Taco Time resurgence

Super S

Taco Time resurgence

Post by Super S »

In southwest Washington and northwest Oregon, Taco Time has been making a comeback over the past year. In Kelso a new standalone location opened last year, and in nearby Longview that location was recently remodeled. I have also noticed a few that have opened in former Arby's locations as well as former KFC locations.

About ten years ago, it seemed like most locations were going away, but I am glad to see a resurgence.
storewanderer

Re: Taco Time resurgence

Post by storewanderer »

The Kelso and Longview locations are part of the Seattle group, www.tacotimenw.com and the menu and other things seem to be different from the main Taco Time group which is a unit of Kahala.

Lots of Taco Times have closed down lower in Oregon. Medford used to have three, now it has one I think. Roseburg had 3, now I don't think it does. Klamath Falls had 2, now has 1, etc. I saw other out of business Taco Times as I was driving around OR last summer. There used to be one in Coos Bay; gone. Used to be one in Winston; gone.
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by tesg »

Yes, Taco Time NW is a former franchisee who broke off from the Taco Time International chain years ago. They are completely separate animals. Taco Time NW uses the traditional Taco Time recipes for the core tacos and burritos, but developed their own full menu over the years.

Since TTI was purchased by Kahala, they've been one of their more successful brands. And they're trying some co-branding with other Kahala brands (most notably Surf City Squeeze and Samurai Sam's.

The Taco Times in Utah and western Wyoming seem to be doing fine. They've done a lot of store rebuilding and remodeling over the past few years.

They've been adding combo stores in non-core areas too, but few of them have lasted very long.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I know a lot of the Taco Times in new territories have been pretty short lived. I think everything that was opened in Southern California has closed; they probably shouldn't even bother with that type of market there is so much competition. The one that opened in Reno replacing a Taco Bell Express in a gas station did not last long. The food was actually fine, but it just didn't do well enough. This is the third time Taco Time has opened and quickly closed here in the past decade, after a fairly good run from the late 70's to mid 90's having multiple area locations. The customer base in the area of the gas station preferred Taco Bell from what the people at Jackson Oil (franchisee) told me. Jackson Oil still runs a Taco Time or two in Idaho and/or Oregon.

I think Kahala has third right or something on the food vendor space Wal Mart's new stores. Like, if McDonalds or Subway reject, they get the next right but they keep opening Blimpies. I wonder if they have considered co-brandings in these places.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Around here, Taco Time seems to have maintained a steady presence, but hasn't really grown any. I haven't seen any restaurants close in the time I've lived here, but haven't seen any open either. There have been a couple of remodels, but that's about it.