Kroger to merge with Albertsons?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger to merge with Albertsons?

Post by storewanderer »

marshd1000 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 6:42 pm Looks like pushback from the Feds now!

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... guidelines
Could they argue since they announced their merger before these rules went into effect that they should not be subject to them?

I think this merger is going nowhere, about the only people who even seem excited about this merger are the top executives of Albertsons, and I think what may kill it is potential store divest buyers having problems operationally in recent months, combined with the high interest rates making it difficult for the divest buyers to gain funding.

Then again there is also SpinCo.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: July 5th, 2023, 2:46 pm
ClownLoach wrote: June 18th, 2023, 8:23 am Right on. He is going to keep saying positive things until the hammer inevitably comes down. Who cares if they're able to certify compliance with an information request? Of course they'd be able to, because if they couldn't provide the required information then there would be much more serious concerns.

And considering the poison pill type deal Albertsons made to practically guarantee a breakup if this merger gets denied - then the only positive argument I can make is that everyone is probably better off with the Kroger acquisition of the vast majority of the company and stores because there will be far more closures and layoffs in a breakup. Plus Kroger will assuredly buy most of the stores in that deal anyway.

And a sale to a chain that's from outside of the market is much more likely to fail even if they're successful elsewhere for many reasons (Haggen obviously was too small to bite off so many stores - but even if Haggen was a thousand store chain the changes they brought and ineptitude about their new market entries doomed them anyway).
I'd think when the hammer comes down and the Feds successfully stop the merger, I've said this before and I'll say it again: the six most profitable Albertsons divisions (PNW, NorCal, SoCal, Southwest, Intermountain, Jewel) will get picked up by Ahold or move on as a more streamlined company. The remains (Denver, Texas, Safeway East/Acme, Shaw's) will get carved up and sold to other buyers.

Letting Comvest/Haggen buy Albertsons/Safeway stores was intentionally about carving up the stores for real estate. Haggen was clearly not interested in operating stores outside of their northern Washington core turf, they intentionally set pricing high to keep the acquired stores from being profitable. Those Haggen stores were meant to fill space temporarily until the inevitable bankruptcy and store sales for real estate.

That was perhaps the dumbest decision the Feds made, allowing a vampire capitalist group like Comvest (acting as Haggen) to buy the stores. It would've made no difference had they sold the stores to Eddie Lampert.
I still have no idea why you have it out for South/United so much. And a lot of Haggen stores were leased stores. I don't know how many were leased versus owned, but their bankruptcy meant a lot of cancelled leases, and many of those stores are still empty or being used for purposes other than grocery stores.

I still have no idea why you have it out for South/United so much.
storewanderer wrote: July 21st, 2023, 11:49 pm
marshd1000 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 6:42 pm
Looks like pushback from the Feds now!

Could they argue since they announced their merger before these rules went into effect that they should not be subject to them?

I think this merger is going nowhere, about the only people who even seem excited about this merger are the top executives of Albertsons, and I think what may kill it is potential store divest buyers having problems operationally in recent months, combined with the high interest rates making it difficult for the divest buyers to gain funding.

Trying to argue that they're exempt from the new rules would at best be more lawyering and maneuvering. The whole idea was to run past the FTC and have Krogertsons up and running by January of next year, a deadline that is fast approaching.

Everyone knows SpinCo as Kroger/Albertsons has proposed is not a solution unless some major concessions are made, like keeping QFC, Mariano's, and other "secondary" brands with their distribution facilities...but they'd rather kill it before that happens.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 7:14 pm
ClownLoach wrote: June 18th, 2023, 8:23 am Right on. He is going to keep saying positive things until the hammer inevitably comes down. Who cares if they're able to certify compliance with an information request? Of course they'd be able to, because if they couldn't provide the required information then there would be much more serious concerns.

And considering the poison pill type deal Albertsons made to practically guarantee a breakup if this merger gets denied - then the only positive argument I can make is that everyone is probably better off with the Kroger acquisition of the vast majority of the company and stores because there will be far more closures and layoffs in a breakup. Plus Kroger will assuredly buy most of the stores in that deal anyway.

And a sale to a chain that's from outside of the market is much more likely to fail even if they're successful elsewhere for many reasons (Haggen obviously was too small to bite off so many stores - but even if Haggen was a thousand store chain the changes they brought and ineptitude about their new market entries doomed them anyway).
I'd think when the hammer comes down and the Feds successfully stop the merger, I've said this before and I'll say it again: the six most profitable Albertsons divisions (PNW, NorCal, SoCal, Southwest, Intermountain, Jewel) will get picked up by Ahold or move on as a more streamlined company. The remains (Denver, Texas, Safeway East/Acme, Shaw's) will get carved up and sold to other buyers.

Letting Comvest/Haggen buy Albertsons/Safeway stores was intentionally about carving up the stores for real estate. Haggen was clearly not interested in operating stores outside of their northern Washington core turf, they intentionally set pricing high to keep the acquired stores from being profitable. Those Haggen stores were meant to fill space temporarily until the inevitable bankruptcy and store sales for real estate.

That was perhaps the dumbest decision the Feds made, allowing a vampire capitalist group like Comvest (acting as Haggen) to buy the stores. It would've made no difference had they sold the stores to Eddie Lampert.
I still have no idea why you have it out for South/United so much. And a lot of Haggen stores were leased stores. I don't know how many were leased versus owned, but their bankruptcy meant a lot of cancelled leases, and many of those stores are still empty or being used for purposes other than grocery stores.

marshd1000 wrote: July 21st, 2023, 6:42 pm
Looks like pushback from the Feds now!

Trying to argue that they're exempt from the new rules would at best be more lawyering and maneuvering. The whole idea was to run past the FTC and have Krogertsons up and running by January of next year, a deadline that is fast approaching.

Everyone knows SpinCo as Kroger/Albertsons has proposed is not a solution unless some major concessions are made, like keeping QFC, Mariano's, and other "secondary" brands with their distribution facilities...but they'd rather kill it before that happens.
I think they promised to spin off some infrastructure with SpinCo if they go that route. Ironically too much "infrastructure" is what doomed Appletree and bankrupted Homeland the first time. Something tells me the FTC doesn't know 80's supermarket history well enough to ever make that connection, but some wise unions representing said "infrastructure" location employees may let the FTC know...

I am going to be really curious what happens to United. The former owners are still there in a managerial capacity and it is not integrated into Albertsons IT/loyalty. United definitely isn't integrated into the terrible Albertsons/Safeway everyday pricing software either as their scale is drastically lower.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 12:23 am

I think they promised to spin off some infrastructure with SpinCo if they go that route. Ironically too much "infrastructure" is what doomed Appletree and bankrupted Homeland the first time. Something tells me the FTC doesn't know 80's supermarket history well enough to ever make that connection, but some wise unions representing said "infrastructure" location employees may let the FTC know...

I am going to be really curious what happens to United. The former owners are still there in a managerial capacity and it is not integrated into Albertsons IT/loyalty. United definitely isn't integrated into the terrible Albertsons/Safeway everyday pricing software either as their scale is drastically lower.
AppleTree's problem was it had a lot of debt it didn't have before, a much smaller chain than the company it was part of before, and didn't have the resources to compete in a competitive grocery market, especially at a time when your competitors were building huge new stores and low-price, no-frills stores start nipping at the heels on the other end.

There were a few AppleTree stores that saw some real updates under their ownership but for others it was literally some new paint. The other problem is of course that the highly competitive market doesn't exist anymore.

The Dallas division of Safeway was competing against Minyard, Tom Thumb, Skaggs Alpha Beta, Kroger, with Winn-Dixie and Albertsons also in the mix.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

No, they didn't promise anything goes into Spinco except retail stores. They've explicitly promised to keep every warehouse, manufacturing plant, distribution center, office and so forth from both companies gets kept, stays open, and becomes part of the new Kroger. That was an attempt to appease the more powerful Teamsters union that controls most of the DC and trucking aspect by promising full employment and the stability of working for a larger company with less long term risk than ACI. As we heard a few weeks ago the promise was not enough and they've announced formal opposition to the merger.

Spinco was really a solution to a problem that didn't exist; the entire idea being a new organization that would have to take ownership of stores nobody wanted to buy but then would have to create an entire support network out of thin air which is damned near impossible. Obviously someone would buy them before a merger would take place, they just would pay a lot less than what Kroger would like to see. But in the unlikely scenario of no buyers and the necessary creation of Spinco the wheels of closure will be turning faster than they did for Haggen.

Getting stores only means the need for expensive supply chain and IT and so forth that Kroger won't include in a spinoff. Maybe the intention was they could provide paid short term contracts for IT, distribution etc. but that really would just guarantee the Spinco stores would carry costs others don't making them the highest priced stores in town and a guaranteed failure. They could say they're offering such services "at cost" but that would be dubious at best. I'm not going to rehash the logical fallacy that Spinco would then be acquired because it's an illogical concept for a buyer to refuse to buy the stores directly, only to turn around and buy them for a much higher price because Spinco will need to take on hundreds of millions, if not billions in debt on day one of existence to even be able to keep the shelves full their first week open. In theory a buyer could get a store for a dollar if the FTC ordered the sale, but once it becomes part of a Spinco with new debt attached the same store couldn't sell for less than several million.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

ClownLoach wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 3:21 pm

No, they didn't promise anything goes into Spinco except retail stores. They've explicitly promised to keep every warehouse, manufacturing plant, distribution center, office and so forth from both companies gets kept, stays open, and becomes part of the new Kroger. That was an attempt to appease the more powerful Teamsters union that controls most of the DC and trucking aspect by promising full employment and the stability of working for a larger company with less long term risk than ACI. As we heard a few weeks ago the promise was not enough and they've announced formal opposition to the merger.

Spinco was really a solution to a problem that didn't exist; the entire idea being a new organization that would have to take ownership of stores nobody wanted to buy but then would have to create an entire support network out of thin air which is damned near impossible. Obviously someone would buy them before a merger would take place, they just would pay a lot less than what Kroger would like to see. But in the unlikely scenario of no buyers and the necessary creation of Spinco the wheels of closure will be turning faster than they did for Haggen.

Getting stores only means the need for expensive supply chain and IT and so forth that Kroger won't include in a spinoff. Maybe the intention was they could provide paid short term contracts for IT, distribution etc. but that really would just guarantee the Spinco stores would carry costs others don't making them the highest priced stores in town and a guaranteed failure. They could say they're offering such services "at cost" but that would be dubious at best. I'm not going to rehash the logical fallacy that Spinco would then be acquired because it's an illogical concept for a buyer to refuse to buy the stores directly, only to turn around and buy them for a much higher price because Spinco will need to take on hundreds of millions, if not billions in debt on day one of existence to even be able to keep the shelves full their first week open. In theory a buyer could get a store for a dollar if the FTC ordered the sale, but once it becomes part of a Spinco with new debt attached the same store couldn't sell for less than several million.
Back when Albertsons was merging with Safeway, the question of who takes the stores was still a question fairly late into the merger, like November 2014 (they merged in late January). I'm not sure if Haggen was always the plan, but they did manage to offload a few to independents. Mostly the problem there was that Kroger was their main competition in the divest markets, and Kroger already had better stores nearby.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Now that Teamsters has opposed the merger (probably because they don't trust the representations about keeping every warehouse/plant), doesn't that also mean the promise to keep every warehouse/plant open is essentially void?

They could close this merger immediately if they put literally any overlapping asset into SpinCo... We will see what happens. I do know that both parties are continuing to work to get this merger pushed through before the end of the year.

Another approach/thought: could they merge the non-overlapping portions of the company and do fire sales of the very limited number of the ~30-40 overlapping stores total in those divisions (NorCal, Jewel, Acme, Shaws), then start to slowly digest the pieces of non-overlapping stores in regions like OR/WA over to Kroger control/Kroger warehouses while keeping the OR/WA Albertsons warehouses under Albertsons to supply the not yet merged overlapping stores? Then ultimately what does not get merged in ends up as SpinCo... This seems like a messy arrangement but if they are really so dead set on pushing this merger through...

SpinCo has zero chance of success without a distribution network within its markets to support its stores. And no, a distribution center in Sacramento to supply stores in Las Vegas and New Mexico (Raleys in 1999) does not count as "within its markets."
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: July 25th, 2023, 9:24 pm

Now that Teamsters has opposed the merger (probably because they don't trust the representations about keeping every warehouse/plant), doesn't that also mean the promise to keep every warehouse/plant open is essentially void?

They could close this merger immediately if they put literally any overlapping asset into SpinCo... We will see what happens. I do know that both parties are continuing to work to get this merger pushed through before the end of the year.

Another approach/thought: could they merge the non-overlapping portions of the company and do fire sales of the very limited number of the ~30-40 overlapping stores total in those divisions (NorCal, Jewel, Acme, Shaws), then start to slowly digest the pieces of non-overlapping stores in regions like OR/WA over to Kroger control/Kroger warehouses while keeping the OR/WA Albertsons warehouses under Albertsons to supply the not yet merged overlapping stores? Then ultimately what does not get merged in ends up as SpinCo... This seems like a messy arrangement but if they are really so dead set on pushing this merger through...

SpinCo has zero chance of success without a distribution network within its markets to support its stores. And no, a distribution center in Sacramento to supply stores in Las Vegas and New Mexico (Raleys in 1999) does not count as "within its markets."
The issue is that if they put anything at all that anyone could find objectionable (due to perceived overlap) into Spinco they lose too many stores for a merger to be worth the time.

A slightly interesting twist I'm trying to research: apparently there is a new interview (searching for a link) in which the execs state again they have no interest in closing any stores whatsoever as part of the merger. But an interesting comment was made in regards to pensions that gives some interesting context as to the merger plans. Apparently they talked about pension funding will be handled by "the company the store is a part of."

That makes it sound like they might intend to follow the SoCal model we saw with Albertsons and Vons being loosely run as two different chains (three if you count Pavilions). They might intend to treat Albertsons like it's a subsidiary, with the cost savings only coming from new economy of scale on the back end plus optimization of logistics?

I know it's hard to trust anything these guys say, but how many Kroger stores could absorb all the sales of, say, the Safeway down the street if it closed? Maybe they really mean it when they say zero store closures as a result of the merger?

Kroger "optimized" their store fleets to death in the 2000's and 2010's. I talked about how they basically set themselves up for failure in Long Beach by culling so many stores that now the few remaining stores literally cannot absorb one more customer because they're at capacity in every way from shelf space to parking spaces. That city is seeing arguably the most growth it has in decades as they are building massive new apartment clusters and towers with a set goal of just under 25,000 new units. Kroger isn't going to sell one dollar of food to any of these new residents because they culled the store count so much that there are lots where one must circle for ten minutes to find a parking space. And the biggest winners in town have been ACI (via their remaining Albertsons and Vons stores), Stater and basically every other competitor. This scenario has played itself out in their highest volume markets. So let's say they had a city with six Ralphs and three ACI stores. They keep every store unless one is across the street from the other as a true overlap (don't bring up zip codes because they're pointless and need to be completely replaced due to lack of population balance). This represents an actual sales growth opportunity if they keep them all and figure out how to somewhat balance the sales between them. But if they divest or consolidate (close) the majority of the ACI stores then there's nothing to win. If their store literally can't take on more volume and they close or divest the Albertsons five blocks away then all those sales go to literally everyone else now.

I'm not sure that every market for Kroger is like this, where they are limited in ability to absorb more sales, but the places where this is the most likely scenario are locations that have enough business to support both a KR store and a ACI store.

Maybe they're recognizing that the strategy of running fewer stores to maximize volume and productivity has actually been destructive to the organization and has hindered their growth? Maybe that's the real reason for "needing" this merger?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I believe that is very true for Socal, especially in densely populated areas.

Their quest to save $$$$ by not building big footprint stores (able to serve increasing populations) could be at the root of this. That strategy may be biting back. Also their lack of capex to maintain those small stores.

Traffic and awful parking is a real thing in so many of their stores and their competitors as well (don't get me started on Trader Joes).
marketreportblog
Dairy Manager
Dairy Manager

Post by marketreportblog »

We’ve got what appears to be increasing opposition to the merger from multiple government agencies, although it’s hard to tell so far whether they’ll substantiate any of the goals here or if it’s just for show: https://boisedev.com/news/2023/07/24/al ... ger-biden/