Walmart observations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart observations

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: December 12th, 2023, 10:25 pm
ClownLoach wrote: December 12th, 2023, 5:05 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 11th, 2023, 10:39 pm

That sure didn't take long.

Any idea why it got removed?

Doesn't Albertsons/Vons still handle D&W in SoCal? I wonder if they have an exclusive?

In AZ/Las Vegas Albertsons/Vons do not have D&W anymore. I don't understand why they quit carrying it in that division.
Not sure. There was a deli worker with a line of customers so I didn't ask. The deli case looked so messy that I think it would have been more organized if one loaded it by throwing the meats and cheeses in from across the department blindfolded. I wouldn't eat anything out of that filthy case. This was odd since the rest of the store is still immaculate and very busy since the (majority of) the remodel was completed. If I was D&W and saw these conditions I would remove my product.
There are a couple of Wal Mart Delis in my area that look that way. There are others that look like any other supermarket deli. It is somewhat strange. I'm not interested in their standard lunchmeat but if they had D&W I'd buy from them. Their hot food area has a 1pc Chicken Strip/1 Side "snack" at a 2.48 price point or something that is an excellent value at this point in time.

I pulled the D&W locator up and the Wal Marts seem to just have limited prepack stuff there, like here. I see one Sprouts in Oceanside showing as having the D&W line. I also looked in AZ at the stores I saw it, and some show 8 SKUs which is more than typical but far from the full line. So I wonder if D&W service deli program is out the door at Wal Mart.

The D&W locator may not be entirely accurate because Corti Brothers in Sacramento has D&W (also has Boar's Head, Columbus, Molinari, and various in store made stuff) and isn't on the D&W locator. Unless it has disappeared from there in recent weeks too...
It must be recently updated because I looked at it a few months ago when all this discussion began and that Walmart had a decent selection. So it would appear that D&W has pulled their product from Walmart except for the few prepacked items that I saw (a random salami). Part of the reason it looked like a mess was because it was such an empty case now. Huge case with just a few random turkey and hams, nothing straight or priced properly, no roast beef that I saw. Just gross.

Odd that a Sprouts has D&W, but few Sprouts had Boars Head before the Henry's merger either. Maybe they're testing D&W? I find D&W cheese to be inferior to Boars Head. I like a good very sharp cheddar and the black wax or red wax sharps from Boars Head are amongst the best I've ever had, better than Tillamook and Cabot.

I tried Kretschmar fancy roast beef and it tasted like they use horseradish as a flavoring. If I wanted horseradish I'd add it myself. No indication that it had horseradish flavoring. Won't buy that again.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Walmart observations

Post by Romr123 »

Big D&W billboard right outside the Meijer in Detroit at 8/Woodward. On the locator, 28 items available for that store (closest Walmart--4 items).

It's weird, though--at stores where I'm 99% sure I've bought D&W sliced for me (Hollywood Mkt) it only shows pre-pack items.