Law Passed To Ban Plastic Reusable Bags

California. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Law Passed To Ban Plastic Reusable Bags

Post by Alpha8472 »

A new law to ban reusable plastic shopping bags has passed the legislature.

Now what will people use?

https://fox5sandiego.com/sustainable-sa ... ping-bags/
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Law Passed To Ban Plastic Reusable Bags

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 24th, 2024, 4:59 am A new law to ban reusable plastic shopping bags has passed the legislature.

Now what will people use?

https://fox5sandiego.com/sustainable-sa ... ping-bags/
It sounds like it only goes after the thick plastic bags....so I would assume stores can keep giving out or selling those 'woven' bags like Target has (although its debatable if those are any better). Otherwise, paper, empty boxes, crates, etc..
storewanderer

Re: Law Passed To Ban Plastic Reusable Bags

Post by storewanderer »

This goes into effect in 2026 and only targets stores with a liquor license and the super thick plaatic bags. Those super thick plastic bags are a terrible waste and need to go away.

Most retailers (entire malls, major retailers) nothing will change they will keep using single plastic use bags in California with no bag fee.

The 10 cent fee continues at the stores with a liquor license (when the store bothers to charge it).

I agree with getting rid of the super thick plastic bags but also scraping this law entirely and returning to single use plastic bags with a fee attached. There is however no scenario where I think these super thick plastic bags should be allowed.

Paper bags are significantly worse for the environment than single use plastic bags. The high water usage to produce them and the pollution to produce them are major issues.