Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Marathon to acquire Andeavor (Tesoro)

Post by Brian Lutz »

I have seen that the few Marathon stations that have popped up in the area so far have their fuel priced pretty aggressively, probably $0.10-0.20 less per gallon than nearby Chevron, Shell or 76 stations. I imagine they are doing it to try to establish the brand in the area. Haven't ever seen a Sinclair station in this area, although that could change as well. Then again, there's enough Shell stations in this area (mostly run by Jacksons) that I have to imagine most of the refinery capacity is still going to those regardless of ownership.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Marathon has the old Tesoro refinery in Anacortes.

The few CA Marathons I've seen are priced very aggressively as well. Really sloppy rebrandings and they almost look like bad knockoffs compared to the Marathons I have seen in the midwest.

So far two Marathons quickly came and went in my area. One was in Washoe City, NV and I never even saw it open, but it was open for a month or two. It got a legitimate Marathon canopy but the sign/pumps were very sloppily converted. The next one was in Sparks, NV and this was a station that was vacant for years then reopened unbranded maybe last year, then had Marathon branding for a month or two this year, now it is unbranded again. The Sparks one just got a banner on the sign, nothing on the canopy, and the pumps had little Marathon stickers. I did buy gas at the Sparks one a couple of times and the credit card charges posted from Marathon's OH address when I dug down to merchant details.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The Holding family is selling Sinclair to concentrate on their Grand America/Little America hotels and resorts
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:14 am You may see more Sinclair stations in the next few years. HollyFrontier, which is in the process of acquiring Sinclair, has bought the Shell refinery in Washington
Shell is a more established brand in this area though. Not sure they would change to a lesser known brand, although it seems like Shell does get bounced around a bit.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: November 18th, 2021, 12:42 pm
jamcool wrote: November 18th, 2021, 8:14 am You may see more Sinclair stations in the next few years. HollyFrontier, which is in the process of acquiring Sinclair, has bought the Shell refinery in Washington
Shell is a more established brand in this area though. Not sure they would change to a lesser known brand, although it seems like Shell does get bounced around a bit.
Shell is selling a lot of refineries. They have a supply agreement with HollyFrontier to continue to support the Shell branded network in OR/WA.

Shell has a lot of arrangements so Shell fuel is sold that does not come from Shell refineries.

Generally speaking the brand on the gas station anywhere does not necessarily mean the fuel sold there comes from that oil company's refinery. It is more based on what oil refinery the local terminal is connected to and then at the local terminal there are additive mixes for each oil brand that get added to the fuel during the transport process. In larger areas where they are multiple terminals you may have the Shell terminal connected to the Shell refinery and the gas picked up at the terminal on a Shell truck then delivered to the station but that sort of arrangement has become less and less common over the years.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen a couple newish Marathon gas station in my area. They are lower in price than most other stations. However, when I tried to use the Marathon Rewards at the pump, it gave an error. The Marathon Rewards program only works at some stations. The gas canopy at one station was redone and looks very new with nice lighting. The pumps seem relatively new and were properly branded. The convenience store received some new LED lighting. Or maybe the store owner just put up a string of LED Christmas lights on the front of the store. It looks very professional looking. The inside of the convenience store is rundown and unchanged.