Oregon Senate Passes Thin Plastic Bag Ban

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oregon Senate Passes Thin Plastic Bag Ban

Post by storewanderer » June 11th, 2019, 9:09 pm

This one even extends to restaurants. However, it does not require restaurants to charge a bag fee like it will to retailers. The bag fee at 5 cents, is well below cost for paper bags and thick plastic bags, so this will probably not help the retailer's bottom lines much... probably will be a sideways move at best.

In Canada at this point the majority of retailers, even places like TJ Maxx, are charging a 5 cent fee for the thin plastic bags... that is getting them some profit as the bags don't cost that much. Some of the retailers are donating the bag fees to non-profits... after "administration costs for bag reduction program" whatever that means. But this is definitely causing fewer people to take bags. And at least it is still the thin bags that you can re-use for trash or pet litter. Unlike the super thick California bags which are not really reusable and just releasing 10X more plastic into the waste stream. Terrible legislation in California.

It is all fine. Less purchasing from the retail stores and more purchasing from online with this type of garbage legislation. I got some orders recently that had so much plastic air padding inside the boxes, I poked all of the air padding and still filled up a thin grocery bag with all that plastic air padding which has zero re-use (unless I have a pallet of glass mugs or cases to re-sell). Not to mention the cardboard boxes which at least can go to recycling (who knows if they end up getting recycled).