Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale prices

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Super S

Re: Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale pr

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: October 9th, 2020, 11:00 pm An interesting observation. Chase is replacing all their Fred Meyer locations with freestanding locations. They are refocusing on private banking and that's hard to do in a grocery store. Not sure if this is only in the Portland market. Curious to see what goes in these vacant Chase spaces. I'm guessing they may find a credit union. The other option is a medical clinic.
This has been going on pretty much since Chase took over Washington Mutual. Many in-store branches have already closed. The space in the Longview store was repurposed for online order processing.
storewanderer

Re: Fred Meyer "Spokane Test" - eliminate dedicated electronics, reduce GM, expand liquor/food, require card for sale pr

Post by storewanderer »

I think Kroger has expanded pharmacy in some stores where this has happened too, or installed an expanded Starbucks space.
Super S

Post by Super S »

An interesting observation. Fred Meyer is advertising their Black Friday sales on TV, and mentioning their sock sale using the Kroger animated characters. On TV they seem to not be making mention of the card at all, however, their ad which is posted on the Fred Meyer website clearly states that the card is required for the sock sale pricing. This sale is something Fred Meyer has done for years, and I wonder how many people are going to show up who have not read the online ad and then get in to arguments about the card requirement. I am sure store signage will mention this, but people don't always read signs.

In my opinion, the card requirement on the GM side is not helping that already struggling side of the store at all. Especially during the COVID situation.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: November 20th, 2020, 6:38 am An interesting observation. Fred Meyer is advertising their Black Friday sales on TV, and mentioning their sock sale using the Kroger animated characters. On TV they seem to not be making mention of the card at all, however, their ad which is posted on the Fred Meyer website clearly states that the card is required for the sock sale pricing. This sale is something Fred Meyer has done for years, and I wonder how many people are going to show up who have not read the online ad and then get in to arguments about the card requirement. I am sure store signage will mention this, but people don't always read signs.

In my opinion, the card requirement on the GM side is not helping that already struggling side of the store at all. Especially during the COVID situation.
Maybe they have a store card to scan for customers who don't have a card, which does not accumulate points or other "benefits." Smiths has such a card. Smiths has always been very loose with cards, often with stacks of new ones on self checkouts to take freely, etc. Haven't seen that so much lately but in the past it was common.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Super S wrote: November 20th, 2020, 6:38 am An interesting observation. Fred Meyer is advertising their Black Friday sales on TV, and mentioning their sock sale using the Kroger animated characters. On TV they seem to not be making mention of the card at all, however, their ad which is posted on the Fred Meyer website clearly states that the card is required for the sock sale pricing. This sale is something Fred Meyer has done for years, and I wonder how many people are going to show up who have not read the online ad and then get in to arguments about the card requirement. I am sure store signage will mention this, but people don't always read signs.

I was hoping to post the spot, but I can't find it online anywhere. They appear to be the only retailer (locally) heavily pushing a "Black Friday sale" event specifically on the day. The TV ad also makes no mention of doorbusters, etc. etc. so it must be modified slightly from the norm.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:07 pm I was hoping to post the spot, but I can't find it online anywhere. They appear to be the only retailer (locally) heavily pushing a "Black Friday sale" event specifically on the day. The TV ad also makes no mention of doorbusters, etc. etc. so it must be modified slightly from the norm.
Aren't Kohls, Macys, etc. opening at 5 AM on Black Friday? I assume they are not opening at 5 AM just for the heck of it and must be planning doorbusters, etc. as well?

Though Macy's has had signs up all month that say "Black Friday" on various sale racks. It seems to be their new favorite sale phrase, replacing the infamous "One Day Sale" that lasted a week.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 20th, 2020, 10:17 pm
SamSpade wrote: November 20th, 2020, 4:07 pm I was hoping to post the spot, but I can't find it online anywhere. They appear to be the only retailer (locally) heavily pushing a "Black Friday sale" event specifically on the day. The TV ad also makes no mention of doorbusters, etc. etc. so it must be modified slightly from the norm.
Aren't Kohls, Macys, etc. opening at 5 AM on Black Friday? I assume they are not opening at 5 AM just for the heck of it and must be planning doorbusters, etc. as well?

Though Macy's has had signs up all month that say "Black Friday" on various sale racks. It seems to be their new favorite sale phrase, replacing the infamous "One Day Sale" that lasted a week.
Unless the thought is they know many people will still want to shop on that day, so by opening early and running a longer day, they will spread out the shoppers planning to come to ease concerns on crowing within the store?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

On a non Black Friday note, Onpoint Credit Union is replacing Chase in the Portland area Fred Meyer stores. Says a lot about where the banking industry is headed. A lot of retail banking has moved to credit unions while the old school banks are focusing more on building relationships with higher net worth clients.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/ne ... 8#cxrecs_s
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 3:11 pm On a non Black Friday note, Onpoint Credit Union is replacing Chase in the Portland area Fred Meyer stores. Says a lot about where the banking industry is headed. A lot of retail banking has moved to credit unions while the old school banks are focusing more on building relationships with higher net worth clients.

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland/ne ... 8#cxrecs_s
I used to bank with Washington Mutual. When Chase took over, things changed for the worse. I jumped ship to a credit union and never looked back.

Seafirst, later Bank of America, had a bunch of in-store branches at Safeway stores at one time, but most of these have faded away.

The credit unions are actively opening new branches, and expanding others, while banks are scaling way back.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Same here!

Was with WM for a long time and then Chase arrived!

It was a total nightmare on every level (worse than my previous experiences with BoA).

Very high credit score here and I was treated like garbage.

Capital One is just as bad!