Macy's to close 100 stores

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Macy's to close 100 stores

Post by Jeff »

Ten stores that I think could be in trouble in Southern California, in no particular order:

Grossmont Center
Chula Vista
Baldwin Hills
South Bay Galleria
Lakewood
Mens / Home at Northridge
Mens / Home at Manhattan Beach
Home Store at Downey
Puente Hills
Westside Pavillion

Only my thoughts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Jeff wrote:Ten stores that I think could be in trouble in Southern California, in no particular order:

Grossmont Center
Chula Vista
Baldwin Hills
South Bay Galleria
Lakewood
Home Store at Downey
Puente Hills
Westside Pavillion

Only my thoughts.
In addition to the stores listed above, the Mission Valley store seems like a good candidate for closure. Macy*s recently sold it to the mall owner (Westfield) and they already have a clothing store at nearby Fashion Valley. The Home/Furniture store at Mission Valley is probably not going anywhere, as it does a brisk business and is the only furniture location in San Diego. The next closest Macy*s furniture store is up in Carlsbad.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

rwsandiego wrote:
Jeff wrote:Ten stores that I think could be in trouble in Southern California, in no particular order:

Grossmont Center
Chula Vista
Baldwin Hills
South Bay Galleria
Lakewood
Home Store at Downey
Puente Hills
Westside Pavillion

Only my thoughts.
In addition to the stores listed above, the Mission Valley store seems like a good candidate for closure. Macy*s recently sold it to the mall owner (Westfield) and they already have a clothing store at nearby Fashion Valley. The Home/Furniture store at Mission Valley is probably not going anywhere, as it does a brisk business and is the only furniture location in San Diego. The next closest Macy*s furniture store is up in Carlsbad.
I was going to mention Mission Valley. I wish they redo Mission Valley and move the furniture into that store. But its a huge store to fill.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Grossmont Center
Chula Vista
Baldwin Hills
South Bay Galleria
Lakewood
Home Store at Downey
Puente Hills
Westside Pavillion

Only my thoughts.
In Texas, I could see quite a few Macy's locations as potential closure candidates. Most of these stores are overlap situations.

Houston Area:

Greenspoint Mall, Houston (aka. Gunspoint Mall) - a large 1970's era era mall in North Houston which has been largely eclipsed by several other malls in surrounding suburbs and is located in an area which has not aged well. The Woodlands Mall, Willowbrook Mall and Deerbrook mall have largely siphoned this mall's customer base, and Macys remains as the only traditional anchor (the Dillards at the site has been converted to a clearance center).
West Oaks Mall, Houston - another instance of a store being located in an aging mall, with other store locations within a reasonable driving distance (Memorial City Mall and First Colony Mall)
San Jacinto Mall, Baytown - a large mostly vacant mall in a predominantly working-class area. Proposals have been thrown around by multiple developers to redevelop the site, but so far, none have come to fruition.
Almeda Mall, Houston - a store that is located both in a small, aged mall and a economically depressed area, and is located less than 10 miles from the highly-successful Baybrook Mall in Friendswood.

DFW Area:

Irving Mall - an early 1970's center which is in an aging retail corridor in Irving, in which much of the surrounding area has become lower-income. The Dillard's at this mall was converted to a clearance center several years ago.
Southwest Center Mall, Dallas (aka. Redbird Mall) - the only mall located in the southern half of Dallas proper, but is mostly occupied by local shops and very few national retailers. Many vacant retail storefronts also permeate the surrounding area. Most retail activity in the area has shifted to the south around Cedar Hill, as the area immediately surrounding Southwest Center Mall has developed a reputation for crime which is both real and perceived. Dillards used to have an anchor at this mall, but relocated to a new lifestyle center in Cedar Hill back the mid-2000's. Similar to San Jacinto Mall in Baytown, proposals have been thrown around the redevelop the Southwest Center site, but none have gained traction. Side note, this store is one of only a few former Sanger-Harris stores still operating. Other locations still operating include Collin Creek Mall in Plano (also on this list), Hulen Mall in Fort Worth, and the store on Broadway Ave. in Tyler.
Collin Creek Mall, Plano - Collin Creek is simply a victim of age and competition. Since the center was built in 1982, newer malls/lifestyle centers have sprouted in all directions, making this mall somewhat redundant. Dillards closed at this mall a couple of years ago, and the Macy's at this mall has light traffic, even forcing the store to close off a substantial portion of its ground floor. The demographics in the surrounding area are still strong though, and extensive development is taking place nearby in Richardson, so Macy's might decide to retain this store for now to see how things play out.
Vista Ridge Mall, Lewisville - Another mall which has been deemed irrelevant simply due to age and competition. Although the surrounding retail area is still successful, newer shopping developments in Flower Mound, Grapevine, Southlake, Frisco and Plano have pulled customers away from this mall who would have formerly traveled from surrounding suburbs, and the older portions of Lewisville are simply too low-income to be able to support a major mall on their own. The mall has also received little renovation since opening in 1990, and has not aged well.

Let us know if you guys have any thoughts on these stores, or any more to be added to the list. It will be interesting to watch this situation play out around the country.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote:That downtown Portland Macy's is not a very impressive store. I would not be surprised to see it either downsized significantly or just sold for some other use. Lloyd Center isn't all that far from downtown Portland anyway. That Lloyd Center Macy's seemed to have more/better merchandise/more high price brands than the downtown one anyway.
Exactly. While downtown Portland's retail core is healthy, it seems to be best in unique boutiques and high-end stores that benefit from "tax free" shopping for tourists from BC, conventions and elsewhere. Macy's downtown store is less well-presented than the Lloyd Center store and most locals would choose the latter for free parking, despite the spectre of "crime" over Lloyd Center.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Chula Vista

Only my thoughts.
I'm guessing you mean Chula Vista Center, not the newer one at Otay Ranch?
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote:
storewanderer wrote:That downtown Portland Macy's is not a very impressive store. I would not be surprised to see it either downsized significantly or just sold for some other use. Lloyd Center isn't all that far from downtown Portland anyway. That Lloyd Center Macy's seemed to have more/better merchandise/more high price brands than the downtown one anyway.
Exactly. While downtown Portland's retail core is healthy, it seems to be best in unique boutiques and high-end stores that benefit from "tax free" shopping for tourists from BC, conventions and elsewhere. Macy's downtown store is less well-presented than the Lloyd Center store and most locals would choose the latter for free parking, despite the spectre of "crime" over Lloyd Center.
With that said, the Lloyd Center Macy's does have its own quirks. Certain areas of the store reveal that it is a very old store, and the experience varies as you walk around. I don't think the outside has been touched except for the changes in signage over the years. But with the Nordstrom closed, it is now pretty much the only high-end department store there now. The Sears in that mall doesn't seem to be doing particularly well, and the tool area seems pretty lightly stocked. If Sears closes, Macy's will be the only regular department store left there, unless you count Marshalls and Ross. I think the Macy's is actually the largest anchor there.

And about that closed Nordstrom: right now the second story is open as a walkway to access the Lloyd Tower via skybridge. The walkway has boards around it but is open to the closed store, and only the area around the walkway is lit up. Supposedly this is getting revamped as the mall is being renovated, but when I was there just last week there was no construction activity going on in the Nordstrom space.

Lloyd Center has always struck me as a mall that is lower end. The closing of Nordstrom enhances that image, but the renovation could change that.
lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by lake »

I guess I'll take a shot at NorCal/Northern Nevada and guess some candidates

Nevada

Meadowood Mall - Given that this is one of the lowest sales per square foot stores in the country, I'd assume they'll combine their three store behemoth into at least two stores and possibly one. Depending on how the Home store not attached to the mall does, they could either keep that and one anchor space or keep both anchor spaces and give up the home store.

Central Valley

Mt Shasta Mall- Redding just doesn't seem like a strong spot for Macy's. This mall does ok, but it is in a very high competition city for it's relative small size.

Sunrise Mall- They have two stores in a mall that is still technically not dead but quickly heading that way. There is some redevelopment planned so it is possible that they could give up a store or possibly even both depending on the aims of the new owners. This mall had it's last hurrah when the Galleria burnt down and people had to shop at Sunrise for the year they were rebuilding. Now that the Galleria is rebuilt it's been on the decline since.

Sherwood Mall- Macy's lost the battle with this location as the Weberstown Mall across the street has dominantly won out as the mall in Stockton.

West Valley Mall- Tracy is a growing city, but people can easily drive to Modesto or the Bay Area for their shopping. The mall itself does fine, but the Macy's itself struggles in the market.

Fashion Fair Mall- They have two stores here and a store at RiverPark a few miles away. Probably combine it down to one and eliminate some poor performing departments. People can drive to RiverPark if they need something that they can't fit in one store.

Bay Area

Sunvalley Plaza- Another store on the list of the worst performers. Could be an outright closure or closing one of the two depending on how the individual departments do.

Somersville Towne Center- This mall is anchored by a Smart&Final... come on.

Northridge Mall- Salinas is close enough to the Monterey stores and the South Bay stores that this store can be closed. Judging by the parking lot when I've passed by it, it does pretty poorly.

Coddingtown Mall- This mall is transitioning out of the mall mode and is becoming more of a neighborhood center with new additions such as Whole Foods and Target. Especially with the nearby Santa Rosa plaza, they should focus their assets on one mall in town.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Jeff wrote:
rwsandiego wrote:

Grossmont Center
Chula Vista
Baldwin Hills
South Bay Galleria
Lakewood
Home Store at Downey
Puente Hills
Westside Pavillion

Only my thoughts.
I was going to mention Mission Valley. I wish they redo Mission Valley and move the furniture into that store. But its a huge store to fill.
I was hoping for the same thing when Macy*s and May merged, but no such luck. Shame, as it is an excellent example of 1960's retail architecture.

In addition to the two used and one unused floor, there's a basement in that store that I'm guessing opened to the underground parking. The existing Home store does not use the entire third floor, so moving to an even bigger store is probably out of the question. Perhaps Westfield can level the store and add some inline shops, such as a one-level Bed Bath and Beyond.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

rwsandiego wrote:
Jeff wrote:
rwsandiego wrote:
I was hoping for the same thing when Macy*s and May merged, but no such luck. Shame, as it is an excellent example of 1960's retail architecture.

In addition to the two used and one unused floor, there's a basement in that store that I'm guessing opened to the underground parking. The existing Home store does not use the entire third floor, so moving to an even bigger store is probably out of the question. Perhaps Westfield can level the store and add some inline shops, such as a one-level Bed Bath and Beyond.
I forgot to add Horton Plaza.
Store is a sad state, the mall is dying and when I went there last week, only a few persons besides me in the entire store at 6pm.

And yes Chula Vista Center