Basics Market

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Basics expansion to Aloha 2022

Post by SamSpade »

babs wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 10:11 pm The Bales / Lambs stores failed because they were run of the mill grocery stores with sky high prices and nothing unique or gourmet about it. Customers looking for natural or high end goods weren't shopping there. If Basics can attract customers who want natural / gourmet products, They will do fine. The demographics of the area isn't high end but these days income isn't as much of a factor at these gourmet stores as it used to be.
Yup. Also worth noting that the nearby Albertsons was significantly renovated to become a Safeway. It looks pretty nice, albeit still more of an Albertsons than Safeway in some ways (floor plan).

I think there are some high income households south of here and the Portland regional urban growth boundary (complex political tool that decides what can be built where or not built at all) was extended nearby. I am hopeful for Basics to succeed where Bales could not.

Of note, from the last 4 Bales/Lambs to go, 3 of 4 will still be food shops. The 4th will become a "mini" Target.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Basics Market

Post by SamSpade »

Basics Market - Farmington is now open. They used direct mail a bit early (they probably hoped to be open by that week) and have posted some to Instagram. Nice update on the old store, I hope to go by sometime in the next few days to see what's presented.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Basics Farmington has celebrated one year in operation.

A closing sign has been hung at the former Basics Meat Market turned "Outlet" in Beaverton. I did not understand the outlet concept from this company, as the ads never really made it clear what was going on there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What exactly was the outlet concept trying to do? That is an old Burgerville building, tiny. Doesn't look like it had much more going on than a meat counter.

Maybe they used it to dump about to expire perishables from the full size units?
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Basics market is closing one remaining grocery store on Farmington Rd. The only store left is a small location in Hillsdale.
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... store.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This does not surprise me.

Should have tried to get URM as a supplier. May have worked out better. Couldn't have worked out any worse than UNFI/Supervalu did.

Should have tried a hybrid discount natural/organic format like the Shop N Kart down in Ashland (which is also supplied by UNFI/Supervalu).

Lots of things they should have tried. Trying to be like Market of Choice or New Seasons in that neighborhood wasn't one of them, and they didn't even execute as well as Market of Choice does. Probably on par with the current New Seasons on execution with how downhill New Seasons has gone- not bad but not good enough.

I also question how their other location that is staying open survives. Maybe with its size, it doesn't need much volume. Also they hardly spent any money from the co-op thing that was previously there. They blew way too much money on Aloha. I have no clue what they were thinking.