Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Re: Walmart observations

Post by Alpha8472 »

Analysts say Walmart will win this holiday season. To stretch their dollars, customers seem to be gravitating to Walmart. Walmart is hiring only 40,000 seasonal employees vs. 150,000 in previous years. Be prepared for long lines and empty shelves. Or maybe Walmart will just whip its employees to make them work faster.

Walmart claims if each customer has a larger transaction amount, then you need fewer employees.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walmart- ... 45660.html
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

If Wal Mart can't figure out how to get its shelves stocked on the higher margin general merchandise, they won't win anything this holiday season. Toy areas are a total fiasco with half completed or completed but not properly stocked resets from the summer. In the past week and a half around Reno, the condition of their stores has deteriorated to a low never seen before. The difference now is there are even MORE trailers out back, even MORE unstocked pallets on the sales floor, and the aisles in a lot of departments in home look like a store that is about 2/3 through a going out of business sale not unlike how the Reno Target looks also (though no pallets at Target).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walmart has Christmas items with the prices written on the items packaging or labels. The prices seem pretty reasonable. I assume that they set the prices before inflation. If they wanted to charge more, they would have to replace all the labels and boxes.

The Christmas ornaments are no longer glass or metal. They are all plastic now. Is this due to the metal and glass shortage?

Even the garden tools at Walmart have switched to plastic. Shovels were once metal, now they are plastic. These items simply will not last.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Anyone ever seen a Wal Mart before that blocks off the entire back driveway between automotive and general merchandise receiving and has the asphalt outside covered with boxes and pallets literally so thick a vehicle couldn't drive through this area even if they wanted to?

Store in question also has at least 30 storage trailers between garden and automotive which you can drive up to auto entry (but not exit, to get out of auto bay you have to back out) and also in the front parking lot in front of garden entry.

But almost no pallets inside on the sales floor...

Let me be clear here they are storing what looks like a dozen trucks worth of merchandise OUTSIDE in the back corner of the lot and this is surrounded by not busy streets.

I guess this is one way to do it...?

Cannot believe any company would approve this.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The problem is that the corporate office views the cameras in the store and checks to see if the store is neat and free of obstructions. Then the store manager is congratulated by the upper management. However, the corporate office does not check the outside cameras.

Walmart has some serious priority issues. However, that is what the store manager has to do to keep the higher up people at corporate off his back.

There are Walmart stores that are horribly run, but the corporate office is oblivious because they base certain things just on what the inside cameras show.

When the corporate people visit, the store manager is going to panic at the mess he has created outside. This information was told to me by a Walmart associate who is in management.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 11:42 pm The problem is that the corporate office views the cameras in the store and checks to see if the store is neat and free of obstructions. Then the store manager is congratulated by the upper management. However, the corporate office does not check the outside cameras.

Walmart has some serious priority issues. However, that is what the store manager has to do to keep the higher up people at corporate off his back.

There are Walmart stores that are horribly run, but the corporate office is oblivious because they base certain things just on what the inside cameras show.

When the corporate people visit, the store manager is going to panic at the mess he has created outside. This information was told to me by a Walmart associate who is in management.
I don't want to step out of line here but I was horrified by what I saw tonight. I have never seen anything like this in my life or heard of anything like this in my life. There are so many problems with what I saw, I don't even know where to start.

Every truck driver who delivers to this store is going to see this fiasco. You would think some people would talk about this and the message would somehow filter upstream as to what is going on.
jipper
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by jipper »

A few years back, at about this time of year, my local Walmart Super Center had over 50 shipping containers all over the side and back of the store. The alley way behind the store had barely enough room for a car to get through, much less any emergency vehicle. As this store is located as you drive in to town, it made for a really bad look.

What really surprised me was that the city allowed it. However, I will say that last year there were considerably fewer containers on site and the behind the store area was pretty clear.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: October 7th, 2022, 12:03 am
Alpha8472 wrote: October 6th, 2022, 11:42 pm The problem is that the corporate office views the cameras in the store and checks to see if the store is neat and free of obstructions. Then the store manager is congratulated by the upper management. However, the corporate office does not check the outside cameras.

I don't want to step out of line here but I was horrified by what I saw tonight. I have never seen anything like this in my life or heard of anything like this in my life. There are so many problems with what I saw, I don't even know where to start.

Every truck driver who delivers to this store is going to see this fiasco. You would think some people would talk about this and the message would somehow filter upstream as to what is going on.
I HAVE seen this before!

FRESH & EASY!

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wish I had better pictures.

Must be quite a sight in daylight.
Wmtback1.jpg
Wmtback.jpg
Wmtback2.jpg
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

I noticed one of my local Walmart stores going through another remodel, despite updating to the latest prototype a year or two ago. I noticed the jewelry counter was eliminated and now it is just some junk jewelry out in the open, and the paint counter was also very recently removed (I can't imagine it did much business given there is a Lowe's right behind this particular store). Anyone else notice something similar?