Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Walmart observations

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 8:29 am
storewanderer wrote: September 1st, 2022, 10:23 pm
BillyGr wrote: September 1st, 2022, 5:04 pm
The point was, theft is never allowed by any law, thus why they are to be charged with doing so. Also, that since a basket is (normally) not being sold, there is no question that someone is taking it where other items (merchandise) can be harder to determine at some points.
I am not familiar with the laws in NJ. Can the person be charged? In parts of CA, they could not be charged with anything because that hand basket is not valued above $900 or whatever the amount is. They could be trespassed out of the store though...
Theft is taking something that is NOT YOURS, no matter if it is worth 10 cents or 10 million dollars! Value has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!
I agree with you. However, legally, in some jurisdictions, value absolutely does have something to do with it if you're trying to prosecute someone for it...

If there is no punishment for theft, people will be much more comfortable engaging in it.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 9:36 am
BillyGr wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 8:29 am
storewanderer wrote: September 1st, 2022, 10:23 pm

I am not familiar with the laws in NJ. Can the person be charged? In parts of CA, they could not be charged with anything because that hand basket is not valued above $900 or whatever the amount is. They could be trespassed out of the store though...
Theft is taking something that is NOT YOURS, no matter if it is worth 10 cents or 10 million dollars! Value has NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!
I agree with you. However, legally, in some jurisdictions, value absolutely does have something to do with it if you're trying to prosecute someone for it...

If there is no punishment for theft, people will be much more comfortable engaging in it.
Theft could be punished for ANY VALUE, the amount may make a difference between a minor and major charge (so some people may simply not want to do the work if the charge is going to be minor) but there is no theft that is legal, no matter where you are!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 5:10 pm

Theft could be punished for ANY VALUE, the amount may make a difference between a minor and major charge (so some people may simply not want to do the work if the charge is going to be minor) but there is no theft that is legal, no matter where you are!
Yes, but under $950 is going as a misdemeanor in certain western regions now. That is almost the same as no punishment at all. Not saying it is right but that is how it is. I suppose you could say the misdemeanor is punishment but the repeat offenders out in the field shoplifting in these regions out west don't seem too worried about it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I had jury duty a few weeks ago in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even in the supposedly conservative suburbs, trying to convict people was an uphill battle. I thought the guy was guilty for sure. Even the judge thought it would be a quick trial. I was shocked as most of the people on the jury voted not guilty. The jury must be unanimous or else the person will be found not guilty.

If there is any doubt at all you must vote not guilty.

Prosecuting people for misdemeanor crimes is simply not even attempted unless they are in addition to more heinous felony crimes. The courts have bigger crimes to deal with. The big crimes are still hard to get guilty verdicts.

There are states such as Arizona where you can get a felony for stealing a very low dollar amount of stuff. That state seems to have police that really go to the stores to get the criminals. There is a much better police response.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 10:41 pm I had jury duty a few weeks ago in the San Francisco Bay Area. Even in the supposedly conservative suburbs, trying to convict people was an uphill battle. I thought the guy was guilty for sure. Even the judge thought it would be a quick trial. I was shocked as most of the people on the jury voted not guilty. The jury must be unanimous or else the person will be found not guilty.

If there is any doubt at all you must vote not guilty.

Prosecuting people for misdemeanor crimes is simply not even attempted unless they are in addition to more heinous felony crimes. The courts have bigger crimes to deal with. The big crimes are still hard to get guilty verdicts.

There are states such as Arizona where you can get a felony for stealing a very low dollar amount of stuff. That state seems to have police that really go to the stores to get the criminals. There is a much better police response.
This is the reality. In larger metro areas on the west coast the misdemeanor crimes are not even being heard in most cases. The person who stole a shopping basket in NY may well get punished but it is not going to be much more than a slap on the wrist in a major metro area out west. Just the reality of the situation. Theft is theft but how it is treated is radically different by region.

Arizona has been known for tough law enforcement for years. They have these invasive speed cameras that take your speed as you drive around and send you a speeding ticket. I had one flash me once out in Globe on the 25 MPH highway but somehow I never got any ticket, not even sure I was speeding but was the only car around and the thing flashed me. A coworker got flashed and received a ticket a month later. I have also seen these cameras in Oregon. These types of cameras or red light ticket issuing cameras are illegal in Nevada.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I walked through the clearance aisle of the local Walmart a couple days ago. I found some strange things for sale, including a random electric automotive fan clutch in an open box (This Walmart does not have an auto center), several types of jewelry with Claire's branding, and a few other assorted things that struck me as not-typical Walmart merchandise. Is Walmart just throwing online returns out on the floor now?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: September 11th, 2022, 8:32 am I walked through the clearance aisle of the local Walmart a couple days ago. I found some strange things for sale, including a random electric automotive fan clutch in an open box (This Walmart does not have an auto center), several types of jewelry with Claire's branding, and a few other assorted things that struck me as not-typical Walmart merchandise. Is Walmart just throwing online returns out on the floor now?
The best clearance at Wal Mart tends to be within the departments. They don't seem to have time to move stuff to clearance aisles lately.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Yes, they put online returns on the sales floor. I have seen Walmart put toilets on the floor. People order things online and decide not to buy it. A Walmart employee says many customers order sex toys which are not normally sold in stores.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart has Christmas merchandise and displays with trees already set up.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Christmas is being set at the expense of the rest of the store. Pallets are piling up like I've never seen before. But there is a team of employees trying to set Christmas. Corporate office must have ordered to drop everything and stock Christmas.

It amazes me this company can post record profits when I see stores that look the way they do, and the problems getting merchandise stocked, and excessive markdowns I've been seeing and benefiting from. Just amazing to me. This company is an amazing powerful machine that is so strong that it can absorb problems that would bankrupt many other retailers quickly.