Burlington closing Carson City, NV location

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Burlington closing Carson City, NV location

Post by storewanderer »

FrankMoore99 wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:22 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 10th, 2024, 12:20 am
FrankMoore99 wrote: April 9th, 2024, 12:24 pm

Really?? They aren't closing the store to relocate. I figured they were probably relocating to the former Bed Bath and Beyond on Topsy because Burlington has been doing that as of late.
I am wondering what stores are planned for Bed Bath and Beyond stores in the Sacramento area?? I know Burlington is planning to relocate their Natomas store to that BB&B space and Floor and Decor is planning to relocate their Roseville store to that and Buy Buy Baby's space. Are their any plans for Folsom's space?
This isn't something I've heard will happen. I expect to see additional anchor spaces empty in the Topsy center... pretty lousy performing stores there for most parties. Outdated Petco and Michaels units with old logo signs, Marshalls did finally remodel the interior recently so maybe they're safe; oversized Dollar Tree in the former Old Navy that does poorly for its size; Best Buy with hardly any traffic...
The center is not doing well?? It is the main shopping plaza in all of Carson City. It seems like there are still many Michaels that still have old logo signs, even the one in Roseville across from the Galleria. It seems like they stopped putting on the new sign when they remodel also, because the Folsom location received a major makeover in 2008 with the new sign. But it received another remodel after that didn't include the newest red sign. CVS seems like they are doing the same thing, remodeling stores without adding their new heart symbol with the sign. I am wondering that since Barnes and Noble is expanding, if a store is planned where Pier 1 was at, or if that would work in Carson City?? How did Borders do before it went out?? That building stayed a Borders ghost for the longest time. Where is the main retail area of Carson City??
The shopping center on Topsy in Carson gets almost no traffic all week or in the evenings. The only time it has any significant traffic is on weekends during the day. The Wal Mart across the road is busy all the time. The Target up the road has a similar traffic pattern to the Topsy shopping center (that is why Ross and Staples both closed there) but the Home Depot has a more typical stream of traffic.

Borders had traffic in Carson City when it was there but the sales were low. It had a lot of people who used it like it was a library and the typical transaction size there was very small. If Barnes & Noble were to open in Carson City I don't think that shopping area would be the right location. I don't really see Barnes & Noble opening in Carson City period.

I've noticed CVS quit doing logo changes on the latest batch of remodels too.

Michaels and Petco have not done any remodel in Carson City. Those stores are original. Michaels looks fine inside. Petco is a total dirty dump.
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

storewanderer wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:35 pm

This isn't something I've heard will happen. I expect to see additional anchor spaces empty in the Topsy center... pretty lousy performing stores there for most parties. Outdated Petco and Michaels units with old logo signs, Marshalls did finally remodel the interior recently so maybe they're safe; oversized Dollar Tree in the former Old Navy that does poorly for its size; Best Buy with hardly any traffic...
The center is not doing well?? It is the main shopping plaza in all of Carson City. It seems like there are still many Michaels that still have old logo signs, even the one in Roseville across from the Galleria. It seems like they stopped putting on the new sign when they remodel also, because the Folsom location received a major makeover in 2008 with the new sign. But it received another remodel after that didn't include the newest red sign. CVS seems like they are doing the same thing, remodeling stores without adding their new heart symbol with the sign. I am wondering that since Barnes and Noble is expanding, if a store is planned where Pier 1 was at, or if that would work in Carson City?? How did Borders do before it went out?? That building stayed a Borders ghost for the longest time. Where is the main retail area of Carson City??
The shopping center on Topsy in Carson gets almost no traffic all week or in the evenings. The only time it has any significant traffic is on weekends during the day. The Wal Mart across the road is busy all the time. The Target up the road has a similar traffic pattern to the Topsy shopping center (that is why Ross and Staples both closed there) but the Home Depot has a more typical stream of traffic.

Borders had traffic in Carson City when it was there but the sales were low. It had a lot of people who used it like it was a library and the typical transaction size there was very small. If Barnes & Noble were to open in Carson City I don't think that shopping area would be the right location. I don't really see Barnes & Noble opening in Carson City period.

Michaels and Petco have not done any remodel in Carson City. Those stores are original. Michaels looks fine inside. Petco is a total dirty dump.
So that area of Carson City doesn't see a bunch of shoppers who travel up to South Lake Tahoe?? Is Tahoe the better location for these stores?? Is there anything positive to be said about the Carson City retail scene??
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

This situation reminds me of the post I wrote a few days ago about non-remodeled store locations: https://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=4363.

How was it that the Target location managed to stay open without the late 2000s/early 2010s remodel and then eventually get the remodel with the newest design in 2020?? Is the area doing better or worse than it was 10 years ago??
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

FrankMoore99 wrote: April 11th, 2024, 1:50 pm

This situation reminds me of the post I wrote a few days ago about non-remodeled store locations: https://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic.php?t=4363.

How was it that the Target location managed to stay open without the late 2000s/early 2010s remodel and then eventually get the remodel with the newest design in 2020?? Is the area doing better or worse than it was 10 years ago??
The Michaels was remodeled, or at least as much as they remodel these days. I see the old layout and new layout in Google review pictures. Their new stores look the same as "remodeled" 20+ year old stores, only difference being different paint color and floors. Most of their old stores were remodeled in this same fashion where they moved the seasonal goods from the back of the store to the front, sometimes made some lighting and flooring upgrades, installed checkout queues and moved from hanging signage to wall graphics. If a new Michaels opened there today based on the newer ones I've visited lately it would be the same store just concrete floors and gray walls instead of red. They don't seem to update the logo when they remodel.

Petco seems to only like to spend capital on Southern California remodels so that all their executives in San Diego can visit and pretend they're doing something useful by constantly changing prototypes and merchandise concepts without ever rolling anything out chain-wide. Outside of SoCal most stores are appalling. If the same store was in SoCal it would be on its third or fourth remodel in ten years. So that's the usual poor execution of Petco who might as well close everything but SoCal at this point as they seem uninterested in operating anywhere else.

Target was aggressively remodeling stores starting with the busiest urban markets and working their way down to the smaller areas when they were slammed by the data breach and saw sales plummet 20% or more. All the remodels were halted for several years. As a result, there were a lot of Target stores that went from a stale 1990s design straight to a new 2017+ design with no changes in between, including most of the DFW and Orlando markets. There were SuperTarget stores in Orlando I visited in 2016 that had horrific conditions, all early 90s neon, carpet that was held together with duct tape, checkouts worn down to the plywood and broken conveyor belts, leaky roofs with stained tiles everywhere, truly Kmart level stuff. One was the closest to Walt Disney World and a true blemish on the brand due to the disgusting conditions. Same store a year later looked like it had just opened with the newest prototype. Target simply had to take about a 5 year break on their remodel campaign due to the billions lost in the data breach scandal and then the liquidation of Canada.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The area has significantly more people than it had 10 years ago but you have to understand the demographics of the area. Minden/Gardnerville to the south is like a retirement community but the retirees are pretty high income generally speaking in the immediate Minden/Gardnerville/Genoa then there is a mixture of lowerish middle class families out around Gardnerville Ranchos area. Wal Mart has multiple high performing stores in the area. Retailers who sell things like hardware, auto parts, do great.

The "remodel" of the Carson Target which was in mint condition from opening day in 1995 until the remodel in 2020, was little more than new paint on SOME walls, building in a Starbucks, replacing flooring in clothing ONLY, and expanding beauty/downsizing electronics. It does not have a P-Fresh. The store has a history of extremely low sales volume, but it got a huge spike in 2020-2021-2022. As of late it appears to be on a downward trend again, they have had a ton of seasonal left there this year starting with Halloween, continuing to Christmas/Easter (where Reno/Sparks Target sold almost all of it by the time it reached 50% off; Carson Target still had many aisles of stuff left at 70%-90% off). The layout of the store and department layouts and even most department sizes are original to the store's 1995 opening. The shelving is original to the store's 1995 opening.

The people who go from South Lake Tahoe to Carson City to shop are primarily going to Costco, Trader Joe's, Wal Mart, and a few of them may go to Target but I suspect not many because that Target has a reputation and it isn't a good one and most people who are used to a "modern" Target back home in the bay area won't bother with the Carson Target which is more like an old outdated Kmart that has a Target sign on it, more than once. Once Target is open at South Lake Tahoe will be the true measure of how much Tahoe traffic went to the Carson Target but my guess is not much.

For people who live in the immediate Carson City or Dayton and do want to go shopping at these retail stores, it isn't much different to drive to Reno to shop where there are a lot more options/larger stores... the placement of the stores outside Carson City was intended to pull traffic from Minden/Gardnerville, South Lake Tahoe, and Carson City. It has worked but there just isn't a lot of traffic to pull between the demographics of Minden/Gardnerville not being a big "shopping" crowd, the tourists at Tahoe wanting to be at Tahoe and not at a chain retailer they can be at back home, and the folks in Carson being a mix of not a big "shopping" crowd either or just driving up to Reno to shop.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

ClownLoach wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:30 pm

The Michaels was remodeled, or at least as much as they remodel these days. I see the old layout and new layout in Google review pictures. Their new stores look the same as "remodeled" 20+ year old stores, only difference being different paint color and floors. Most of their old stores were remodeled in this same fashion where they moved the seasonal goods from the back of the store to the front, sometimes made some lighting and flooring upgrades, installed checkout queues and moved from hanging signage to wall graphics. If a new Michaels opened there today based on the newer ones I've visited lately it would be the same store just concrete floors and gray walls instead of red. They don't seem to update the logo when they remodel.

Petco seems to only like to spend capital on Southern California remodels so that all their executives in San Diego can visit and pretend they're doing something useful by constantly changing prototypes and merchandise concepts without ever rolling anything out chain-wide. Outside of SoCal most stores are appalling. If the same store was in SoCal it would be on its third or fourth remodel in ten years. So that's the usual poor execution of Petco who might as well close everything but SoCal at this point as they seem uninterested in operating anywhere else.

Target was aggressively remodeling stores starting with the busiest urban markets and working their way down to the smaller areas when they were slammed by the data breach and saw sales plummet 20% or more. All the remodels were halted for several years. As a result, there were a lot of Target stores that went from a stale 1990s design straight to a new 2017+ design with no changes in between, including most of the DFW and Orlando markets. There were SuperTarget stores in Orlando I visited in 2016 that had horrific conditions, all early 90s neon, carpet that was held together with duct tape, checkouts worn down to the plywood and broken conveyor belts, leaky roofs with stained tiles everywhere, truly Kmart level stuff. One was the closest to Walt Disney World and a true blemish on the brand due to the disgusting conditions. Same store a year later looked like it had just opened with the newest prototype. Target simply had to take about a 5 year break on their remodel campaign due to the billions lost in the data breach scandal and then the liquidation of Canada.
The PETCO in West Hollywood is a REAL dump!!! (former independent grocer Carl's Market)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 12th, 2024, 8:59 am
ClownLoach wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:30 pm

The PETCO in West Hollywood is a REAL dump!!! (former independent grocer Carl's Market)
All of the Petco Stores in Reno/Sparks/Carson City are complete dumps. The floors haven't been cleaned properly ever and they look so dirty it is disgusting. The shelves are dusty, checkout counters are filthy, one hasn't had shopping carts in months (claimed homeless took them all... yeah maybe they did since they only had like 4 or 5 carts to begin with that isn't saying much- or are the carts in the backroom filled with freight...........), it is really bad. The newer store looks a little better I guess but it is so small it still looks bad and poorly maintained.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

And it has been confirmed that Hobby Lobby is indeed taking over the former Burlington location:

https://carsonnow.org/story/04/17/2024/ ... arson-city

It will be interesting to see how HL does in this location. Shopping center could use some revitilization, but still seems like an odd location to me.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Hobby Lobby will do great in this location.

It will probably be the end for the Jo Ann in Carson though. And I'm not sure if the Michaels will survive either in their current location. Maybe they could try to relocate.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 21st, 2024, 8:49 pm Hobby Lobby will do great in this location.

It will probably be the end for the Jo Ann in Carson though. And I'm not sure if the Michaels will survive either in their current location. Maybe they could try to relocate.
I've never seen a Michaels close after a a Hobby Lobby opens. They are next door to each other all over SoCal and have been for a while now.

Both chains have diverged quite a bit, Hobby Lobby has a fraction of the arts and crafts merchandise it did 15 years ago when they started the western expansion. Michaels has far less home decor than they used to, no lamps anymore or small furniture, and they have really downsized seasonal goods over the years. Hobby Lobby is more of a HomeGoods minus the towels, kitchen tools, and food than a craft store.

Joann on the other hand I have seen close or downsize due to Hobby Lobby. They're definitely more negatively affected. They carry all of the same items but less of each at higher prices.