Albertsons Exiting Utah

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Albertsons Exiting Utah

Post by Alpha8472 »

Ridley's has purchased two of the four remaining Supervalu Albertsons in Utah that have been up for sale.

http://supermarketnews.com/news/ridleys_albert_1222/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This article is incorrect on the store counts. Supervalu had six stores for sale:

These stores were excluded from the sale to Associated from the start:
Orem: 2 stores
West Jordan: 2 stores

These additional stores were excluded from the sale when it closed:
Tooele: 1 store due to FTC concern
Taylorsville/Kearns: 1 store due to "condition" (or some other reason, because this store looks fine aside from a lack of inventory and very low shelves for a supermarket)

So as a result, Associated purchased 34 stores, not 36 stores.

We'll see how Ridleys does with Orem. The traffic in those stores was not good when I was there especially compared to the nearby Smiths and Maceys. One of them is in pretty good shape, the other was not in the greatest shape, but both were large complete stores.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I was in the Blackfoot, Idaho, Ridley's store today. Ridley's bought the Blackfoot store from Albertsons / SuperValu about a year ago. Ridley's hadn't done anything at all to the interior except paste "Ridley's Blackfoot" logos anywhere there used to be an Albertsons logo.

The store had been remodeled into the Grocery Palace interior and got an addition at the same time ... probably eight or so years ago, but I can't remember for sure. It was one of the best looking grocery palace stores I've ever seen. The grocery palace interior is usually a little over the top, but since they were remodeling an existing store, they had to tone it down a little, and it ended up looking outstanding. I was impressed that Ridley's didn't try to remodel a store that already looked fantastic just for the sake of remodeling it.

The store still had the Albertsons "self-checkout" sign and the "Reduced for quick sale" sign on the markdown cart was the former Albertsons sign. The Albertsons label scar was still visible on the front. As far as I could tell, Ridley's hadn't moved anything around. It was very surpring to see how little had been done to the store.

Of all the Ridley's stores I've been in, it was by far the best looking. They have truly built their chain piecemeal, and it shows. There is a world of difference between this store and, for example, the Pinedale store.

Could be a hint for what is in store for the former Albertsons locations in Orem ...
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by tesg »

I was in Utah over the weekend. All of the buildings I saw now have the new signage.

I went into the Layton store, which still has a hodgepodge Albertson's interior package. But the interior signage for the aisles and otherwise have been changed.
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by krogerclerk »

I wouldn't be surprised if over time the Fresh Market banner is slowly retired, at least from some locations and other AF banners take their place, along with several store closings. If the past is any indication, the former divisions of Safeway and Albertson's seem to be the kiss of death for the acquiring party(Furr's/Farmer Jack, the path SaveMart is following) or spin off(Homeland/Food Barn/Harvest/AppleTree). WinCo entering Utah seems to be the wild card that could shake this scenario up for both Affiliated and Smith's(Kroger).