California. No non-grocery posts.
retailfanmitchell019
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: New Build Pavilions La Quinta Coming in 2021

Post by retailfanmitchell019 » February 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Bluelightspecial wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:13 pm
Did the news story say they would close the existing La Quinta Vons if the Pavilions gets approved? If I recall, the La Quinta Vons was expanded not to many years ago. I think the more surprising thing from the news article is that they want to open a store with a drive through pharmacy. For ex Safeway divisions I know Tom Thumb had drive through pharmacies, but are there any other Albertsons or Vons drive through pharmacies in southern California?
There are a few Albertsons drive-thru pharmacies in CA. Most (if not all) are 2000's model stores. Examples are Murrieta-Hot Springs (2004 build, possibly the last store to be built with Grocery Palace decor, Jewel layout), Murrieta-Scott Rd (2005 build with Jewel decor), San Clemente (2001/02 build, Grocery Palace layout), Fullerton (clone of San Clemente store), Tujunga (clone of Murrieta-Hot Springs store, but with Jewel decor)

pseudo3d
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: New Build Pavilions La Quinta Coming in 2021

Post by pseudo3d » February 14th, 2020, 7:30 pm

retailfanmitchell019 wrote:
February 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm
Bluelightspecial wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 10:13 pm
Did the news story say they would close the existing La Quinta Vons if the Pavilions gets approved? If I recall, the La Quinta Vons was expanded not to many years ago. I think the more surprising thing from the news article is that they want to open a store with a drive through pharmacy. For ex Safeway divisions I know Tom Thumb had drive through pharmacies, but are there any other Albertsons or Vons drive through pharmacies in southern California?
There are a few Albertsons drive-thru pharmacies in CA. Most (if not all) are 2000's model stores. Examples are Murrieta-Hot Springs (2004 build, possibly the last store to be built with Grocery Palace decor, Jewel layout), Murrieta-Scott Rd (2005 build with Jewel decor), San Clemente (2001/02 build, Grocery Palace layout), Fullerton (clone of San Clemente store), Tujunga (clone of Murrieta-Hot Springs store, but with Jewel decor)
As a whole, pre-2006 Albertsons didn't really do drive-through pharmacies, and the few that did are few and far between. This posed some problem for the stores that acquired them. The Kroger in Sulphur, Louisiana (former Albertsons) has a drive-through pharmacy awkwardly retrofitted into the FRONT of the store. An Albertsons (2003 build, sold to H-E-B in 2007) in Austin DID have a pharmacy drive through, but it was so unusual I had thought the pharmacy drive-through was an H-E-B feature that replaced the Albertsons garden center after it closed (and may well have been in the original planning documents) but it was built with a drive-through after all.