Claim Jumper sold again?

storewanderer

Re: Claim Jumper sold again?

Post by storewanderer »

SamSpade wrote: January 1st, 2020, 10:37 pm Wow.
Also, Morton's charges a "healthcare fee" on guest cheques. Guess that was one of the Landry's decisions.

M&S has never been the same since selling, IMHO.
Where is the Morton's that is charging a "healthcare fee?"

I think in some west coast cities that is being mandated (San Francisco) at restaurants...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 2:47 am Coincidentally, when I was flipping through one of the unsolicited newspapers that's mailed to everyone, it listed Claim Jumper (along with Black Angus, El Torito, Coco's and others) as legacy California restaurants not likely to survive to 2030.

I didn't realize Black Angus had dropped to just 40 restaurants...
I think Black Angus must have been too distressed for Landry's to bite on it back when it went bankrupt which is funny since Landry's bought up so many similar concepts. Black Angus had a pretty good run though, a lot longer than many chains of its era did. Many old 70's and 80's restaurants that hung on as neighborhoods declined for a long time too. Maybe the heavy couponing helped but I did like Black Angus well enough.

It will be unfortunate if Claim Jumper does not survive. Too bad the founding family cannot somehow get control of the chain back and give it its personality and life back. I think the chain still has a good name and potential, and somewhat of a unique concept.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 8:50 pm
SamSpade wrote: January 1st, 2020, 10:37 pm Wow.
Also, Morton's charges a "healthcare fee" on guest cheques. Guess that was one of the Landry's decisions.

M&S has never been the same since selling, IMHO.
Where is the Morton's that is charging a "healthcare fee?"

I think in some west coast cities that is being mandated (San Francisco) at restaurants...
Portland, Ore. The waiter had to explain it to every table when he'd lay the check down when it was new. There was a small sign posted near the entrance.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't think there is a mandate to do that in Portland. They should just up the menu prices and be done with it. What about that "surcharge" Safeway, etc. are charging in Portland? Is what Morton's is doing related to that? I thought the "surcharge" at Safeway, etc. in Portland was related to non-food.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Claim Jumper has not yet reopened in Reno but I see some of their other locations reopened (Roseville reopened, Sacramento didn't). When trying to look into it on the website, I came across something new. A 3% surcharge in CA locations only to cover "increased costs."

Maybe they are just trying to fail? Almost like they want to do a price increase but don't want to pay to re-do menus so this is a cheaper/easier way to go.

https://www.claimjumper.com/contact/cal ... -surcharge
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: June 14th, 2020, 10:51 pm Claim Jumper has not yet reopened in Reno but I see some of their other locations reopened (Roseville reopened, Sacramento didn't). When trying to look into it on the website, I came across something new. A 3% surcharge in CA locations only to cover "increased costs."

Maybe they are just trying to fail? Almost like they want to do a price increase but don't want to pay to re-do menus so this is a cheaper/easier way to go.

https://www.claimjumper.com/contact/cal ... -surcharge
It's either that or they are trying to make a political message.

It's a pretty stupid move IMO. Their rationalization doesn't make any sense so I don't see what else it could be. People would never have noticed a 3% price increase and if their competitors don't do the same thing they will look like they are finding a way to gouge customers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 16th, 2020, 8:54 pm

It's either that or they are trying to make a political message.

It's a pretty stupid move IMO. Their rationalization doesn't make any sense so I don't see what else it could be. People would never have noticed a 3% price increase and if their competitors don't do the same thing they will look like they are finding a way to gouge customers.
Even if a customer may emphasize with their political message, the customer is not going to like to pay a fee for it. It is just a silly piece of friction to add to the conversation at the end of the meal when a customer sees this on the bill (maybe they won't notice). But the customer probably wouldn't care if that burger was on the menu at 14.99 or 15.49. Oh they could even squeeze a little more than 3% out of it if they did it that way... +3% and round up to the nearest 9 cents.

Really think they wanted to push a price increase but were too cheap to print up new menus so went this route.

I'm also a little confused on the explanation about how doing this does not hurt some of their employees. Specifically I am thinking of tip logic. Historically I tipped a percentage based on the total of the bill (including tax). Then I had an employer who got extremely heavy handed with us about only tipping 15% and only 15% no more and ensuring it was on the price of the items only or they would not reimburse us for the meals during travel.

So under that policy I would need to tip $2.25 on the $14.99 burger period since tip was based on menu price only. But if it was a $15.49 burger then I could tip $2.32. So not sure how this policy helps the employees, it seems like a price increase would help them more as many people base the tip off the cost of the items.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Reno Claim Jumper reopened last week or two ago.

Long Beach Claim Jumper closed for good as of today.
klkla

Post by klkla »

This is an interesting closure as it's in a really good location. The area if pretty wealthy and densely populated.

That intersection is interesting from a grocery perspective, as well.

It's in a shopping center anchored by Trader Joe's. Across the street on the other side of Pacific Coast Highway is a Whole Foods. Across the street on the other side of 2nd street is a Gelson's and a Ralphs Fresh Fare.

The Gelson's opened in 2013 in a former Albertson's location and was the first new Gelson's opened since the Pasadena store in 2001.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Claim Jumper frozen pies (Con Agra - same pies as the Marie Callendar frozen pies but different boxes) seem to have disappeared at the stores in my area who had them (Raleys, Wal Mart, a few others) and got replaced with the Marie Callendar ones.