McDonald’s Grimace Meal

storewanderer

Re: McDonald’s Grimace Meal

Post by storewanderer »

Asked if you can order just a Grimace Shake today and was told "we're not supposed to, but if you want we can make you one." Also asked if they can make a Grimace Sundae and was told it may be a little runny but again if you want yes. I said I would try later and was told they couldn't guarantee whoever was there later would make either item since there is no button on the register for either. Okay then.

As far as the pricing on the Grimace Big Mac Meal in Reno: not sure what is going on with the main Reno franchisee as usually it has pretty low pricing.

Main Reno Franchisee: Grimace $14.78-15.08-15.58-various other prices around town; standard Big Mac Meal 9.29-9.59
Main Sparks Franchisee (has a few Reno sites) Grimace $12.59; standard Big Mac Meal 9.69
Carson City/Minden Franchisee (has various rural sites also, all different pricing): Grimace 12.59; standard Big Mac Meal 9.79-9.79-9.99
South Lake Tahoe/Susanville (Sparks franchisee but different price scales): 13.79; standard Big Mac Meal 10.59
Sparks-Prater (this is a Sacramento area franchisee single unit in NV): Grimace 8.60 (????); standard Big Mac Meal 9.09
Truckee, CA (same franchisee as Sparks-Prater) Grimace $12.89; standard Big Mac Meal 10.59

For comparison: St. George, UT- some of the cheapest McDonalds left in the chain:
Grimace 11.38; standard Big Mac Meal 7.79
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Found another location on Highway 55 in Apex NC that is charging $15.48 for the Big Mac Grimace Meal, and $14.48 for the 10 piece nugget version. Regular prices for that meal at this location are $7.89 (10 piece) and $8.89 (Big Mac). That's pretty close to double the regular price.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It seems like these locations with the x.x8 pricing may just be adding up the prices of the individual items and not discounting for the combo meal.

As if these prices are a discount.

Big Mac meals should not be costing more than about $9 after tax in my opinion and that is really pushing it. These things have 2 1.6oz beef patties, not even 1/4lb of meat. I understand the upcharge on a milkshake may push the total above $10.

Of course when you can go to Wendy's and get a frosty in a combo meal instead of a drink at no extra charge it does make you question why there needs to be an upcharge for the milkshake in the first place at McDonalds.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

At this particular location, the ala carte prices for a Big Mac, medium fries and a medium shake is $12.07 before tax, and the upcharge for a shake in a combo is $3 so a regular Big Mac meal with a shake would be $11.89. I know the Triangle area is a higher cost of living area than the Triad is, but at those prices it seems like the franchisee either has the Grimace meals flying off the shelf and is trying to capitalize on the popularity or they just don't want to deal with it at all so they price it so nobody will buy it. Hard to tell which...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 17th, 2023, 7:10 pm At this particular location, the ala carte prices for a Big Mac, medium fries and a medium shake is $12.07 before tax, and the upcharge for a shake in a combo is $3 so a regular Big Mac meal with a shake would be $11.89. I know the Triangle area is a higher cost of living area than the Triad is, but at those prices it seems like the franchisee either has the Grimace meals flying off the shelf and is trying to capitalize on the popularity or they just don't want to deal with it at all so they price it so nobody will buy it. Hard to tell which...
I wonder if these are pricing errors. Or somehow that Grimace Shake is priced at some really wacky regular price in the system.

The number of customers who just order and don't even pay attention to price as they hand over their card to pay is the majority, sadly, this is part of what has allowed fast food pricing to get as high as it has. If this was still a paper cash business the prices would not have gotten this high.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Here the Big Mac meal runs $8.99 and the Grimace meals around $10.29.

The video I saw on the Grimace shake, stated it just tastes like a regular vanilla shake, no flavoring.

Given how often McDonalds shakes are unavailable, I wonder how many locations couldn’t even offer the Grimace Meals.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Medium Big Mac meal with a vanilla shake upgrade is $14.89 locally. Grimace meal is $14.19. Surprise!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: June 18th, 2023, 12:36 pm Here the Big Mac meal runs $8.99 and the Grimace meals around $10.29.

The video I saw on the Grimace shake, stated it just tastes like a regular vanilla shake, no flavoring.

Given how often McDonalds shakes are unavailable, I wonder how many locations couldn’t even offer the Grimace Meals.
They are advertising it as a mixed berry flavored Vanilla shake.

I wonder if some locations are not putting enough of the purple substance into it so it just tastes like vanilla.

I didn't try this product and probably won't try it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It definitely depends on who is making the shake. My coworker says his tasted like berries and was too sweet. Vanilla is the base, but it is up to the employee to add enough berry flavoring.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 18th, 2023, 11:40 pm It definitely depends on who is making the shake. My coworker says his tasted like berries and was too sweet. Vanilla is the base, but it is up to the employee to add enough berry flavoring.
Given how the locations in my area can't even make fries properly because they pull them before the timer is at zero, I have no confidence they can make the shake properly. I have no clue how they seem to be able to get the iced tea made correctly as long as you buy in the morning/afternoon but at least they can do that.