Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart observations

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote: January 1st, 2023, 6:01 pm People buy Christmas lights and then put them away. They often forget they have them in storage somewhere and they buy brand new ones. Christmas lights are treated as disposable these days. They don't cost that much, and trying to save a tangled mess of lights is not worth it. They get tossed out along with broken and scratched ornaments. Next year, people will just buy new ones.

Even if a few lights burn out, it is easier to just buy a new set than try to buy bulbs to fix it.
I'm sure some do that, but many people do, in fact, reuse them from year to year. The point being that those who do may not need replacements as often as was once the case, since the majority of the LED ones will last much longer without having any burnt-out bulbs than the older styles did.
Super S wrote: January 1st, 2023, 7:09 pm
BillyGr wrote: January 1st, 2023, 4:57 pm I wonder if places are starting to see a bit of a decline in sales of lights, now that LED items have been out for a fair number of years?

Many who had the older ones have already converted to LED, and while some still stop working every so often, they seem to (as the regular LED bulbs do) have a fairly long lifespan, meaning that replacements wouldn't be needed as often.
Much like what happened when compact fluorescent bulbs (CFL bulbs) started taking off, the market has been flooded with LED bulbs with varying levels of quality. While there are good ones out there, there are also quite a few LED bulbs out there that are not living up to their expectations of long lifetimes, and it seems like this is more of an issue with off-brand items manufactured to a lower price point, a category that Christmas lights generally fall into. The last true national brand was/is GE, but GE has not manufactured their own light sets in many years.

Long story short, there will always be a demand in this category.
I'm sure there will always be some demand, the thinking was that it may not be as large as what stores were used to when people were replacing the older style lights with the LED ones the first time (where they might purchase a quantity of sets at one time), nor as much as it was with the older ones that would burn out somewhat more frequently (no matter what brand they were from).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Today was 75% off clearance on Christmas items at Wal Mart. I went, and the amount of product available still was very impressive. This is a very busy location and being expanded for .com fulfillment but the store itself is remodeled and no longer disrupted from that project. One thing I did not notice: Christmas Trees. Not sure if those all sold or what but there wasn't one around. Probably 40 feet of lights on tall shelves in garden at this location; also those popcorn tins on pallets in garden, and about 40 feet of gift wrap and such out in garden.

One full aisle was filled with random stuff in mixed item type boxes. I suspect all of those were returns. Quite a lot of returns...

Might be time for Wal Mart to put the nasty old Shopko return policy in place: if you return a seasonal item that is on clearance at the time of return, the amount refunded will be the current clearance price.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There was a plastic tree shortage this year in many places. Trees have sold out very quickly.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Artificial Christmas trees are traditionally the only item that these chains pack away at end of season. They keep just fine in a box on the top rack of the pallet racking until next year. Usually the only reason they will clearance out is if that model is not going to be brought back the next year. Trees do seem to have had a better sell through rate due to the live tree shortage this year.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 2nd, 2023, 6:12 pm
Might be time for Wal Mart to put the nasty old Shopko return policy in place: if you return a seasonal item that is on clearance at the time of return, the amount refunded will be the current clearance price.
This really has become essential. Lowe's already has the policy that seasonal cannot be returned for any reason after the holiday. Stupid deal websites give coaching to people on how to try to con a store into returning and reselling your Christmas items to you at clearance price after the holiday.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 3rd, 2023, 1:34 pm

This really has become essential. Lowe's already has the policy that seasonal cannot be returned for any reason after the holiday. Stupid deal websites give coaching to people on how to try to con a store into returning and reselling your Christmas items to you at clearance price after the holiday.
The amount of fraud is absurd. And the way these return policies are written does not make sense. The worst one is when customers will go buy a holiday item on clearance on 12/26, then come and return it with a receipt that is dated 12/19 (without leaving the store). Some customers are dumb enough to not realize the UPCs are different on different color lights/ornaments etc. and of course the return is rejected and they argue about it. My favorite was one who blamed a cashier for using the "quantity key" on completely different items "oh I didn't buy 3 of those, the cashier must have done a 3 quantity on those and not scanned these that I want to return." This retailer had updated its software so if a cashier scanned the same item 3 times separately it displayed on the receipt as a single line item 3 quantity. Now it is possible the cashier scanned the same ornament 3 times but since these were completely different items I again found that unlikely. At that time the quantity key was limited by said retailer and in order to use it, a manager override was required, which I am confident no manager would have done an override so someone could 3 quantity key on some Christmas ornaments. The only time that was overriden with a manager key was if someone was buying a case of items and the UPC was being hand keyed in.

Pretty much all return policies, if the store does price adjustments at all, "NO PRICE ADJUSTMENTS ON CLEARANCE ITEMS."

Yet the customer can just return the Christmas item, then re-buy it at the clearance price. Nothing in the policies says the customer cannot do that.

My guess is at the end of the day the amount of loss from customers doing screwy stuff like this on holiday returns is minimal. This is the type of fraud these return monitoring systems various retailers use should flag. If a customer returns a UPC and receives back full price, then turns around and buys the exact same UPC 20 minutes later at 75% off, that should end up in the system as potential suspicious refund activity. And many next time the customer return of full price seasonal items after the season is over will automatically be declined by the system.

But the better thing would be to just change the return policy. You return items that are on clearance at the time of return? Okay- all you get back is current clearance price. Item broken? Okay- you can have an even exchange I guess (I don't like this one because I could see it abused too, but might be a reasonable compromise to help people who legitimately get broken items but can't get to the store to return them before the holiday passes).

Where this also gets fuzzy is many of these holiday items are private label items. Most retailer private label items have a money back/satisfaction guarantee.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I’ve noticed Walmart is offering a rather large line of small appliances called “Beautiful” which are apparently sponsored by Drew Barrymore. Most of them are a textured white color with rose gold.

I’m not sure if this is a Walmart exclusive brand or not, and it doesn’t seem to be replacing the Farberware or Mainstays brands of appliances that Walmart has.

I think this is intended to be at a different price point than those.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Yes, it's a Walmart exclusive. There's a Beautiful by Drew websitewhere it looks like you can order their products, but once you click on something, it redirects you to Walmart. And it's not just appliances, and not just one color.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It looks like these are produced by Made By Gather, the same company that produces Bella brand appliances. The overly slick website and tthe picture of the dudebro CEO with an office full of Supreme merchandise tells me that they're in the business of selling fashion accessories disguised as appliances, which seems to suggest that most of this stuff won't last much beyond whatever warranty it comes with (and I can't seem to find any info on a warranty anyway.)
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

Brian Lutz wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:25 am It looks like these are produced by Made By Gather, the same company that produces Bella brand appliances. The overly slick website and tthe picture of the dudebro CEO with an office full of Supreme merchandise tells me that they're in the business of selling fashion accessories disguised as appliances, which seems to suggest that most of this stuff won't last much beyond whatever warranty it comes with (and I can't seem to find any info on a warranty anyway.)
The headline of fostering connection in the kitchen says a lot about the company even before you get down to dudebro (great descriptor BTW) in his kitchen. And what does this say about the American consumer? We buy cheap crap just because of the celebrity name attached to it? No wonder we have such a disposable culture now. I'm glad I still have my parents original Farberware from the 1960s and 1970s that is actually well made and will last a lot more years.