99 CENT ONLY closing

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: 99 CENT ONLY closing

Post by storewanderer »

Store in Reno is now giving all customers the "employee discount." All purchases are an extra 20% off. This isn't advertised anywhere and you find out when you go to pay. The receipt says "employee ID 111" whatever that is. I'm not sure what the extremely rude cashier did to make the discount come off but it seemed something had to be done on her end to make this happen. They are also now holding a "fixture sale."

Since most of their aisles have signs that say 10% off even on categories like hardware that are 30% off customers are hardly buying anything. The shelves have really filled back up since they emptied the backroom.

They have almost emptied the entire backroom. Had some great spring/summer items back there. At 30% off plus this extra 20% off that is 44% off. Good deal.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

No additional discounts here. The Lake Forest locations were pretty much cleaned out last weekend. Foothilsl Ranch doesn’t even look like it’s going out of business. Still had most produce, all marked 50% off.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:29 pm No additional discounts here. The Lake Forest locations were pretty much cleaned out last weekend. Foothilsl Ranch doesn’t even look like it’s going out of business. Still had most produce, all marked 50% off.
It looks like you have to find an April closing store to get the additional discounts.

Not too many of those in the Los Angeles area.

Inventory levels seem to vary by store but my observation is in the stores where food is empty the customers have stopped coming, and the non food areas are quite well stocked. They're going to have to do some very serious markdowns.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Bagels wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:29 pm No additional discounts here. The Lake Forest locations were pretty much cleaned out last weekend. Foothilsl Ranch doesn’t even look like it’s going out of business. Still had most produce, all marked 50% off.
That is a cursed location. Can't believe they actually bought the building.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

ClownLoach wrote: April 21st, 2024, 1:07 am
That is a cursed location. Can't believe they actually bought the building.
Why do you think it’s cursed? Curious!

I saw that they owned it. I had always wondered how it stayed in business, as there’s rarely any foot traffic. It’s a really nice store - clean, modern and they do a good job at rotating produce.

Kinda a spooky area. Trial is ongoing for the young man who appeared to have been killed across the street in the Hobby Lobby parking lot and body buried in the nearby park.
HoustonRetail
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by HoustonRetail »

Hi folks, I'm a long-time listener and a first-time caller. GOB Sales in Texas have essentially matched out-of-state operations. Our stores are now advertising that they're in their final seven days, and I've been referred to next Monday for fixture sales. Still, no WARN notice has been posted, but their D.C. (the old Albertsons one) is up for sale and interestingly marketed as 100% leased, which is technically correct at the moment, but this is a new listing. Also, two Texas stores were under development when the bankruptcy was announced. One was in Corpus and was far enough along to get a wooden street sign. The other was in Brownsville, and it looks like it was nixed before a lease was signed.

D.C. Listing: https://invest.jll.com/us/en/listings/i ... ts-only-dc

Corpus Store: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Sngz1Bifgcqs63xg8
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

These liquidation sales, I really wonder how they plan to get rid of all the product. I think they're going to have a hard time with some of it. The inventory levels in CA are so high compared to what I saw out of state.

But without food customers seem to have moved on from 99 Only.

It is almost like they needed to continue the grocery program for a month to generate traffic while liquidating the general merchandise.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

HoustonRetail wrote: April 21st, 2024, 7:54 pm Hi folks, I'm a long-time listener and a first-time caller. GOB Sales in Texas have essentially matched out-of-state operations. Our stores are now advertising that they're in their final seven days, and I've been referred to next Monday for fixture sales. Still, no WARN notice has been posted, but their D.C. (the old Albertsons one) is up for sale and interestingly marketed as 100% leased, which is technically correct at the moment, but this is a new listing. Also, two Texas stores were under development when the bankruptcy was announced. One was in Corpus and was far enough along to get a wooden street sign. The other was in Brownsville, and it looks like it was nixed before a lease was signed.

D.C. Listing: https://invest.jll.com/us/en/listings/i ... ts-only-dc

Corpus Store: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Sngz1Bifgcqs63xg8
I know that DC was way over capacity for what they had built up thus far - it was almost too much for Albertsons before they left Houston.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Retail Archaeology has visited 2 Mesa, Ariz. locations and posts this video:
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

The chandler store