Closed drive-up tellers?

luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Closed drive-up tellers?

Post by luckysaver »

Drive-up teller windows were common in the LA area in the 1980s/1990's - especially for the two largest banks in LA County at the time - Security Pacific and Bank of America. Bank of America buildings that had those lanes replaced the windows with ATMs upon remodeling.

A former Security Pacific Bank branch in West Covina CA after the BofA merger quickly converted to a Filipino barbecue-bakery restaurant called "DJ Bibingkahan" - they preserved the outside of the building and fenced off the drive-up teller lanes (now the manager's private parking space.

luckysaver
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

The bank I use has quite a few drive thru lanes (probably 6 plus a drive thru ATM). The drive thrus are always busy, particularly on Fridays. I have noticed most of the other banks in my area such as Wells Fargo only have two or three drive thru lanes and some of the newer locations have none.

Maybe it's because my bank is also a credit union, but I have noticed in general that credit unions tend to have more drive thru lanes than traditional banks.

I remember some of the older bank buildings in my area would have the drive thru tellers in a separate building in the parking lot across from the main building. Most of those older setups like that also had more than just two or three lanes.
That particular Bank of America building closed about the time of the recession, when they were closing a few of their branches in the area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was in an office complex last week in the middle of the day on I think it was Tuesday and there is a bank there, I didn't ever notice before but I saw it had 4 or 5 drive through lanes in the back. There were 3 cars there using the drive through at the same time. I was quite surprised. When I left about 45 minutes later, the drive through was deserted.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

One of the largest credit unions in Nevada closed all of its drive-up tellers in favor of interactive teller machines (ITMs) staffed by a call center in Reno. It is often faster to receive ITM service than from a person inside the same building. I saw the same thing with a large credit union in Oregon as well.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:00 am One of the largest credit unions in Nevada closed all of its drive-up tellers in favor of interactive teller machines (ITMs) staffed by a call center in Reno. It is often faster to receive ITM service than from a person inside the same building. I saw the same thing with a large credit union in Oregon as well.
Are those staffing the call center actually employed by the credit union, or are they just contracted to run the call center?
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:14 am
bryceleinan wrote: January 30th, 2022, 11:00 am One of the largest credit unions in Nevada closed all of its drive-up tellers in favor of interactive teller machines (ITMs) staffed by a call center in Reno. It is often faster to receive ITM service than from a person inside the same building. I saw the same thing with a large credit union in Oregon as well.
Are those staffing the call center actually employed by the credit union, or are they just contracted to run the call center?
According to the local branch manager, they are employees of the credit union. They do have a contracted overflow call center - you can tell because they pronounce Nevada incorrectly, and cannot do much on your account.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The DC a area has quite a few credit unions, but I can’t think of any with drive thrus. The banks that still have them seem to be pre-2000 branches. The interactive teller thing also seems popular with DC credit unions. It’s made it easier for them to reopen branches esp. for slow days like Saturdays.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: January 30th, 2022, 2:25 pm
According to the local branch manager, they are employees of the credit union. They do have a contracted overflow call center - you can tell because they pronounce Nevada incorrectly, and cannot do much on your account.
That is what I was wondering is if they have contracted people running things, how much they could actually be of help. But just contracting out for overflow may resolve some issues more efficiently, it is probably better than longer hold times to wait for the employees to be free to assist...
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: January 30th, 2022, 8:54 pm
bryceleinan wrote: January 30th, 2022, 2:25 pm

That is what I was wondering is if they have contracted people running things, how much they could actually be of help. But just contracting out for overflow may resolve some issues more efficiently, it is probably better than longer hold times to wait for the employees to be free to assist...
My understanding is that they contract with Co-op shared branching’s call center, which means they can do the same things a shared branch can do. This credit union contracts out to Kasasa as well, with mixed results. ITM and contract tellers for ITMs seem to be the future of drive up banking though. Regular tellers at the drive through will go the way of Blockbuster or Monkey Wards.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: February 1st, 2022, 10:47 pm
My understanding is that they contract with Co-op shared branching’s call center, which means they can do the same things a shared branch can do. This credit union contracts out to Kasasa as well, with mixed results. ITM and contract tellers for ITMs seem to be the future of drive up banking though. Regular tellers at the drive through will go the way of Blockbuster or Monkey Wards.
I don't disagree. The biggest surprise is how long it is taking for this to happen. I can't even remember the last time I had a face to face interaction in a bank. It was before COVID era.