Harris Teeter/Kroger integration

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Harris Teeter/Kroger integration

Post by BatteryMill »

BatteryMill wrote: September 13th, 2020, 6:11 pm Some observations I've made of post-Kroger HT:
  • *Prior to the merger, Harris Teeter locations would have endcap price markers, reading "VIC SAVINGS ON EVERY AISLE". These have been replaced with generic ads reflecting the "new lower prices" mantra. Stores opened after the merger have phrases such as "always the best price" and "freshness guaranteed" in block lettering on said fixture. I cannot tell if such a practice was discontinued by HT's corporate parent.
    *I've only seen one Kroger product end up at Harris Teeter thus far.
    *For the holidays, the Gift Card Mall had a paper slip with Kroger's "Fresh for Everyone" ad campaign.
    *The gradual phasing out of their signature 24-hour operation was likely a Kroger-influenced move, and in tandem with its sister chains from what I've heard.
I'll admit the ads are a bit tacky, but it is nice to see the chain stay true to itself even if it is under a large corporate parent.
Looks like the price markers on endcaps are back, again advertising VIC card deals, but with a different style than before. I do not know if these are being used at other Kroger divisions or if they are giving Harris Teeter some of their own liberties once more.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

As Kroger-Albertsons talks swirl, Kroger integration continues at Harris Teeter: seems as if at least one store is getting a Murray's cheese shop (Kroger subsidiary). I do not know if this is chainwide, or how far the branding will go.
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by 1111072036 »

BatteryMill wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:29 pm As Kroger-Albertsons talks swirl, Kroger integration continues at Harris Teeter: seems as if at least one store is getting a Murray's cheese shop (Kroger subsidiary). I do not know if this is chainwide, or how far the branding will go.
Harris Teeter has had the Murray’s program since 2021, when it was introduced in the two Greenville, SC stores. A couple of NC stores have also had their kiosks changed over to Murray’s since then. The art-deco Plaza Midwood store in Charlotte for sure has one.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

1111072036 wrote: October 15th, 2022, 5:28 am
BatteryMill wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:29 pm As Kroger-Albertsons talks swirl, Kroger integration continues at Harris Teeter: seems as if at least one store is getting a Murray's cheese shop (Kroger subsidiary). I do not know if this is chainwide, or how far the branding will go.
Harris Teeter has had the Murray’s program since 2021, when it was introduced in the two Greenville, SC stores. A couple of NC stores have also had their kiosks changed over to Murray’s since then. The art-deco Plaza Midwood store in Charlotte for sure has one.
I wonder how much this changes the look of the overall look of the cheese counter at these stores. I don't mind these changes but I hope this doesn't go chainwide.
jdb820
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by jdb820 »

That was my post in one of the Discords and the location in question would be Raleigh - North Ridge. Given how Raleigh and Charlotte are in different divisions it makes me wonder if NoVA/DC/MD/DE are getting some too.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Murray's is a good program. It takes a bit of labor investment at the store level but the stuff has a rather long shelf life and it does draw in customers. Little waste. This is an example of a Kroger program that is far better developed than anything Safeway/Albertsons has and will be a hit in many of the merged stores when added to them. This type of concept is far more profitable than a labor intensive and shrink heavy overpriced sandwich bar or a wing bar- things Safeway and Albertsons, respectively, liked more than they should have and invested more deli effort in than they should have.

I think Harris Teeter already had a fairly extensive cheese assortment in its nicer stores, but pulling in the Murray program will better highlight these items and present/display them better. And since this is HT in HT original territory, the execution will be top of the line.