Stop & Shop closures

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Stop & Shop closures

Post by buckguy »

You guys are slipping. S&S took advantage of a slow news day to announce an unspecified number of closures. This link has more details than the others: https://www.retail-insight-network.com/ ... osures-us/

It also mentions more investment in Food Lion and Hannaford. The implication may be that they are bullish on New England (Hannaford) which would suggest that the closures will be in places like northern NJ.
marketreportblog
Dairy Manager
Dairy Manager

Re: Stop & Shop closures

Post by marketreportblog »

buckguy wrote: May 26th, 2024, 5:29 am You guys are slipping. S&S took advantage of a slow news day to announce an unspecified number of closures. This link has more details than the others: https://www.retail-insight-network.com/ ... osures-us/

It also mentions more investment in Food Lion and Hannaford. The implication may be that they are bullish on New England (Hannaford) which would suggest that the closures will be in places like northern NJ.
That came from the Ahold Delhaize strategy day, which we discussed in detail here. I attended the call where the announcements were made and transcribed quite a few more quotes than any news outlet reported, which I posted to that discussion topic.

I think yes, Hannaford and Food Lion are doing really well and looking to expand, while Stop & Shop is looking to shrink. They discussed exiting certain markets, without providing specifics. My guess at this point is central Jersey (probably anything south of Elizabeth) and central/western Massachusetts (probably west of Framingham) will see the most closures. Those stores are neglected and seem mostly low-volume. My guess is they’ll also close a lot of the more remote Connecticut stores, while renovating the rest and probably the remainder of the MA and RI stores.