Pavilions - Pasadena, CA

California. No non-grocery posts.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Pavilions - Pasadena, CA

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

On E. California Blvd near S. Lake Ave

This is an interesting store that I thought deserved a mention on this forums. I always pass by this store since it's down the street from my gym. A few nights ago, I decided to walk in to buy myself a post workout snack.

This has to be the smallest store in the Pavilions chain, and possibly one of the smallest sized store in the So Cal ACI division. The aisles are very narrow, and the frozen/wine/and Deli departments are all crammed in a small little corner. Plus there's no self checkout available at this store.

The store looks pretty old but not in terrible shape. It still has the original standard Lifestyle decor, that has been left untouched aside from the typical ACI lighting "upgrades".

With all the former Pavilions stores that have been converted to a Vons (Arcadia, Monrovia, Long Beach etc) I am surprised this tiny store has been left as a Pavilions, as there's nothing particular about this store that makes it worthy of a Pavilions.

It's as if Safeway, then ACI forgot about this store and it slip under their radar :mrgreen:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Pavilions - Pasadena, CA

Post by ClownLoach »

SoCalShopper1023 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:48 pm On E. California Blvd near S. Lake Ave

This is an interesting store that I thought deserved a mention on this forums. I always pass by this store since it's down the street from my gym. A few nights ago, I decided to walk in to buy myself a post workout snack.

This has to be the smallest store in the Pavilions chain, and possibly one of the smallest sized store in the So Cal ACI division. The aisles are very narrow, and the frozen/wine/and Deli departments are all crammed in a small little corner. Plus there's no self checkout available at this store.

The store looks pretty old but not in terrible shape. It still has the original standard Lifestyle decor, that has been left untouched aside from the typical ACI lighting "upgrades".

With all the former Pavilions stores that have been converted to a Vons (Arcadia, Monrovia, Long Beach etc) I am surprised this tiny store has been left as a Pavilions, as there's nothing particular about this store that makes it worthy of a Pavilions.

It's as if Safeway, then ACI forgot about this store and it slip under their radar :mrgreen:
The #1 criteria for keeping or gaining the Pavilions nameplate is liquor sales. If those aren't there it changes to a Vons or Albertsons.

All the pictures look very nicely merchandised, clean, well maintained, and upgraded amenities such as better meat cases are in place. I can show you "forgotten" ACI stores, this ain't one of them.

Pavilions last decade of remodeled stores also get a new seafood line from Santa Monica Seafood. One Pavilions (La Jolla) is testing two additional concepts, a scratch bakery and a ultra deluxe meat counter with a professional butcher on duty who walks the packaged meats when not serving behind the counter. Montecito is testing a new line of fancy bagels and a full bagel menu like you'd expect to see at Einstein with egg sandwiches and such.

None of the other features are unique (Boars Head, expanded produce, etc) and exist at select Vons as well.

My understanding is Pasadena is exceptionally difficult to work with on new construction, expansions, major remodels. My last company tried for two decades to relocate their small and cramped Pasadena store and finally gave up.

I would imagine this store is like many other tiny SoCal markets, insanely profitable and impossible to work with. Ideally this would be a site for a rebuild instead of a remodel, where they built out to the curb and did basement or rooftop parking. But those types of projects require years and years of red tape, meetings, lobbying city hall, listening to progress blocking NIMBY voters who would rather have a tiny, insufficient grocery store rather than be annoyed by construction sounds for a year while it's rebuilt and so forth. All of those are common in Pasadena and as a result I think this store won't look much different for decades to come.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This store previously had a different add on banner. There was a specific banner for smaller Pavilions. Like Pavilions Express. But it wasn't that specifically. I don't remember what it was.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Small format banner may have been Pavilions Place. But there seems to be confusion as the shopping center with Pavilions in Westminster was called Pavilions Place.

I think the back of an old Vons card states the name of this smaller format.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: May 7th, 2024, 4:36 pm Small format banner may have been Pavilions Place. But there seems to be confusion as the shopping center with Pavilions in Westminster was called Pavilions Place.

I think the back of an old Vons card states the name of this smaller format.
The small format was indeed called Pavilions Place. No relationship with the Westminster center which housed a nice, large format Pavilions that was one of the first grocery stores in the area with high warehouse open ceilings, giant exposed HVAC ducts and such.

The word "Place" was in a handwriting style script, as if drawn on top of the original purple and red logo. I believe it was an experiment to try putting what was the superstore sized Pavilions into a neighborhood Vons size box (or even less).

The only "Place" locations I am aware of were Lido island (now a West Marine), Torrance (now a Vons), and this one which lost the "Place." I think the Torrance store was converted 15 years ago almost to the day. I think Seal Beach may have been a Pavilions Place before being demolished and rebuilt as a modern Safeway Pavilions. But Seal Beach might have lost the "Place" sub brand in a remodel before the bulldozers rolled. It was fully leveled and rebuilt, without one wall remaining, not remodeled.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

From the Vons entry in Wikipedia:
In October 1985, Vons introduced Pavilions, a "combination store" concept which offered a wider variety of upscale products as well as pharmacy and other non-food products and services. Some stores that were smaller were branded Pavilions Place.
The Pasadena store was definitely a Pavilions Place. It was a Pantry market before its conversion. (The Pantry chain was owned by Vons.) I seem to remember another Pavilions Place in the area--perhaps the one in South Pasadena (the one that's across the street from Vons)?

Groceteria thread about Pantry; includes a photo of the Pasadena store.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

SoCalShopper1023 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 2:48 pm On E. California Blvd near S. Lake Ave

Here is another Pavilions (formerly Pavilions Place) that is very very small;

9467 W Olympic Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90212
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: May 8th, 2024, 8:12 am

Here is another Pavilions (formerly Pavilions Place) that is very very small;

9467 W Olympic Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90212
It seems that any Pavilions that wasn't a sprawling 60,000+ Sq ft behemoth was branded with "Place" at one point... Thanks for reminding me about Beverly Hills. I think there are more but I cannot remember.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

Pavilions Place came into existence with Vons purchase of Safeway in the 80's. They rebranded the smaller Safeway (and Pantry) stores in affluent areas to Pavilions Place since they could not fit all of the amenities the large Pavilions carried. They were basically a small format Pavilions with a limited assortment, limited amenities and a different layout.

Pavilions Place stores that come to mind:

West Hollywood
Sherman Oaks
Beverly Hills
Torrance
Pasadena
South Pasadena
Hollywood
Santa Monica

There might be more but those are the ones I can remember right now.

Torrance

Pasadena
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

steps wrote: May 15th, 2024, 12:21 am Pavilions Place came into existence with Vons purchase of Safeway in the 80's. They rebranded the smaller Safeway (and Pantry) stores in affluent areas to Pavilions Place since they could not fit all of the amenities the large Pavilions carried. They were basically a small format Pavilions with a limited assortment, limited amenities and a different layout.

Pavilions Place stores that come to mind:

West Hollywood
Sherman Oaks
Beverly Hills
Torrance
Pasadena
South Pasadena
Hollywood
Santa Monica

There might be more but those are the ones I can remember right now.

Torrance

Pasadena

Thanks for this and good to see you hear and Groceteria! :D Your knowledge of Safeway, et al is greatly appreciated.

I do not remember the one in West Hollywood as a "Place". Do you have an address or foto? It can't be the current Pavilions, is it?