365 by Whole Foods / Lake Oswego

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

365 by Whole Foods / Lake Oswego

Post by SamSpade »

With about a month to go before the announced opening date, it seems like they have a lot of work to do. I was in this area yesterday and the former Albertsons has a gaping mouth where a wall used to be at the front - but it looked somewhat empty on the interior.

Store is already harming goodwill with nearby shoppers / businesses: No Parking!
klkla

Re: 365 by Whole Foods / Lake Oswego

Post by klkla »

SamSpade wrote:Store is already harming goodwill with nearby shoppers / businesses: No Parking!
The number one complaint at the first 365 in Los Angeles has been parking so I have no doubt that WF asked this shopping center's management to get control of parking now BEFORE the store opens.

The second biggest complaint I've seen at the first 365 is long check out lines. There is one long line and then customers are directed to an open station when one becomes available. The line moves fast but it gives a bad perception. I wonder if they will change this set up in future stores?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

klkla wrote:
SamSpade wrote:Store is already harming goodwill with nearby shoppers / businesses: No Parking!
The number one complaint at the first 365 in Los Angeles has been parking so I have no doubt that WF asked this shopping center's management to get control of parking now BEFORE the store opens.

The second biggest complaint I've seen at the first 365 is long check out lines. There is one long line and then customers are directed to an open station when one becomes available. The line moves fast but it gives a bad perception. I wonder if they will change this set up in future stores?
Do you believe your observations are similar to some issues at Trader Joe's that are accepted by fans?

I love Trader Joe's but I do not shop there as often as I could because of parking issues, fast but long lines, congested shopping experience and a few other things.

Is 365's parking and busy front end like Trader Joe's?
klkla

Post by klkla »

veteran+ wrote:Do you believe your observations are similar to some issues at Trader Joe's that are accepted by fans?

I love Trader Joe's but I do not shop there as often as I could because of parking issues, fast but long lines, congested shopping experience and a few other things.

Is 365's parking and busy front end like Trader Joe's?

I don't think regular Whole Foods shoppers are going to like the single line approach to check out, but they're already used to crazy parking at most WF stores (at least here in Southern California).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

klkla wrote:The second biggest complaint I've seen at the first 365 is long check out lines. There is one long line and then customers are directed to an open station when one becomes available. The line moves fast but it gives a bad perception. I wonder if they will change this set up in future stores?
One of the chains here tried that for a while but has now (I think, anyhow) gone back to the regular setup of separate lanes.

It seems to make sense - after all how many times have you gotten in what looked like a short line only to have that one order that takes forever to process in front of you? With this system they can send people to whatever lane(s) are moving along so the first to arrive at checkout gets the first available cashier and so on.
klkla

Post by klkla »

BillyGr wrote:It seems to make sense - after all how many times have you gotten in what looked like a short line only to have that one order that takes forever to process in front of you? With this system they can send people to whatever lane(s) are moving along so the first to arrive at checkout gets the first available cashier and so on.
I agree it makes sense... It just creates a perception of a long line even though it's probably quicker in reality.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

SIngle lane? Interesting. I think consumers have adapted. This is very common at:
  • Nordstrom Rack
  • Old Navy
  • Fry's Electronics
  • Express / self checkout lanes in urban supermarkets (ie. Capitol Hill QFC in Seattle, Burlingame Fred Meyer in Portland)
to name a few.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Today's the day. It appears yesterday local media were invited to the preview day:
OregonLive.com: 365 by Whole Foods
KGW.com: 365 by Whole Foods to open in Lake Oswego note, this video starts automatically :evil:
Lake Oswego Review / Portland Tribune take

Post-open report:
Whole Foods' Lake Oswego store off to a busy start