Macy’s 2020

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Macy’s 2020

Post by storewanderer »

Went into Macy's at Sunrise Mall in Citrus Heights, CA (Sacramento area) today. Sunrise Mall is in horrible shape from the last time I was in there (it has been a few years). Probably 35% occupied at best and not everything that is occupied was even open this afternoon.

This Macy's is what is internally referred to as a "neighborhood store" (that is the group of stores that may or may not be kept open long term).

Two Macy's: original Macy's and former Weinstock's.
Both stores are 3 floor buildings. Both stores only have 2 of the 3 floors merchandised. In the case of the men's store the bottom floor has clothes and the second floor is all furniture (just furniture) so complete dead space with almost no traffic. Both stores look to have had new flooring, carpet, and displays in the past decade. These stores were well stocked, neatly merchandised, and very much ready for business for the holidays from a merchandising perspective. There is no "Backstage" department here despite obvious space on the un-used third floors. Both stores have cut checkout so there are basically only one or two centralized cashwraps per floor. In both the men's and women's stores those had lines of 10-15 customers waiting to pay with 1-2 open cashiers. I walked past a couple of those lines snaking way into the clothing areas and immediately determined I wouldn't be buying anything today... I guess that is part of the "Neighborhood Store" is to cut staffing and shift to centralized checkout.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Actually, the second Macy's was originally a Liberty House. The original Macy's store in the area was in Birdcage Walk, across the street, in the location of the current Target.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

The Lloyd Center Macy's in Portland is likely closing after Christmas. Very lightly merchandised throughout the store. In the home section, the back walls were empty and the tables has few boxes. They are not stocked up for holiday rush.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: November 15th, 2020, 9:58 am The Lloyd Center Macy's in Portland is likely closing after Christmas. Very lightly merchandised throughout the store. In the home section, the back walls were empty and the tables has few boxes. They are not stocked up for holiday rush.
Did they close off any floor space in Lloyd Center or is the floor space still all open? I recall that store being quite large...

I was surprised how well stocked this Sunrise Mall Store was, but when you figure they are not using 33% of the available floor space in one store and not using 67% of the available floor space in the other store (I'm not even counting that deserted furniture floor as using floor space), even though the space being used was fully and well merchandised there is still a ton of un-used/empty space.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

J-Man wrote: November 15th, 2020, 8:32 am
Actually, the second Macy's was originally a Liberty House. The original Macy's store in the area was in Birdcage Walk, across the street, in the location of the current Target.
Interesting, I was kind of wondering if that women's Macy's was a Liberty House. The guts of the building such as escalator placement and layout, restroom placement, office placement, and elevator placement, relative to one another, are all set up differently from the Reno Macy's Women's Store which was a Macy's build in 1978 (the Reno Men's Macy's was a Liberty House and has never been remodeled much). I remember the small Macy's that used to be at Birdcage a long time ago.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: November 15th, 2020, 11:13 am
babs wrote: November 15th, 2020, 9:58 am The Lloyd Center Macy's in Portland is likely closing after Christmas. Very lightly merchandised throughout the store. In the home section, the back walls were empty and the tables has few boxes. They are not stocked up for holiday rush.
Did they close off any floor space in Lloyd Center or is the floor space still all open? I recall that store being quite large...

I was surprised how well stocked this Sunrise Mall Store was, but when you figure they are not using 33% of the available floor space in one store and not using 67% of the available floor space in the other store (I'm not even counting that deserted furniture floor as using floor space), even though the space being used was fully and well merchandised there is still a ton of un-used/empty space.
Regarding Lloyd Center, I have been wondering if they might downsize. The store was built as Meier & Frank during a different era and really is too big now. Closing would leave a huge empty space, which there is already plenty of at Lloyd Center. I have also been wondering about the future of the store at Salem Center, also a former Meier & Frank, which predates the Lloyd Center store and is showing its age a bit. Salem Center has seen the closure of Nordstrom and just recently JCPenney. I haven't been inside either location recently though.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: November 15th, 2020, 7:14 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 15th, 2020, 11:13 am

Regarding Lloyd Center, I have been wondering if they might downsize. The store was built as Meier & Frank during a different era and really is too big now. Closing would leave a huge empty space, which there is already plenty of at Lloyd Center. I have also been wondering about the future of the store at Salem Center, also a former Meier & Frank, which predates the Lloyd Center store and is showing its age a bit. Salem Center has seen the closure of Nordstrom and just recently JCPenney. I haven't been inside either location recently though.
No part of the store has been walled off. The mall has really emptied out since I was there about a year ago..it truly has the feel of a dead mall. On a Saturday afternoon, it should have been packed but it wasn't. I think their days are numbered. It has been rumored as a potential site of a new MLB stadium. It would be a perfect site for that. Would hate to see if become another site of cookie cutter 5 story apartment buildings with overpriced restaurants on the ground floor.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

It's official Macy's at Lloyd Center is closing January 18th.
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... nuary.html

I bet by March the mall is padlocked.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

babs wrote: November 17th, 2020, 7:58 am It's official Macy's at Lloyd Center is closing January 18th.

:(
83 associates. Not any way to run a full-service, large department store in 2020. They must have more associates at Clackamas & Wa Square, right?

This center has been hit by a lot of strikes.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: November 17th, 2020, 8:03 am
babs wrote: November 17th, 2020, 7:58 am It's official Macy's at Lloyd Center is closing January 18th.

:(
83 associates. Not any way to run a full-service, large department store in 2020. They must have more associates at Clackamas & Wa Square, right?

This center has been hit by a lot of strikes.
83 associates sounds more like a Kmart or Sears staffing level. I would be willing to bet that resulted in a high rate of shoplifting.