McDonald’s Grimace Meal

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: McDonald’s Grimace Meal

Post by veteran+ »

rwsandiego wrote: June 14th, 2023, 10:54 pm
BatteryMill wrote: June 14th, 2023, 9:25 pm
rwsandiego wrote: June 14th, 2023, 5:31 pm Someone must have made a mistake. Generation X is not usually targeted by a fast-food campaign. It's usually Boomers and Gen Z.
...Not to mention that generation probably has the fondest memories of McDonald's past....
Yes, we do! :)

Grocery shopping was always fun for my brother and me because if we behaved ourselves, we could go to McDonald's afterward and redeem one of our McDonaldland calendar coupons.

Little did my parents know that I LOVED grocery shopping.

I LOVED shopping of all sorts UNTIL I became a Retailer.

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

My Mom was a big fashion designer in NYC and took us shopping all the time in the City at the upscale stores. We also shopped at the larger grocery stores like Pathmark, Food Fair, etc at the time.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

veteran+ wrote: June 15th, 2023, 9:21 am
rwsandiego wrote: June 14th, 2023, 10:54 pm
BatteryMill wrote: June 14th, 2023, 9:25 pm ...Not to mention that generation probably has the fondest memories of McDonald's past....
Yes, we do! :)

Grocery shopping was always fun for my brother and me because if we behaved ourselves, we could go to McDonald's afterward and redeem one of our McDonaldland calendar coupons.

Little did my parents know that I LOVED grocery shopping.

I LOVED shopping of all sorts UNTIL I became a Retailer. ...
Funny how that works, isn't it?

Banking was another interest and I loved seeing what various banks' branches looked like until I was responsible for in-branch technology for a bank. Visiting competitors' branches became part of my job and the enjoyment value diminished significantly.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

How long is McDonald's going to continue to bundle their same typical menu items together (okay, and some purple dye for a shake) and run with it like its a new and extraordinary thing? The Grimace promo is a tad better than the music/TikTok star meals, but it still doesn't do much for me.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

mbz321 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 8:19 pm How long is McDonald's going to continue to bundle their same typical menu items together (okay, and some purple dye for a shake) and run with it like its a new and extraordinary thing? The Grimace promo is a tad better than the music/TikTok star meals, but it still doesn't do much for me.
A Hamburgler meal would make me think I could have it for free.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: June 15th, 2023, 8:19 pm How long is McDonald's going to continue to bundle their same typical menu items together (okay, and some purple dye for a shake) and run with it like its a new and extraordinary thing? The Grimace promo is a tad better than the music/TikTok star meals, but it still doesn't do much for me.
McDonald's seems to be getting really stale in general. There is no innovation. They seem to be surviving on price hikes in the US. This is a chain that has frankly quit trying. Even Wendy's keeps coming out with various new items/temporary items, whether or not one can say the items are any good is up for debate but Wendy's has come up with an excellent breakfast program and has run some interesting temp items this year like Borubon BBQ Burgers/Chicken, Pretzel Bun sandwiches, Italian Chicken Sandwich that was topped with fried mozzarella and a surprisingly okay marinara sauce, etc.

Also I notice they are completely downplaying McCafe which I find interesting given how business at Starbucks, Dutch Bros., etc. is booming.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

My coworker made me go to McDonald's to get the Grimace shake, but it was not sold by itself. I had to buy either a Big Mac meal or 10 chicken nugget meal. It was $13.89 for the Big Mac meal and $13.29 for the Nugget meal.

The worst part was that I ordered the nugget meal, but they gave me a Big Mac. The Big Mac was made wrong also. It had 1 patty and no middle bread. Normally there are 2 patties.

I had already left the restaurant and didn't want to go all the way back.

I did notice the new melted cheese and onions on the burger. It was a little better than the old way that they made the burgers.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

How does that compare to the regular prices for the Big Mac or 10 piece McNugget meals? Looking in the app at some of the locations in Greensboro I'm seeing the price for both as $8.29, compared to $7.99 for the regular combos for only a 30 cent difference. I do see it listed as being currently unavailable at some locations though.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity I went and looked up the Snohomish WA location I used to go to when I lived in Lake Stevens, and saw that they're charging $12.99 for the Birthday Meal (both types), compared to $9.99 for the regular Big Mac combo, for a whopping $3 difference between the two. Those locations charge $3.99 for a medium shake compared to $1.39 for the regular medium drink. for comparison the medium shake in Greensboro is $3.19, so the Birthday Meal is actually a pretty good deal here if you want the shake.
Last edited by Brian Lutz on June 16th, 2023, 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

It's supposed to be a mixed berry flavoring, so not just dye but a flavor not usually offered.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: June 15th, 2023, 10:12 pm
McDonald's seems to be getting really stale in general. There is no innovation. They seem to be surviving on price hikes in the US. This is a chain that has frankly quit trying. . .

Also I notice they are completely downplaying McCafe which I find interesting given how business at Starbucks, Dutch Bros., etc. is booming.
Definitely true here in the US. I've seen on Bill Oakley's Instagram @thatbilloakley and such that there is a lot of innovation and offerings outside the country, even a few in Canada (though yes, like US stores pretty limited).

I'm a fan of McCafe but do run into issues with stores sometimes saying their machines are in 'cleaning,' 'down,' or employees that don't seem to know how to prepare the (standard) recipes.

The smalls are no longer $2.00 but even at $2.20 are still a great value. Medium and large items here are between $3-5, which Starbucks regularly pushes $7 for "frappes" these days.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Grimace meal is 20 cents cheaper than the regular Big Mac Meal and the Grimace Nugget meal is 10 cents cheaper than the regular meal in the San Francisco Bay Area.

The Grimace meals are a better deal in some areas.