The Return of Sav-On?

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

The Return of Sav-On?

Post by submariner »

Here's an interesting find. Normal Albertsons/Sav-On stores are simply a normal Albertsons with a Sav-On branded pharmacy counter. Today I saw a newer Albs store with what's best described as a 'store-within-a-store' (Alpine, CA). on the outside, instead of having a "Sav-On" sign next to the Albertsons logo, this store has the full-fledged "Sav-On Pharmacy" logo on the far end from the Albertsons logo. When inside, the Sav-On section is distinctly separate with its own signage and shelving.

There's been rumors that SuperValu was toying with the idea of re-opening some standalone Sav-On stores, and this concept may give us a look into what those stores may look like...

Alpha8472

Re: The Return of Sav-On?

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is certainly a surprise. The Sav-On signage gives the store some color compared to the bland white color of the Premium Fresh and Healthy decor.

I like how the drug store section has the lighted shelves. It catches the eye and makes people want to walk up close and look at what is on the shelf. I have noticed that CVS also uses lighted shelves. It doesn't do much for energy conservation, but it looks cool.
storewanderer

Re: The Return of Sav-On?

Post by storewanderer »

Also keep in mind that the entire drug region is still "open" - just that it is simply the Osco side of the Jewel-Osco Stores back in IL. These stores run just like a freestanding Osco/Sav-On used to be operated. They still run a seperate print ad each week for Osco (in the old format, but a bit shorter than before), the employees working on the drug side of the store still wear the old drug uniforms, the shelf tags are the old drug shelf tags, etc. They were also running radio ads for Osco back there (just Osco was mentioned in these radio ads, not Jewel). It wouldn't be too hard for Supervalu to open a freestanding drug store since the systems and distribution are still in place to do so. I just don't know that SoCal will be where they do it.