Albertsons plans for "Plated"

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Albertsons plans for "Plated"

Post by SamSpade » November 15th, 2019, 11:04 am

It sounds like they are replacing Signature Cafe items with Plated branded items among other moves. The home delivery service will be shutting down as we roll into 2020. Management of the brand is moving into the Own Brands division.

Albertsons has new plans for Plated

The reason I speculate about Signature Cafe is that as Safeway stores here have been renovated the "running chef" Signature Cafe sign is being removed from store exteriors (and deli) and in many cases replaced with the new / larger Starbucks mermaid to meet Starbucks current brand standards.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Albertsons plans for "Plated"

Post by storewanderer » November 15th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Plated was purchased as part of trying to make the company attractive for an IPO. At the time of the purchase. Wall Street was in love with the meal kit concept and there was a lot of pressure on grocers from the "analysts" that the grocers needed to get on the meal kit bandwagon or else.

I am not sure the Plated brand has any value. I don't really think Signature Cafe has any value either. They may as well bring back "Quick Fixin Ideas" and brand all this stuff with that slogan and the little clock logo - at least that one was a little catchy and describes what they are offering.

Albertsons private label program continues to be a mess and confused. They need to quit changing direction. Putting "Signature Select" onto standard/low end products was a real mistake as the old Safeway Select line had excellent quality control before. They completely blew that. Their O Organics/Open Nature lines continue to seem very weak compared to the Kroger Simple Truth line, though they claim they are having success with those lines. They need to stop pricing private label items higher than name brand items (both on sales and now with the price cut program in my market, the private labels on key categories like sugar, flour, etc. are higher than name brand on an everyday basis). You rarely see private label cost more than name brand at Kroger. Sometimes it is only 1 cent more but again the private label is there to represent a lower price point.