McGrath's Fish House

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: McGrath's Fish House

Post by jamcool »

Seafood restaurants are hard to operate outside of coastal areas, the product is almost always frozen and spoils quickly (the nature of seafood). Fish is never really good unless it’s fresh.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Medford is turning into an Elmer's and will offer Oregon Lotto sales in its lounge. So there will be 2 Elmer's in Medford.

What a downgrade. Good for Elmer's, I guess. Shocked they are able to open a new unit. Perhaps my perception of Elmer's is off and I need to revisit them.

Red Lobster is still open in Medford.

McGrath's has been having execution challenges for the past 10 years. I am disappointed to see they are down to 2 locations. But restaurants really have a lifespan. I really liked McGrath's. Most if not all seafood at McGrath's was fresh (not frozen). Their Hazelnut Sole was really, really good.

The restaurant business is facing every possible problem right now. Labor shortages, labor cost increases, food cost increases, customers who are more and more demanding, logistics challenges, equipment repair and maintenance challenges (parts that take forever to show up, shortage of technicians). Yet we continue to see many new restaurants opening despite all of the challenges.

Pappadeux is a great seafood chain with some locations scattered around outside their main TX territory; Denver, Albuquerque, Phoenix. They have maintained their quality very well over the years. You pay for it, but you get what you pay for.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I would love you to visit the Elmers in Palm Springs and let me know what you think.

;)
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:41 pm Seafood restaurants are hard to operate outside of coastal areas, the product is almost always frozen and spoils quickly (the nature of seafood). Fish is never really good unless it’s fresh.
True, but I will point out that the Interstate 5 corridor is relatively close to the coastal areas of Oregon and Washington. It should be feasible to source fresh seafood, although I can see high fuel prices affecting the feasibility of operating refrigerated trucks. This would have certainly affected operations in Boise.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

My Dad's rule for Seafood was to avoid it if you were more than 100 miles from the sea.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: November 16th, 2022, 12:39 pm My Dad's rule for Seafood was to avoid it if you were more than 100 miles from the sea.
This is a good rule but Pappadeux in Denver, Albuquerque, or Phoenix is worth an exception.