Save Mart loses lease-Tahoe City, CA

California. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Save Mart loses lease-Tahoe City, CA

Post by Alpha8472 »

What decor will this Safeway have? Will this use the Pavilions decor that is showing up in many recently remodeled stores in Northern California? Or will it receive the cheap Florida decor?
Last edited by Alpha8472 on March 30th, 2024, 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Given the delay I suspect the decor may be up in the air. I'm going to be curious what they do with this store. I am not sure it is larger than their current store. It is a much better location however. This was a loss for Save Mart.

Also I heard the plans for redeveloping the current Safeway are somehow delayed or in question... so it is unknown what will happen to their current building at this time... originally they were to be "out" on an expedited timeline.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: March 30th, 2024, 7:32 pm Given the delay I suspect the decor may be up in the air. I'm going to be curious what they do with this store. I am not sure it is larger than their current store. It is a much better location however. This was a loss for Save Mart.

Also I heard the plans for redeveloping the current Safeway are somehow delayed or in question... so it is unknown what will happen to their current building at this time... originally they were to be "out" on an expedited timeline.
I think it may be smaller than their current location. Plus, that was one of the oddest stores when it was Lucky... that and the old Placerville store had the extremely long aisles if I recall correctly.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: March 31st, 2024, 6:02 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 30th, 2024, 7:32 pm Given the delay I suspect the decor may be up in the air. I'm going to be curious what they do with this store. I am not sure it is larger than their current store. It is a much better location however. This was a loss for Save Mart.

I think it may be smaller than their current location. Plus, that was one of the oddest stores when it was Lucky... that and the old Placerville store had the extremely long aisles if I recall correctly.
This was an old Lucky Store design that was a rectangular store with few very long aisles. Really was never a fan of this store under any operator, due to the strange long aisles, strange small produce department, terrible restroom situation, and poor front end (which Save Mart did improve by adding self checkout), and I'll be really interested to see what Safeway does to it. After Safeway expanded its current Tahoe City Store they had a much better store in my opinion, but not in the right location.

What is strange about is as Lucky is I never remember it having a split down the middle of the aisles to separate the aisles into two shorter aisles. Many older Lucky units did have a split down the middle of the aisles until the mid 90's ASC remodels which removed the split in the smaller/older stores where they redid the floor (which was 90% of the stores they redid). What was funny is when ASC built a new Lucky they kept the split down the center for the aisles.