Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 12:12 am Google maps is not updated often. The Rite Aid is still closed and dark. It shares the building with Big 5. A security truck is parked in front to guard against looters.
I expect Rite Aid will reopen this store after it is repaired. If it is leased, it won't be on them to repair it. Looking at the store it is clearly a solid performer for them. No reason to not keep it open.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 29th, 2022, 12:22 am
Alpha8472 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 12:12 am Google maps is not updated often. The Rite Aid is still closed and dark. It shares the building with Big 5. A security truck is parked in front to guard against looters.
I expect Rite Aid will reopen this store after it is repaired. If it is leased, it won't be on them to repair it. Looking at the store it is clearly a solid performer for them. No reason to not keep it open.
I would agree that this will reopen. I doubt that they were losing money or self insured against catastrophes. They have insurance for claims of this size. Might be the fault of the neighboring store or landlord if they didn't check the roof drains, and I can't imagine that even with that much water that a main beam itself would break. Might be further liability on the builder. Rite Aid will not lose a dollar when this is all done.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The two stores were all boarded up tonight. I could hear work crews frantically working late. It looks like they are rushing repairs even during the heavy continuous rainstorm.

Business at the shopping center is down. Some other restaurants and shops are also affected.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 11:10 pm The two stores were all boarded up tonight. I could hear work crews frantically working late. It looks like they are rushing repairs even during the heavy continuous rainstorm.

Business at the shopping center is down. Some other restaurants and shops are also affected.
They need to repair urgently and quickly. The sooner they get repairs done the less damage there will be. The fact that they are working this diligently shows there is a commitment from whoever the property owner is to get things fixed.

Did Rite Aid set up a temporary trailer or anything for the pharmacy?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I did not see a trailer. Even in this area a trailer would be stolen in no time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 29th, 2022, 11:19 pm I did not see a trailer. Even in this area a trailer would be stolen in no time.
CVS had a pharmacy trailer at 1250 West 7th in Reno for months without issue. That is on the border of a not great part of town. They had no problems there.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

https://tribecacitizen.com/2023/01/04/r ... nt-page-1/

Sadly,the rumored closure of the Brookfield place location in Manhattan battery Park City is turning out to be true and it doesn't sound like it'll be the only 2023 closure in the five boroughs of NYC.That location has already discontinued 24-hour operation which was front end only(now open 7am-11pm).

As it stands right now there are 480 RAD locations in California.We'll see if that total at least stays above 475 at this point twelve months from now.I must note that the front end at Los Angeles/334 South Vermont in recent months has gravitated between 24 hours and only being open 6am-2am though while maintaining extended pharmacy hours.I wonder if this is because of liquor license compliance issues as no other SoCal 24-hour locations have been doing this.

Already a concept-remodeled Boise store is now subject of a Twitter horror story.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

The North Bend, Oregon location closes on 1/17 according to a family friend who was there today. This is a relocation of the PayLess store previously inside Pony Village Mall, which eventually became a JCPenney (relocated from downtown Coos Bay) and is currently a Harbor Freight. Only other RA in Coos County is down in Bandon.

One of the problems is that the nearby Safeway is already extremely busy after the closure of Bi-Mart's pharmacy, and now this will leave Safeway and Walmart / Walgreens a couple of miles away on Newmark Ave. Coos Bay also only has Fred Meyer and Safeway, so this is going to put Coos Bay into more of a pickle now that three pharmacies closed in a relatively short time span.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

bryceleinan wrote:The North Bend, Oregon location closes on 1/17 according to a family friend who was there today. This is a relocation of the PayLess store previously inside Pony Village Mall, which eventually became a JCPenney (relocated from downtown Coos Bay) and is currently a Harbor Freight. Only other RA in Coos County is down in Bandon.

One of the problems is that the nearby Safeway is already extremely busy after the closure of Bi-Mart's pharmacy, and now this will leave Safeway and Walmart / Walgreens a couple of miles away on Newmark Ave. Coos Bay also only has Fred Meyer and Safeway, so this is going to put Coos Bay into more of a pickle now that three pharmacies closed in a relatively short time span.
That store is a blue awning RA-1 that received a wellness 2.0 remodel but not updated logo signage.I wonder whether a lease was up but I do also wonder about this low coverage area closure (coastal southwest Oregon)and find it debatable whether industry-wide staffing issues were truly a primary culprit.Unless there's a CVS-operated Target pharmacy in that area that nobody knows about.Besides the pharmacy in bimart what other local pharmacy recently closed?

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: January 4th, 2023, 5:13 pm The North Bend, Oregon location closes on 1/17 according to a family friend who was there today. This is a relocation of the PayLess store previously inside Pony Village Mall, which eventually became a JCPenney (relocated from downtown Coos Bay) and is currently a Harbor Freight. Only other RA in Coos County is down in Bandon.

This is a troubling closure. Coos Bay has 15k population and North Bend has 10k population. So you have a 25k population, basically the largest population mass on the OR Coast, and Rite Aid exits the market? This is a pretty bad coverage gap for Rite Aid to exit the Coos Bay market this way.

Bandon is only 3k population and isn't even a full size store, it is an old indy pharmacy Ray's bought then when Ray's exited the pharmacy business, Rite Aid took the location over. The store may be about 12k square feet, if someone didn't know better they'd think it was a small former Thrifty.