Kroger opening distribution center in Maryland

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Kroger opening distribution center in Maryland

Post by cw06 »

Just an update. Some jobs at this warehouse are showing up under Harris Teeter, as opposed to Kroger (they still run separate HR systems). Looks like Ocado deliveries may be branded as HT in the DMV area. They also may be using the facility as distribution center for their brick and mortal stores.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

Looks like deliveries in Maryland will be branded as Harris Teeter.

https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness.com ... y-maryland
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Delivery seems to be in decline. The people doing the shopping for it at Whole Foods used to be unavoidable most mornings duirng COVID. I rarely see them or deliveries to where I live now. This probably is not the best time to establish a new delivery brand--they may figure that the Harris-Teeter branding will help them, but it seems like something that can only help at the margins.

The enduring thing about Kroger is that they're not an innovator---they play defense and they sometimes are a little late in the game when they do. That can help them where the competition has moved slowly, but this is an area where it has come and gone already.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

buckguy wrote: June 14th, 2023, 10:25 am Delivery seems to be in decline. The people doing the shopping for it at Whole Foods used to be unavoidable most mornings duirng COVID. I rarely see them or deliveries to where I live now. This probably is not the best time to establish a new delivery brand--they may figure that the Harris-Teeter branding will help them, but it seems like something that can only help at the margins.

The enduring thing about Kroger is that they're not an innovator---they play defense and they sometimes are a little late in the game when they do. That can help them where the competition has moved slowly, but this is an area where it has come and gone already.
SPOT ON about Kroger!
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

buckguy wrote: June 14th, 2023, 10:25 am Delivery seems to be in decline. The people doing the shopping for it at Whole Foods used to be unavoidable most mornings duirng COVID. I rarely see them or deliveries to where I live now. This probably is not the best time to establish a new delivery brand--they may figure that the Harris-Teeter branding will help them, but it seems like something that can only help at the margins.

I think the delivery issues at Amazon and Whole Foods are self-inflicted. The Fresh stores operated better as dark stores - the delivery service was absolutely fantastic. Then Amazon value engineered the service quality to crap by requiring the workers to pack more units into the bags, stopped using expensive mylar insulated cold bags and replaced with a single frozen water bottle in paper, and so on. Whole Foods was also value engineered. Then minimum order values were increased. Between the lowered quality of packaging and the higher order amount requirements they basically killed the business.

I think the fundamental issue is that the customer wants good delivery services, but they want the same in store price. The good quality services can't do it profitably. The bad quality services fail once and then are rejected by the customer forever (Walmart...).

Kroger might be onto something if their automated Ocado warehouses fix the labor piece and enable them to offer same pricing for delivered goods as in store and still have high quality packaging and delivery service.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Kroger has slowed the Ocado thing a bit.

I still see Kroger doing a fair amount of "pick up" transactions in my area. Wal Mart pick up areas still have traffic but not as much as they once did. Same for Target. I see fewer and fewer at Raleys and Safeway never did many to begin with. Save Mart/Food Maxx with Instacart I have yet to witness evidence of any transactions occurring.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

ClownLoach wrote: June 14th, 2023, 1:04 pm

I think the delivery issues at Amazon and Whole Foods are self-inflicted. The Fresh stores operated better as dark stores - the delivery service was absolutely fantastic. Then Amazon value engineered the service quality to crap by requiring the workers to pack more units into the bags, stopped using expensive mylar insulated cold bags and replaced with a single frozen water bottle in paper, and so on. Whole Foods was also value engineered. Then minimum order values were increased. Between the lowered quality of packaging and the higher order amount requirements they basically killed the business.

I think the fundamental issue is that the customer wants good delivery services, but they want the same in store price. The good quality services can't do it profitably. The bad quality services fail once and then are rejected by the customer forever (Walmart...).

Kroger might be onto something if their automated Ocado warehouses fix the labor piece and enable them to offer same pricing for delivered goods as in store and still have high quality packaging and delivery service.
Not just WF. I'm not seeing Peapod, either, which had quite a few customers either. Safeway delivery never seemed to catch-on here.