Kroger shuttering distribution spoke in Miami

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Kroger shuttering distribution spoke in Miami

Post by cathandler »

According to a memo posted on the Kroger Reddit the two-year-old Miami spoke facility will close by May 26. This is one of four (the others being in Groveland (Orlando), Jacksonville and Tampa) covering major population centers in the Sunshine State.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger shuttering distribution spoke in Miami

Post by storewanderer »

This and Austin seem like pretty high profile retreats.

Obviously they didn't understand the Miami market and probably didn't have the right merchandise mix.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:23 am This and Austin seem like pretty high profile retreats.

Obviously they didn't understand the Miami market and probably didn't have the right merchandise mix.
Or you know, actual locations :mrgreen:
I wonder how much market share Kroger has with their delivery-only business...I can't imagine it being much at all.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

mbz321 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 6:36 am
storewanderer wrote: March 27th, 2024, 12:23 am This and Austin seem like pretty high profile retreats.

I wonder how much market share Kroger has with their delivery-only business...I can't imagine it being much at all.
In general, I rarely see grocery delivery. Even my 95 year old neighbor goes to the store. Depending on the range that it serves, Miami probably would be their weakest market in Florida. The expats from their traditional market area are more likely to be in the Tampa-St. Pete or Orlando areas.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: March 27th, 2024, 6:36 am

I liked the idea of them doing territory expansion... I have to think to close these sales must have been almost nothing. The warehouses were only 60k square feet...

They also closed the center in San Antonio, TX...

So two HEB strongholds and one Publix stronghold...

I wonder if it would have been better to build one Marketplace Store in each market and then in addition to the usual customers coming into the store also run a delivery service out of it. I guess the cost to do a 60k square foot warehouse is lower...
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

There is another aspect we've overlooked here.

Austin *and* San Antonio once had Kroger locations throughout. So they were trying to reclaim what they once had lost there. Spoiler alert - HEB isn't one to be messed with in their home territory.

Florida has never fully had a true Kroger store, so they have no real comparison to what they have missed. But they have Publix, which is really the Florida equivalent of HEB - a juggernaut monopoly that shouldn't be tampered with - you poke the bear and get scratched.