Albertsons buys former Shopko Hometown in Powell, Wyoming

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Albertsons buys former Shopko Hometown in Powell, Wyoming

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 28th, 2022, 4:35 pm Albertsons has started work on the new store in Powell.
https://powelltribune.com/stories/work- ... tore,37757
Allegedly, this store will be branded as a Safeway, even though Albertsons outnumbers Safeway in Wyoming. Albertsons with 9, Safeway with 5.
This store would be in the Safeway-dominated Denver division, and will open later this year.
This will be the first new store opening by Denver Division since... when?

Also given they are using the Albertsons brand in surrounding places like Cody it is odd they plan to use Safeway in this one. Unless they plan to convert the surrounding Albertsons to Safeway... Also the store in Cody is in Intermountain Division.
Also if coming from Denver you would drive through Cody to get to Powell so I don't understand why they'd have Cody in Intermountain and Powell in Denver.

Also there was a Safeway in Sheridan but it was divested to Ridley's. There is an Albertsons in Sheridan, that store is in the Denver Division...

This Denver Division clearly hates using the Albertsons banner even where it would be a good idea to do so (like this location). They seem to be hooked on the Safeway banner which is not exactly a smashing success in that region.

The AFS independent Blair's looks solid, even has a few gas pumps. As far as the other independent goes I will go ahead and refrain from comment.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2022, 1:02 am
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 28th, 2022, 4:35 pm Albertsons has started work on the new store in Powell.
https://powelltribune.com/stories/work- ... tore,37757
Allegedly, this store will be branded as a Safeway, even though Albertsons outnumbers Safeway in Wyoming. Albertsons with 9, Safeway with 5.
This store would be in the Safeway-dominated Denver division, and will open later this year.
This will be the first new store opening by Denver Division since... when?

Also given they are using the Albertsons brand in surrounding places like Cody it is odd they plan to use Safeway in this one. Unless they plan to convert the surrounding Albertsons to Safeway... Also the store in Cody is in Intermountain Division.
Also if coming from Denver you would drive through Cody to get to Powell so I don't understand why they'd have Cody in Intermountain and Powell in Denver.

Also there was a Safeway in Sheridan but it was divested to Ridley's. There is an Albertsons in Sheridan, that store is in the Denver Division...

This Denver Division clearly hates using the Albertsons banner even where it would be a good idea to do so (like this location). They seem to be hooked on the Safeway banner which is not exactly a smashing success in that region.

The AFS independent Blair's looks solid, even has a few gas pumps. As far as the other independent goes I will go ahead and refrain from comment.
"According to social media posts made by a design firm working on the project, Powell’s new store will be a Safeway, but Albertsons has not made an official announcement."

I don't have a lot of confidence in social media posts. The key point here is that Albertsons has not made an official announcement.

Keep in mind that Albertsons has changed their mind on names. A good example is the new Broadway store in Boise, where there were plans to use the Market Street branding, which were later dropped.

The Intermountain division is one area where Albertsons actually has a stronger name at this point.

But you also have oddities like Baker City where there is an Albertsons and Safeway almost directly across from each other....
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

storewanderer wrote: January 29th, 2022, 1:02 am This will be the first new store opening by Denver Division since... when?

The other independent looks to be supplied by AWG. AWG supplies a handful of independents in eastern WY/CO, many of which go against Albertsons/Safeway. There is an AWG independent in Gillette that goes against Albertsons, Smith's, and Walmart.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 29th, 2022, 12:28 pm
The other independent looks to be supplied by AWG. AWG supplies a handful of independents in eastern WY/CO, many of which go against Albertsons/Safeway. There is an AWG independent in Gillette that goes against Albertsons, Smith's, and Walmart.
I think a lot of these independents were supplied by the previous Affiliated before, that group kept prices down as best as it could I suppose given its markets. AWG brings more resources to them if they use them/have the opportunity to use them.

That Smiths in Gillette- is that an old Buttrey? Doesn't look like a Smiths... doesn't really look like anything I'm familiar with.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

You are right- That Smith's is a former Buttrey. Looks like Smith's gave that store an exterior remodel. This one has the late 00's Ralphs interior
I remember shopping at the Gillette Albertsons as a kid (during some road trip long ago). I don't remember what interior it had. Looks like Albertsons just gave it a Colorful Lifestyle remodel.
AWG even supplies a Hispanic format chain in Denver- Mi Pueblo.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Going back on this again they have site plans showing this is an Albertsons and it is in Intermountain Division.

https://www.powelltribune.com/stories/p ... sons,28741

That article is over a year old so maybe something changed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Store is about to open. Banner being used is Albertsons.
https://www.powelltribune.com/stories/s ... sons,43082
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 10:11 pm Store is about to open. Banner being used is Albertsons.
29000sqft?

Tiny store........................
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 7:28 am
storewanderer wrote: September 2nd, 2022, 10:11 pm Store is about to open. Banner being used is Albertsons.
29000sqft?

Tiny store........................
They take the old Pamida footprint.

Building looks 40 years old too. I assume they spent a lot on the inside but it doesn't look like they spent much on the outside.

Funny to see growth of the Albertsons banner. A second new build coming to El Paso soon as well.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Construction is delayed for the store: https://www.powelltribune.com/stories/a ... ayed,47139