99 cents only calls it quits

reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

99 cents only calls it quits

Post by reymann »

99 cents only has made the announcement that they are going to ramp down operations and liquidate all of their stores.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: 99 cents only calls it quits

Post by HCal »

Yet another victim of a greedy leveraged buyout.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Hilco is secured, according to the LA Times report. 14,000 people will lose their jobs.
99 Cents Only to close all 371 stores and wind down its business
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

HCal wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:44 pm Yet another victim of a greedy leveraged buyout.
Pretty difficult to call it "99 Cents Only" when inflation takes hold.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

pseudo3d wrote: April 4th, 2024, 7:56 pm
HCal wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:44 pm Yet another victim of a greedy leveraged buyout.
Pretty difficult to call it "99 Cents Only" when inflation takes hold.
When they were selling kids Power Wheels toys for $300 last Christmas season I was questioning their decisions.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i know grocery outlet is eyeballing the 99 cents only site at first & bullard in fresno and the property management at the one on kings canyon were ready for them to leave with renovations to the shopping center and el super coming it will make remodeling work better.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Like so many stores, 99 cents only used to be a fun place to shop. Stores were clean and it was like going on a treasure hunt. Within the last ten years, the stores became a little messier and the "finds" were fewer and farther between. Recently, their stores were downright messy and anything but fun to shop. So, why shop there?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I liked 99 Cents years ago too. It was fun to find such cheap little bargains. However, their stores are horrendously messy now.

I am sad to see them go, but only due to the fact that many areas will be dominated by Dollar Tree from now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wow. I never expected the whole chain to close. I expected them to close TX/NV/AZ and retreat back to CA.

This is very significant. A number of these stores are in somewhat underserved areas.

Store conditions have been awful in TX/NV/AZ for quite some time. But the CA operation has always looked better.

In recent weeks in Reno/Sparks/Carson City their produce was better stocked but the dry grocery shelves had been getting quite light of inventory and I was wondering what was going on. Reno and Sparks both have backrooms that are so full of product that you can't walk through them so I was assuming they just had no labor to stock shelves and all the groceries were back there.

The Reno/Sparks stores stink inside and are so filthy. They are extremely messy. The employees... I will just not even comment but these stores seem run worse than a Dollar Tree which is like rock bottom operations, so I have the impression they pay minimum wage at the most. But it has been this way for a couple years in these stores.

Also they announced this late this afternoon and liquidation sales start tomorrow morning...?

I'll miss 99 Only but they really went downhill in recent years.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: April 4th, 2024, 11:51 pm Also they announced this late this afternoon and liquidation sales start tomorrow morning...?
Maybe this is the "missing link" for those sign people that looked like they were connected to Rite Aid?

Thus, they had an idea it might very well happen and that is why they wanted people ready to go since it would be starting very quickly?