Greedflation & Fast Food

Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Greedflation & Fast Food

Post by Bagels »

Super S wrote: July 6th, 2023, 8:08 am I have to wonder if some of these restaurants (particularly those such as Jack In The Box which has been basically opening and closing when they feel like it and is often drive-thru only) also raised prices to discourage some people from coming there in the first place to keep the drive-thru lines shorter. Some of the price hikes have been significant, and many are at or above what their food is worth now.
I doubt they would discourage sales :). Closing the dining room equates into huge savings, so I'm not surprised many opt for that option. Chick-Fil-A has a few restaurants under renovation locally and on a community message forum, rumor is they're being converted to drive-through only. Meanwhile, places like Raising Cane's, In-N-Out, etc. that rely heavily on inside business, couldn't wait to get their doors open.

As long as customers keep coming, prices will continue to increase.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Here's an interesting website:

https://fastfoodindex.walzr.com/

In November 2022, the website sourced the price of McDonald's Big Mac, Chick-Fil-A Sandwich, Taco Bell Crunchy Tack and Chicken Burrito at Chipotle at every single location. You can look up local restaurants by ZIP code and see what they charge.

For me locally, here's the prices most locations were charging in November vs. now:
McDonald's Big Mac - 5.49 -> 6.29 (14.6% increase)
Chick-Fil-A Sandwich - 5.25 -> 5.69 (8.4% increase)
Taco Bell Crunchy Taco - 1.79 -> 1.89 (5.6% increase)
Chipotle Chicken Burrito - 8.85 -> 8.85 (no change)

Per the website, the least & most expensive Big Mac's in November vs. now:
Eufaula, Oklahoma - 3.39 -> 3.59 (5.9% increase)
Lee, MA - 7.89 -> 7.09 (-10.1% decrease)
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Bagels wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:22 pm Here's an interesting website:
Probably not surprising on that decrease, after it made the local newscasts in this area (out of Albany, NY, but they cover the Berkshires as well). Especially when it was revealed that it was cheaper at the rest area on the Mass Pike that is about 2 miles away (which of course such areas are almost always higher than local places)!
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Bagels wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:14 pm
Super S wrote: July 6th, 2023, 8:08 am I have to wonder if some of these restaurants (particularly those such as Jack In The Box which has been basically opening and closing when they feel like it and is often drive-thru only) also raised prices to discourage some people from coming there in the first place to keep the drive-thru lines shorter. Some of the price hikes have been significant, and many are at or above what their food is worth now.
I doubt they would discourage sales :). Closing the dining room equates into huge savings, so I'm not surprised many opt for that option. Chick-Fil-A has a few restaurants under renovation locally and on a community message forum, rumor is they're being converted to drive-through only. Meanwhile, places like Raising Cane's, In-N-Out, etc. that rely heavily on inside business, couldn't wait to get their doors open.

As long as customers keep coming, prices will continue to increase.
JBox going back to its roots?
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

BillyGr wrote: July 6th, 2023, 4:30 pm
Bagels wrote: July 6th, 2023, 2:22 pm Here's an interesting website:
Probably not surprising on that decrease, after it made the local newscasts in this area (out of Albany, NY, but they cover the Berkshires as well). Especially when it was revealed that it was cheaper at the rest area on the Mass Pike that is about 2 miles away (which of course such areas are almost always higher than local places)!
It's a mystery to me as to how that store is able to price everything so high. Lack of competition nearby?
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

that's just it---looks like Lee is right off of the Mass Pike, on the south side of the pike is an outlet mall and a Big Y supermarket, then just on the north side of the exit is the McDonalds and the main street into town. Doesn't appear to be anything in the out-lots for the outlet mall or the Big Y.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Bagels wrote: July 6th, 2023, 9:34 pm It's a mystery to me as to how that store is able to price everything so high. Lack of competition nearby?
Romr123 wrote: July 7th, 2023, 7:26 am that's just it---looks like Lee is right off of the Mass Pike, on the south side of the pike is an outlet mall and a Big Y supermarket, then just on the north side of the exit is the McDonalds and the main street into town. Doesn't appear to be anything in the out-lots for the outlet mall or the Big Y.
Yes, no other fast food there - there was a Burger King if I remember correctly, but that has been gone for quite a while.

There is (or was) a food court in the outlets, but not sure what still exists there.

Big Y is a freestanding store (not a plaza) and was built maybe a decade ago now. They also have a convenience store just the other side of the exit (was their first of those).

Not even sure what else is around food wise - there was a Friendly's but that also closed. along with a small Price Chopper in the main part of town.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Actually just drove through Lee. It's a special case for that McD's at the moment--construction on the MassPike is causing huge disruptions in front of the Big Y and within the town--Google Maps sends you off onto state roads about 15 miles west of Lee, so you're snaking around through a couple tiny towns in far western MA including stop and go through W. Stockbridge/Stockbridge (where there are lots of ye olde shoppes), then about 5 miles beyond you are about to get onto the Mass Pike...you see the Big Y (was behind a woman with a $350 order...) then the McD's then you're back on the pike. Local customers are doubtless avoiding it, so they're skimming the cream...doubt seriously the high prices are going to stick.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Bagels wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 10:22 pmBurger King - Whopper. $9.39 (unchanged, but that price point is ridiculous to begin with)
McDonald's - Quarter Pounder, $6.39 (up 40 cents)
Wendy's - Dave's Single, $6.19 (up 20 cents)
Carl's Jr - Famous Star. $5.99 (unchanged, but they did hike the prices of "sides" by 10 to 30 cents)
JITB - Jumbo Jack, $3.89 (up 10 cents)
In a sign that prices may be stabilizing -- for now -- McD's and Wendy's each dropped its price by 20c. That may be the first time I've ever see a price *decrease* on the permanent menu. BK, Carl's Jr and JITB's pricing remains unchanged.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 7:03 pm
Bagels wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 10:22 pmBurger King - Whopper. $9.39 (unchanged, but that price point is ridiculous to begin with)
McDonald's - Quarter Pounder, $6.39 (up 40 cents)
Wendy's - Dave's Single, $6.19 (up 20 cents)
Carl's Jr - Famous Star. $5.99 (unchanged, but they did hike the prices of "sides" by 10 to 30 cents)
JITB - Jumbo Jack, $3.89 (up 10 cents)
In a sign that prices may be stabilizing -- for now -- McD's and Wendy's each dropped its price by 20c. That may be the first time I've ever see a price *decrease* on the permanent menu. BK, Carl's Jr and JITB's pricing remains unchanged.
Fast Food pricing is sort of sloppy. I have McDonalds units around me in Reno that are the same franchisee and all have different prices. Down in Carson City it is a different franchisee but there are two units and same thing different prices between the two units; no rhyme or reason at all. But when they do a price increase, all locations do the increase by the .10 or .20. It is just that at some point years ago the prices got all out of synch.

The Wendys units under one franchisee have consistent pricing here at every location.

So it is possible your locations are getting "in synch" with other locations, there was an ownership change, or someone double posted price increases of 20 cents and they are fixing it.