Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

storewanderer

Re: Coronavirus and Empty Restaurants

Post by storewanderer »

I thought all had done that at this point. Even fast food places with iron/plastic tables and benches that are attached to the cement have taped them up, put objects on top of the seats, etc. to prevent people from sitting at the tables. I was surprised this particular pizza place had not done anything. The seats are attached to the tables, which are all wood. They would probably have to physically cover up the tables or put objects on the seats to prevent people from sitting in them. Not sure if this would potentially harm the wood. Not a great situation.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

McDonald's here had people eating outside just after the take out/drive thru mandate. Not sure if they have been lately, or at Checkers either. Sonic has people using the drive in spaces but I suppose that's different because they are still sitting in their cars to be served.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Two McDonald's in Hawaii were closed after employees and customers got coronavirus. How did it transmit? Was the food contaminated, or was the money contaminated, or were the food containers contaminated, or even the paper bags?

This was before masks, so it could have been just people breathing in the same air less than 6 feet away. There are some news articles that say it should be a 13 foot rule. Europe has the 2 meter recommendation which is more than 6 feet. Every little bit helps.

The two stores claim that they have sanitized and put up barriers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 15th, 2020, 11:32 am Two McDonald's in Hawaii were closed after employees and customers got coronavirus. How did it transmit? Was the food contaminated, or was the money contaminated, or were the food containers contaminated, or even the paper bags?

This was before masks, so it could have been just people breathing in the same air less than 6 feet away. There are some news articles that say it should be a 13 foot rule. Europe has the 2 meter recommendation which is more than 6 feet. Every little bit helps.

The two stores claim that they have sanitized and put up barriers.
This is why I still have not bought any prepared food since this whole mess started. I am concerned about this sort of thing. I am taking the risk with groceries but anything that doesn't need to be refrigerated stays outside for a few days after I buy it.

Or did an employee bring it in from outside the location from another family member, a trip to a grocery store, etc.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 15th, 2020, 11:32 am This was before masks, so it could have been just people breathing in the same air less than 6 feet away. There are some news articles that say it should be a 13 foot rule. Europe has the 2 meter recommendation which is more than 6 feet. Every little bit helps.
Realistically a meter is around 39 inches (so about 3 inches longer than a yard or 3 feet, 3 inches). So 2 meters is basically 6 1/2 feet - not a huge difference from a 6 foot rule, just adapted to their measurement system.[
storewanderer wrote: April 12th, 2020, 2:09 pm I thought all had done that at this point. Even fast food places with iron/plastic tables and benches that are attached to the cement have taped them up, put objects on top of the seats, etc. to prevent people from sitting at the tables. I was surprised this particular pizza place had not done anything. The seats are attached to the tables, which are all wood. They would probably have to physically cover up the tables or put objects on the seats to prevent people from sitting in them. Not sure if this would potentially harm the wood. Not a great situation.
Does seem odd to be eating at them - just sitting there if waiting for an order (as long as they are still away from others) isn't going to be much different than waiting in line for a store, just a bit more comfortable (and for some perhaps a benefit if they have trouble standing for a period of time, someone who has injured a leg for instance).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Restaurants are seeing a surge in customers as the government checks come out. People are spending money like crazy and it seems like people just want to get out of the house even if it is to get take out or drive thru.

Santa Cruz, California just reopened the beaches and the Wharf on Thursday. The restaurants are booming as people crowd the beach restaurants. It is like a summer vacation time now.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 18th, 2020, 5:39 am Restaurants are seeing a surge in customers as the government checks come out. People are spending money like crazy and it seems like people just want to get out of the house even if it is to get take out or drive thru.

Santa Cruz, California just reopened the beaches and the Wharf on Thursday. The restaurants are booming as people crowd the beach restaurants. It is like a summer vacation time now.
That sounds positively awful to have that many coming together right now. Some beaches here in FL are reopening but only 11AM-5PM (supposedly anything promoting a party like grills, coolers, etc are not allowed nor are crowds) and I wasn't particularly happy about that. Not happy with Florida's handling of this in general, you've all seen the numbers here.

CA has a much more progressive plan on reopening as far as safety and caution, and has managed to clamp down on the rate of infections, and I would have thought they'd be more conservative than allowing this.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: April 18th, 2020, 6:45 am

That sounds positively awful to have that many coming together right now. Some beaches here in FL are reopening but only 11AM-5PM (supposedly anything promoting a party like grills, coolers, etc are not allowed nor are crowds) and I wasn't particularly happy about that. Not happy with Florida's handling of this in general, you've all seen the numbers here.

CA has a much more progressive plan on reopening as far as safety and caution, and has managed to clamp down on the rate of infections, and I would have thought they'd be more conservative than allowing this.
Let's see what happens in the areas being reopened in CA (and FL). If cases do not spike up in a few weeks, then it will provide a fairly safe bet model for reopening elsewhere. If cases spike up in these spots that are being reopened, then it will be a warning sign to the areas that are still closed that they need to stay closed longer or figure out another plan.

Did restaurants actually reopen for sit down and even bars? Based on this article that sounds like it may not exactly be approved yet (I guess take out is okay then take it and go eat it on the beach/in the park?). https://abc7news.com/society/coronaviru ... n/6108441/
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to a McDonald's in a Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area and for the entire week they had no chicken sandwiches, no tenders, no quarter pound beef, no pies, no salads, etc. All they had was the fish filet, nuggets, and the hamburger. There were virtually no customers most of the time that I was there.

Is this place about to close? Are other stores in a similar situation?
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 29th, 2020, 3:23 pm I went to a McDonald's in a Walmart in the San Francisco Bay Area and for the entire week they had no chicken sandwiches, no tenders, no quarter pound beef, no pies, no salads, etc. All they had was the fish filet, nuggets, and the hamburger. There were virtually no customers most of the time that I was there.

Is this place about to close? Are other stores in a similar situation?
McDonalds has cut their menu down during the crisis to simplify their operations:
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... ast-2020-3