Circle K Camera Based Self Checkout

Gas stations & convenience stores (AM/PM, 7-Eleven, etc.)
Alpha8472

Re: Circle K Camera Based Self Checkout

Post by Alpha8472 »

Circle K must not care that they are losing money by all of the items that ring up for the wrong price. These machines promise to save money on labor, but they do not deliver on their promises.

The maker of these machines will go out of business. Those machine companies just want to trick you into buying junk.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I haven't seen one of these systems in action, but it seems like an overcomplicated solution to something that just doesn't need to be complicated. Maverik stores have a pretty effective self checkout system that's basically a touchscreen monitor, a hand barcode scanner, a payment terminal and a receipt printer (although you have to specifically tell it to print a receipt if you need one,) and that setup works perfectly fine. I can get in, scan my items, pay and be out the door in less than a minute. Even with the self checkout it's still common to see at least two people running the front end in a Maverik store, and a lot of these stores seem to do enough volume to keep them both busy.

I have seen some sort of half baked "scan and go" solution in some 7-Eleven stores where you scan your items and pay in the app, then show a QR code to a camera in some sort of box at the door to check out, but this seems to be a pandemic stopgap solution for social distancing and I'm not sure if the boxes are even working in some stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Maverik's self checkout works fine. It was recently upgraded to do fuel prepays and is a bit clumsy on those, but eventually it works. They just convert a normal register to a self checkout. They can convert them back to a normal register at any time. All Maverik units I know of have self checkout. Some also have a freestanding self checkout somewhere near the food counter.