Dr. Pepper Is Now The Number 2 Soda Brand After Pepsi

Discussion of product brands seen across the retail landscape. This is not to discuss products themselves, just the news and history of associated brands.
Alpha8472

Dr. Pepper Is Now The Number 2 Soda Brand After Pepsi

Post by Alpha8472 »

Dr. Pepper is now the number 2 soda brand and has finally beat Pepsi.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/03/business ... index.html
Last edited by Alpha8472 on June 6th, 2024, 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pseudo3d

Re: Dr. Pepper Is Now The Number 2 Soda Brand After Pepsi

Post by pseudo3d »

Pepsi's best days was when they were competing head to head with Coke. Meanwhile, Pepsi kept endlessly trying to screw around with Pepsi's logo and branding.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local ... -autopilot

This article contains more numbers, saying that Pepsi and Dr Pepper are essentially tied with only 0.03% difference between them (8.34% for Dr Pepper and 8.31% for Pepsi.) Coca Cola remains in the lead with 19.18% market share.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Isn't Dr Pepper (or whoever is in second place) the number 2 behind Coke?
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Also, Dr Pepper seems to be available in both Coke and Pepsi fountains. Mr Pibb, which is Coke’s “pepper clone” is hard to find anywhere. Coke bottlers like Swire only sell Dr Pepper.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

jamcool wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:36 am Also, Dr Pepper seems to be available in both Coke and Pepsi fountains. Mr Pibb, which is Coke’s “pepper clone” is hard to find anywhere. Coke bottlers like Swire only sell Dr Pepper.
This is because in some places (Texas especially) Mr. Pibb is fightin' words.

Most independent bottlers still sell Coke and DP, but the Coke-owned locations like Coca-Cola United push Mr. Pibb. McDonald's is one of the biggest to do this - you'll never see Mr. Pibb there. However, because my local Coke is the Coca-Cola United flavor, I see a lot of Mr. Pibb around here. My local DP distributor also distributes Pepsi, but avoids the one-off and the oddballs that Pepsi and DP put out there.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

wnetmacman wrote: June 5th, 2024, 8:48 am
jamcool wrote: June 5th, 2024, 7:36 am Also, Dr Pepper seems to be available in both Coke and Pepsi fountains. Mr Pibb, which is Coke’s “pepper clone” is hard to find anywhere. Coke bottlers like Swire only sell Dr Pepper.

Most independent bottlers still sell Coke and DP, but the Coke-owned locations like Coca-Cola United push Mr. Pibb. McDonald's is one of the biggest to do this - you'll never see Mr. Pibb there. However, because my local Coke is the Coca-Cola United flavor, I see a lot of Mr. Pibb around here. My local DP distributor also distributes Pepsi, but avoids the one-off and the oddballs that Pepsi and DP put out there.
Go back a couple decades or so and you'd find Coke and Pepsi doing similar business in stores (with Pepsi more popular in some places), but Coke always dominated fountain and vending sales. Pepsi used to be more competitive in both areas than they are now and, of course, Pepsi used to own fast food franchises. The profit is in the syrup rather than the packaged goods, which is why Coke always has been more aggressive with fountain sales. Pepsi diversified out of carbonated beverages before Coke and also into snack food. Carbonated beverages have been losing market share for years, so I'd imagine that part of Pepsi's retreat has been strategic.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: June 20th, 2024, 12:10 pm
wnetmacman wrote: June 5th, 2024, 8:48 am

Go back a couple decades or so and you'd find Coke and Pepsi doing similar business in stores (with Pepsi more popular in some places), but Coke always dominated fountain and vending sales. Pepsi used to be more competitive in both areas than they are now and, of course, Pepsi used to own fast food franchises. The profit is in the syrup rather than the packaged goods, which is why Coke always has been more aggressive with fountain sales. Pepsi diversified out of carbonated beverages before Coke and also into snack food. Carbonated beverages have been losing market share for years, so I'd imagine that part of Pepsi's retreat has been strategic.
Pepsi is stronger in certain territories like the upper midwest. You will see a lot more Pepsi products via fountain at "regional" fast food chains in those types of regions (chains like Taco John's).

I also think Pepsi had/has a strong? brand in Aquafina. I feel like that was one of the first bottled water brands I saw nationally. Obviously that is a very high profit product.

I think diversification is key and Pepsi has been diversifying away from "Pepsi" for years.

Dr. Pepper is good. So are various knockoffs. Kroger had a seltzer version of their Dr. K or whatever it is, it was great, but it disappeared during 2020 and never came back.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

storewanderer wrote: June 22nd, 2024, 12:41 am Kroger had a seltzer version of their Dr. K or whatever it is, it was great, but it disappeared during 2020 and never came back.
Wonder if this may be for supplier or health-conscious reasons. Wegmans recently discontinued their line of private-label sodas for the latter.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BatteryMill wrote: June 22nd, 2024, 10:03 am
storewanderer wrote: June 22nd, 2024, 12:41 am Kroger had a seltzer version of their Dr. K or whatever it is, it was great, but it disappeared during 2020 and never came back.
Wonder if this may be for supplier or health-conscious reasons. Wegmans recently discontinued their line of private-label sodas for the latter.
This was an unsweetented seltzer, no sugar, artificial sweetener, etc. They had a root beer version, cola verson, Dr version, and one other one that I am forgetting. They merchandised them on the soda aisle itself as opposed to the seltzer water aisle. There was some confusion with customers thinking it was actual soda then buying and finding it was unsweetened seltzer but that didn't happen overly often.

It was manufactured by a Kroger plant.

There was/is a Facebook group about it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/445967630051131/