Stores that never were: Sacramento edition

storewanderer

Re: Stores that never were: Sacramento edition

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:52 pm I was just comparing how in some cities such as Woodland, California near Sacramento, the Walmart was not able to become a supercenter. So Walmart opened up a Neighborhood Market in Woodland about a mile away from the bigger Walmart. It took away many customers and sales from the bigger Walmart. It is unlikely that people would shop for groceries at one and drive a mile to shop at the bigger Walmart. It actually decreases the sales numbers for the big Walmart store. Store performance is what Walmart looks at when closing stores, and since California is suffering from shoplifting then it pits the Walmart stores in line for possible closure due to poor performance and high theft.

Target wanted to expand their tiny 80s decor store which was originally a Gemco at County Fair Mall in Woodland, California. That was rejected. Target left the mall and built a new store farther away.

The mall suffered due to losing its main anchor of Target. It wasn't until Walmart Neighborhood Market moved in when customers came back.
Since Nugget Markets is headquartered in Woodland I expect Wal Mart was kept from expanding in an effort to protect the Nugget Store and the Food 4 Less Store there (franchised by Nugget). Safeway never got into Woodland in the 2000 era expansion around Sacramento area either; they had a site but it never went forward. Safeway had a store in Woodland but dumped it off in the early 90's to Holiday who didn't last long at all there. The Lucky in Woodland was turned into a Super Saver in the mid 90's and did stay until Albertsons LLC closed it (it is now La Superior).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

FrankMoore99 wrote: April 11th, 2024, 10:05 am In the Sacramento area, and in studying retail, I've discovered certain trends of where retailers chose to locate at back in the day and here is the list of the stores that I thought could've existed starting in the 90s or 2000s that never did. Were any of these proposed, but then shelved?? How many of these would still be operating, with out of business chains aside.

Auburn- Since studying the office supply store scene in the early to mid 2000s, many of the towns that still have one office supply store usually used to have two of them. Since Staples still operates in Auburn, was an Office Depot or an OfficeMax proposed for Auburn also in the late 90s/early 2000s??
A PlayPlace for one of the Auburn McDonald's locations

Citrus Heights- I am surprised that Citrus Heights never had a Bed Bath and Beyond, because the demographics for Citrus Heights would've fit and Bed Bath and Beyond tended to operate stores with 200,000 people per store.

Elk Grove- Barnes and Noble-I know this could very well happen in the near future, with rumors already circulating of one proposed in the Ridge Elk Grove center. But was a Barnes and Noble proposed for Elk Grove in the early to mid 2000s??

El Dorado Hills- was a Thirty/Payless/Rite Aid drug store proposed for the Raley's center back in the late 80s/early 90s??

Placerville- an Office Depot or Staples with the now closed OfficeMax store, a department store (JCPenney, Mervyn's, or Gottschalks), and an Albertson's grocery store (pre Lucky merger. Most likely would've become Ralphs)

I'm surprised there wasn't a Carl's Jr playground at any of the Rancho Cordova or central Sacramento locations back in the day?? It appears from looking at the map of the Ferrari Ranch location in Lincoln that a playground was about to be built?? Was that true?? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carl% ... ?entry=ttu

What are your thoughts??
Raleys typically did not allow a drug anchor in its shopping centers since it was running the Superstore format, they got pretty aggressive about that in the 80's and 90's when they developed El Dorado Hills.

I never heard of any office store other than Staples targeting Auburn. Staples targeted many of the rural NorCal cities; Yuba City, Red Bluff, Oroville, Grass Valley, South Lake Tahoe, Jackson/Martell...

The Carls Jr. at Antelope Road in Citrus Heights used to have a playground but it has been gone for many years. That was a franchise unit while most of Sacramento (except Rocklin/Folsom/Auburn/Placerville/Cameron Park) was corporate.
Lincoln was never intended to get a playground. The parking lot is set up the way it is to keep drive through traffic from getting in the way of dine in traffic. This was one of the later corporate Carls units built and their corporate operations were very strong at that time and thought of things like that.
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2024, 9:31 pm
FrankMoore99 wrote: April 11th, 2024, 10:05 am In the Sacramento area, and in studying retail, I've discovered certain trends of where retailers chose to locate at back in the day and here is the list of the stores that I thought could've existed starting in the 90s or 2000s that never did. Were any of these proposed, but then shelved?? How many of these would still be operating, with out of business chains aside.

Auburn- Since studying the office supply store scene in the early to mid 2000s, many of the towns that still have one office supply store usually used to have two of them. Since Staples still operates in Auburn, was an Office Depot or an OfficeMax proposed for Auburn also in the late 90s/early 2000s??
A PlayPlace for one of the Auburn McDonald's locations

Citrus Heights- I am surprised that Citrus Heights never had a Bed Bath and Beyond, because the demographics for Citrus Heights would've fit and Bed Bath and Beyond tended to operate stores with 200,000 people per store.

Elk Grove- Barnes and Noble-I know this could very well happen in the near future, with rumors already circulating of one proposed in the Ridge Elk Grove center. But was a Barnes and Noble proposed for Elk Grove in the early to mid 2000s??

El Dorado Hills- was a Thirty/Payless/Rite Aid drug store proposed for the Raley's center back in the late 80s/early 90s??

Placerville- an Office Depot or Staples with the now closed OfficeMax store, a department store (JCPenney, Mervyn's, or Gottschalks), and an Albertson's grocery store (pre Lucky merger. Most likely would've become Ralphs)

I'm surprised there wasn't a Carl's Jr playground at any of the Rancho Cordova or central Sacramento locations back in the day?? It appears from looking at the map of the Ferrari Ranch location in Lincoln that a playground was about to be built?? Was that true?? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carl% ... ?entry=ttu

What are your thoughts??
Raleys typically did not allow a drug anchor in its shopping centers since it was running the Superstore format, they got pretty aggressive about that in the 80's and 90's when they developed El Dorado Hills.

I never heard of any office store other than Staples targeting Auburn. Staples targeted many of the rural NorCal cities; Yuba City, Red Bluff, Oroville, Grass Valley, South Lake Tahoe, Jackson/Martell...

The Carls Jr. at Antelope Road in Citrus Heights used to have a playground but it has been gone for many years. That was a franchise unit while most of Sacramento (except Rocklin/Folsom/Auburn/Placerville/Cameron Park) was corporate.
Lincoln was never intended to get a playground. The parking lot is set up the way it is to keep drive through traffic from getting in the way of dine in traffic. This was one of the later corporate Carls units built and their corporate operations were very strong at that time and thought of things like that.
Were there any towns that a Staples or Office Depot was proposed that never got one, or playgrounds proposed at Carl's Jr locations that never got one, or ones that already had an outdoor one, but were intended to remodel it into an indoor one?? How are the remaining Staples in those rural markets (Auburn, Yuba City, Grass Valley, and Jackson) doing?? Are they solid or are they marked for closure?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

FrankMoore99 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Were there any towns that a Staples or Office Depot was proposed that never got one, or playgrounds proposed at Carl's Jr locations that never got one, or ones that already had an outdoor one, but were intended to remodel it into an indoor one?? How are the remaining Staples in those rural markets (Auburn, Yuba City, Grass Valley, and Jackson) doing?? Are they solid or are they marked for closure?
Playgrounds were not a common thing for Carl's Jr. however I feel like I saw indoor playgrounds in either Salt Lake City or Boise. I can't recall the exact street locations or suburbs.

CA is still a pretty large market for Staples but based on how the stores look it is difficult to say what may happen in the future. I think CA is their largest state by store count. Jackson is the newest store in the group and it is quite a bit smaller than the others. Almost no furniture. Some of these rural stores used to do surprising volume of copy and print business. It may keep them afloat.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2024, 9:19 pm
Since Nugget Markets is headquartered in Woodland I expect Wal Mart was kept from expanding in an effort to protect the Nugget Store and the Food 4 Less Store there (franchised by Nugget). Safeway never got into Woodland in the 2000 era expansion around Sacramento area either; they had a site but it never went forward. Safeway had a store in Woodland but dumped it off in the early 90's to Holiday who didn't last long at all there. The Lucky in Woodland was turned into a Super Saver in the mid 90's and did stay until Albertsons LLC closed it (it is now La Superior).
Talk about retail protectionism… sounds similar to Meijer and SpartanNash being very protective of their West Michigan home turf. Walmart has little presence in that region. No Jewel or Kroger presence either.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 12:48 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 13th, 2024, 9:19 pm
Talk about retail protectionism… sounds similar to Meijer and SpartanNash being very protective of their West Michigan home turf. Walmart has little presence in that region. No Jewel or Kroger presence either.
And the situation around Minneapolis with Target and Supervalu.