Wendy's

cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Wendy's

Post by cjd »

My local Wendy’s has been under a remodel the last few weeks. Not sure if this was due to hurricane damage or already planned. It was the only Wendy’s I’m aware of that still had the early 2000s look and decor.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have seen some recent remodels. The decor gets cheaper and cheaper. They used to put in fireplaces in the new decor. Now there is no fireplace and few couches.

It is so boring that I often confuse the decor with the new KFC decor.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Yeah I used to go to one sometimes that was remodeled around 2015-2016? It had the couches and fireplace. It had some glass pendant lights too and sometimes at night they’d turn off the overhead lights and leave those on, which made for a relaxing atmosphere.

All the others around here have been remodeled after that, and I’ve never been to them so can’t say what they’re like.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The initial unit remodels were the very best performing units and they did very nice remodels to those units.

During COVID they started to remodel some very iffy units that I am a little bit surprised actually stayed open. One franchisee out of CA did two of those remodels in my area: around 3200 S. Virginia in Reno and in North Carson Street Carson City. Those old 70's or 80's era units. They aren't open very often inside, but they were very dire before the remodels. The remodels they completely renovated inside and they did take away some tables but they did a nice job. They have a small fireplace. They added a good sized condiment station, put in self serve drinks, and the units are much more comfortable and inviting inside than they were before.

They did not TOUCH the prep areas or back areas at all- same old tiles, old equipment, old everything. This enabled them to stay open during renovations (they were drive through only anyway), but I was very surprised they did not make some changes as those have a rather awkward small prep space.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wendy's is replacing the Strawberry Frosty with a Peppermint Frosty on November 15.

They are also adding an Italian Mozzarella Chicken Sandwich and Cheeseburger, and garlic fries.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 2:54 pm Wendy's is replacing the Strawberry Frosty with a Peppermint Frosty on November 15.

They are also adding an Italian Mozzarella Chicken Sandwich and Cheeseburger, and garlic fries.
Lately in my area it seems I am about 1 for 5 visits in getting a Strawberry Frosty, but Vanilla has always been available.

Zero interest in a Peppermint Frosty, yuck. And good luck cleaning the machines in January to get that Peppermint flavor out of them.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 6th, 2022, 7:15 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 2:54 pm Wendy's is replacing the Strawberry Frosty with a Peppermint Frosty on November 15.

Lately in my area it seems I am about 1 for 5 visits in getting a Strawberry Frosty, but Vanilla has always been available.

Zero interest in a Peppermint Frosty, yuck. And good luck cleaning the machines in January to get that Peppermint flavor out of them.
No need to do that, just go back to chocolate ones in that machine and advertise it as "minty flavored chocolate" for a while until the mint is cleared out of the system ;)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wendy's has introduced garlic fries. They are served in a plastic tray with a lid. Some restaurants are selling it for $2.19 to $3.59. They taste like fries with garlic seasoning. They were OK, but nothing like the McDonald's garlic fries made with real Gilroy garlic.

I also noticed that they have a new fried mozzarella chicken sandwich to compete with Burger King's Italian Royal Crispy Chicken Sandwich which has a slice of mozzarella cheese.

The peppermint Frosty has replaced strawberry.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The Garlic Fries seem to use some sort of a garlic sauce (not sure if it's a mayo based sauce or something more similar to the Papa Johns garlic sauce), where most of the garlic fries (the "ballpark" style ones) I'm familiar with use minced garlic. I don't think I'm in a huge hurry to try them though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I tried the peppermint frosty. Absolutely terrible. Tasted like a cough drop. I had a couple spoonfulls and threw the rest of it away. Worst part was to get the awful taste out of my mouth, even the burger tasted funny until I got to the onion part, then that took care of the peppermint cough drop taste.

This is just terrible. I've had Peppermint Milkshakes in the past from other fast food places and enjoyed them, so it isn't that I don't like peppermint...