It went away when they took in May (which was in my opinion a mistake). Maybe the CHH (Emporium, Broadway, Weinstocks, etc.) merger was okay for Macys back in the 90's. The Macys West operation especially in CA kept the "a little better" store idea going a little longer than the rest of Macys (and that was run by that Jeff Gennette when it was restructured away, who just retired as CEO) but once they got restructured out of existence in one of the annual Macys restructuring process that was the end of that.

All these mergers along with the many regional chain bankruptcies basically ruined the department store business... I think a lot of these chains doomed themselves financially through bad financial arrangements. Then you have Sears; decades of arrogance followed by the slow ongoing liquidation...

I hate to say it but I kind of see the Macys path similar to Sears. It keeps shrinking. It keeps monetizing real estate. It keeps having a "new strategy" EVERY YEAR when it restructures which it seems to do like clockwork every year...
I don't think they've had a new strategy or restructuring every year. They ran the Polaris strategy the last 4 years and it worked well, they eliminated every unprofitable store as well as eliminated the unproductive piles of inventory that used to clog the aisles. What they couldn't do is stem the tide of closing malls forcing their hand, and now with "bold chapter" they're trying to get ahead of the inevitable and close where they otherwise would be closed after incurring lost sales as the mall goes down. That alone should be very helpful to comp sales and get the Wall Street vultures off their backs.

Their biggest issue is and will continue to be the merchandise. They need to give people a reason to drive to the mall, which is becoming further away for most Americans as smaller ones die. They can't just use discounts, coupons, clearance blowouts, and credit cards as reasons as they did in the past. They need to find a sustainable solution. It sounds like Bloomingdales may have figured that out at the higher end as it's obviously outperforming the deteriorating Nordstrom and Saks, so they need to share the secrets with Macy's and see if the formula works there.

That weird Market department with oddball curated buys has been gone for some time, I feel like the last time I saw it was Pre pandemic.

Also Sears abandoned their best locations first because they would deliver the highest return when sold. Macy's is not doing that. Sears sold and closed the highest volume and most profitable store in their company because they needed the cash to prop up the others. Macy's is doing the opposite and fighting to keep Herald Square.
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

Here are three Macy's potential closures lists. Which of these stores do you think they will close?? What stores on this list are not featured on all three??

Macy’s Potential Closures (Frank Moore's list):https://www.thelayoff.com/macy-s#google_vignette
SanTan (Gilbert) Arizona
364 Capitola California
386 West Valley Mall (Tracy) California
Union Square (San Francisco) California
Northgate (San Rafael) California
Coddingtown (Santa Rosa) California
Newpark (Newark) California
410 Sunrise (Citrus Heights) California
RiverPark (Fresno) California
Redding California
Westminster Mall California
555 Otay Ranch Town Center (Chula Vista) California
355 Northfield Stapleton Colorado
Orchards (Westminster) Colorado
Aurora Colorado
51 Trumbull Connecticut
162 Concord (Wilmington) Delaware
Boynton Beach Florida
Ocala Florida
Merritt Island Florida
Siesta Key (Sarasota) Florida
778 Southland (Cutler Bay) Florida
813 Orlando Fashion Square Florida
Citrus Park (Tampa) Florida
Tryone Square (St Petersburg) Florida
Arbor Place (Douglasville) Georgia
736 Oglethorpe (Savannah) Georgia
Northlake Mall (Atlanta) Georgia
734 Gwinnett Place (Duluth) Georgia
Peachtree (Columbus) Georgia
Stonecrest (Lithonia) Georgia
470 Kahala (Oahu) Hawaii
399 Coeur D'Alene Silver Lake Idaho
Fairview Heights Illinois
River Oaks (Calumet City) Illinois
Springfield Illinois
Champaign Illinois
Gurnee Mills Illinois
279 Cherryvale (Rockford) Illinois
280 Louis Joliet (Joliet) Illinois
Lafayette Indiana
692 Acadiana (Lafayette) Louisiana
Marley Station (Glen Burnie) Maryland
Fancis Scott Key (Frederick) Maryland
Bel Air Maryland
Bowie Maryland
159 Security Square (Baltimore) Maryland
179 Independence (Kingston) Massachusetts
Hanover Massachusetts
Emerald Square (North Attleboro) Massachusetts
308 Genesee Valley Center (Flint) Michigan
319 Grand Traverse (Traverse City) Michigan
Fairlane (Dearborn) Michigan
Portage Michigan
315 Fashion Square (Saginaw) Michigan
Oakland (Troy) Michigan
243 Crossroads Center (St Cloud) Minnesota
235 Burnsville Center (Burnsville) Minnesota
612 Battlefield (Springfield) Missouri
611 Metro North (Kansas City) Missouri
Mid Rivers (St Peters) Missouri
655 South County (St Louis) Missouri
Bozeman Montana
46 Mall at Fox Run (Newington) New Hampshire
Monmouth Mall (Eatontown) New Jersey
Mays Landing New Jersey
88 Brunswick Square (East Brunswick) New Jersey
Livingston New Jersey
171 Hampton Bays New York
22 Parkchester (Bronx) New York
Sunrise Mall (Massapequa) New York
Jefferson Valley New York
Boulevard Mall (Amherst) New York
Triangle Town Center (Raleigh) North Carolina
Northlake (Charlotte) North Carolina
Eastwood (Niles) Ohio
Beavercreek Ohio
568 Anderson Town Center (Cincinnati) Ohio
383 Bend River (OR) Oregon
Salem Oregon
388 Tanasbourne Streets (Hillsboro) Oregon
Westmoreland Mall (Greensburg) Pennsylvania
Oxford Valley Pennsylvania
Montgomery Pennsylvania
589 Galleria At Pittsburgh Mills (Tarentum) Pennsylvania
151 Exton Square Pennsylvania
626 Logan Valley (Altoona) Pennsylvania
637 Wyoming Valley (Wilkes-Barre) Pennsylvania
789 Columbia (SC) South Carolina
241 Empire (Sioux Falls) South Dakota
Oak Court (Memphis) Tennessee
682 Irving Texas
708 La Palmera (Corpus Christi) Texas
Ingram Park (San Antonio) Texas
Almeda (Houston) Texas
Lakeline (Cedar Park) Texas
Greenbriar (Chesapeake) Virginia
Colonial Heights Virginia
Manassas Virginia
373 Silverdale Kitsap Washington
438 Puyallup South Hill Washington
Wenatchee Washington
Bellingham Washington
Vancouver Washington
Yakima Washington
262 Southridge (Greenfield) Wisconsin

Macy’s Potential Closures (list from someone from the Layoff. a comment on this post): https://www.thelayoff.com/macy-s#google_vignette
HOOVER AL Alabama
MESA AZ Arizona
TUCSON AZ Arizona
STOCKTON CA California
SAN RAFAEL CA California
TRACY CA California
REDDING CA California
VISALIA CA California
CAPITOLA CA California
VICTORVILLE CA California
SAN FRANCISCO CA - UNION SQUARE California
CHULA VISTA CA California
WESTMINSTER CA California
DENVER CO - NORTFIELD Colorado
WILMINGTON DE Delaware
WESLEY CHAPEL FL Florida
SARASOTA FL - SIESTA Florida
ORLANDO FL - FASHION SQUARE Florida
OCALA FL Florida
BOYNTON BEACH FL Florida
ALTAMONTE SPRINGS FL Florida
MELBOURNE FL Florida
ST PETERSBURG FL Florida
CUTLER BAY FL Florida
COLUMBUS GA Georgia
DOUGLASVILLE GA Georgia
ATLANTA GA - NORTHLAKE Georgia
SAVANNAH GA Georgia
DULUTH GA Georgia
KAILUA KONA HI Hawaii
HILO HI Hawaii
KAHULUI HI Hawaii
HONOLULU HI - KAHALA Hawaii
HONOLULU HI - WAIKIKI Hawaii
KAPOLEI HI Hawaii
COEUR D ALENE ID Idaho
JOLIET IL Illinois
CHAMPAIGN IL Illinois
FAIRVIEW HEIGHTS IL Illinois
VERNON HILLS IL Illinois
SPRINGFIELD IL Illinois
CALUMET CITY IL Illinois
ROCKFORD IL Illinois
EVANSVILLE IN Indiana
LAFAYETTE IN Indiana
LAFAYETTE LA Louisiana
BALTIMORE MD Maryland
GLEN BURNIE MD Maryland
BEL AIR MD Maryland
DORCHESTER MA (Just opened, so I am confused why this is on this list, since it is not closing to my knowledge since it is the new Macy's format) Massachusetts
HANOVER MA Massachusetts
KINGSTON MA Massachusetts
SAGINAW MI Michigan
OKEMOS MI Michigan
PORTAGE MI Michigan
FLINT MI Michigan
MAPLEWOOD MN Minnesota
BURNSVILLE MN Minnesota
SAINT LOUIS MO - SOUTH COUNTY Missouri
SAINT PETERS MO Missouri
SPRINGFIELD MO Missouri
KANSAS CITY MO - METRO NORTH Missouri