Bed Bath & Beyond: Dying?

storewanderer

Re: Bed Bath & Beyond: Dying?

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:06 pm
veteran+ wrote: January 25th, 2022, 7:49 am

The famous 20% coupon is applied ONLY to the most expensive item you purchase and not on your total bill.

I'm done with them!

AFAIK, that is how the coupons always worked...it is off a single item, not an entire transaction. (Occasionally, they would issue one good on your entire order, or a $x off $x coupon, but I haven't seen either for the general public in a very long time).
One thing on the coupon is if you have multiple coupons you can use multiple in the same transaction. They used to accept them expired too but that may have changed.

I agree a lot of the new merchandise looks like junk and is priced higher than it looks to be worth.

Maybe go return the mirror and try to see if an exchange would work better? Or just go get a refund. I assume the house brand product has a satisfaction guarantee?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.

No mo BBB for me!

:x
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:39 am Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.

No mo BBB for me!

I notice I do not purchase much of anything there anymore either, especially the past 6 months. Purchase frequency keeps declining. I walk through their stores a few times a month and in the past I used to pick an item up from time to time.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:58 pm
veteran+ wrote: January 26th, 2022, 8:39 am Yep, that's what I'm gonna do.

No mo BBB for me!

I notice I do not purchase much of anything there anymore either, especially the past 6 months. Purchase frequency keeps declining. I walk through their stores a few times a month and in the past I used to pick an item up from time to time.
Same for me. I'd usually pick up an OXO Good Grips item, but they seem to be replacing them with their own lame brand. BBB came in handy when I was buying my air purifiers. Thanks to Beyond Plus I received 20% off and free shipping. i was able to use it when buying area rugs online. It brought the total down to less than Amazon's. However, next year Beyond Plus is not getting renewed.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Good Article here talking about how the purged BB&B is failing. I really think the wheels have started coming off and it's going to be a bloodbath in 2022 for this company. They don't know who their customer is anymore.

https://qz-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/q ... -beyond%2F
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I am glad they cut so many SKUs of the junk they had but..................................they cut too many of the higher ticket better quality items as well.

Also, they did not improve and modernize their style and fashion elements. Same old bland and milquetoast choices.

And that 20% off game is a joke!

Bye bye BBB!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 8:04 am I am glad they cut so many SKUs of the junk they had but..................................they cut too many of the higher ticket better quality items as well.

Also, they did not improve and modernize their style and fashion elements. Same old bland and milquetoast choices.

And that 20% off game is a joke!

Bye bye BBB!
It is worse in my opinion. They added SKUs of junk to replace the higher ticket better quality items. I suppose there was SOME junk cut out... nobody misses that. But people do miss the higher ticket better quality items.

I do think their strategy to remove the higher ticket better quality items may have been justified based on the "quality" of the house brand items they've added. When you add stuff that looks like it belongs at Dollar Tree, if customers had better stuff to compare next to it, it would become even more obvious what junk it is. Wal Mart is doing a much better job in these categories; better quality and pricing. Target, certainly better style. Specialty stores for the much better stuff, maybe some light use of department stores for soft bed/towels. BBB is irrelevant and of no use to the customer any longer. Many other businesses have filled the void. In the over-stored US, the low hanging fruit falls first.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:20 am I guess BBB has a Target executive running the company now and there are high expectations to turn things around based on how he came from Target. Sort of like how there were high expectations on that Apple guy to turn JCP around and we see how that went...
Just like the G.E. executive that drove the original Albertson's into the ground.
storewanderer wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:20 am They used to have another competitor who went under in the 90's called Home Place (similar format again) and Home Place was a nicer store, as in, it looked nicer inside and had some more expensive items. BBB comes off kind of cheap and downscale. In my area BBB and Home Place opened around the same time and Home Place was always far busier than BBB, though the chain went under pretty quick at which point BBB got all of the business. I think Home Place also handled more furniture but I could be wrong.
I don't remember Home Place. Here in California their main competitor was Linen 'N Things.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

klkla wrote: February 5th, 2022, 6:48 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:20 am I guess BBB has a Target executive running the company now and there are high expectations to turn things around based on how he came from Target. Sort of like how there were high expectations on that Apple guy to turn JCP around and we see how that went...
Just like the G.E. executive that drove the original Albertson's into the ground.
storewanderer wrote: January 18th, 2020, 11:20 am They used to have another competitor who went under in the 90's called Home Place (similar format again) and Home Place was a nicer store, as in, it looked nicer inside and had some more expensive items. BBB comes off kind of cheap and downscale. In my area BBB and Home Place opened around the same time and Home Place was always far busier than BBB, though the chain went under pretty quick at which point BBB got all of the business. I think Home Place also handled more furniture but I could be wrong.
I don't remember Home Place. Here in California their main competitor was Linen 'N Things.
Home Place might have been an East Coast thing (primarily the more southern states). One came and went rather quickly in my area, I think it opened maybe three years before they filed for bankruptcy. The space was enormous and was later divided into a Ross and Modell's. Their corporate name was Waccamaw Corp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waccamaw_Corp.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: February 5th, 2022, 8:32 pm

Home Place might have been an East Coast thing (primarily the more southern states). One came and went rather quickly in my area, I think it opened maybe three years before they filed for bankruptcy. The space was enormous and was later divided into a Ross and Modell's. Their corporate name was Waccamaw Corp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waccamaw_Corp.
Home Place was an independent company and was not involved with Waccamaw until 1999. I can't find much about Home Place pre-Waccamaw.

Home Place opened in Reno in 1996; it was in the space where TJ Maxx sits on Kietzke Lane. The entire front of the store has windows which is a leftover thing from Home Place. I'm not sure I ever saw another location of this chain but it was definitely a chain. It was a nice and well put together store. I don't recall much private label product, it focused on branded products. It was much nicer than Bed Bath and Beyond (who opened across the street around the same time). BBB never did much business until after Home Place closed, then it became quite busy.

Linens N Things showed up about a mile away close to the time Home Place went under. It never had much business. They would have done much better in the Home Place location with that store.