Lucerne Dairy Products In Walmart Canada

News & Discussion from the grocery retailers in the Canadian provinces & territories
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Lucerne Dairy Products In Walmart Canada

Post by marshd1000 »

I am currently visiting Vancouver, BC. So I was in the Walmart Supercentre at Capilano Mall in North Vancouver. But I saw something very shocking, Lucerne Milk in the dairy case. I know that Sobey’s had acquired the brand rights for Canada when they took over Canada Safeway. I also know it is available in Sobey’s branded stores in Western Canada. I am also aware that they sold the processing facilities to Agropur Cooperative. But I thought that they licensed the name to Agropur and that Lucerne would only be in Sobey’s owned or franchised stores. But here is an article about it’s availability in Walmart!

https://www.foodincanada.com/food-in-ca ... da-140797/
Super S

Re: Lucerne Dairy Products In Walmart Canada

Post by Super S »

Lucerne is a private label where the value has been blurred for years. As far back as the 1980s, selected Lucerne products such as yogurt were sold at stores such as Waremart, and at the time, even featured the Safeway logo. These were still available at WinCo stores until a few years ago when they rolled out a new private label program, and it is worth noting WinCo operates stores in some of the same regions as Safeway.

It would be very interesting if Lucerne products appeared in U.S. Walmart stores.

In some ways it reminds me of how the Craftsman brand, once exclusive to Sears, appeared in other stores for a while before Sears finally sold off the brand. We all know what is happening to Sears...
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

In the case of Lucerne Canada, I think Safeway US signed over the rights to Sobey’s. On the carton of 2% milk I bought, it did say that Agropur was using the name under license but the company that held the license had a bunch of numbers as part of the name and “Nova Scotia” as part of the name. So I suspect that might be a division of Sobey’s, which is from Nova Scotia, that holds the Lucerne trademark rights. I do remember seeing Lucerne in Winco I the past. But I can’t imagine Albertsons/Safeway allowing Lucerne to be in US Walmart stores!
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I should note that since Sobey’s took over Canada Safeway, there is no Lucerne branded cheese but Compliments cheese. But there is Lucerne Ice Cream. But at the Walmart I was at, I only saw liquid dairy with the Lucerne name!