Private label products being sold at other chains

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Private label products being sold at other chains

Post by mbz321 »

marketreportblog wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:02 pm

How the heck did they get all these things? They weren't expired or damaged as far as I could tell, although admittedly I needed to get on a subway so I couldn't stay and investigate for too long. And I've seen bodegas or small stores that have exclusively one storebrand (like the owner makes a trip to BJ's or Walmart to stock up once a month rather than having a real distributor), but this one was new to me.
Perhaps some small food wholesaler 'Cash and Carry'-type store that gets a lot of overstock/closeout merchandise from random sources? I know there are a couple smaller stores like this in Philly that I imagine a lot of corner bodegas and the like get their merchandise from.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

marketreportblog wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:02 pm Maybe a week or two ago I stopped by a bodega in NYC (Queens) to get a drink and was shocked to find how many random storebrand things they had. On one section of shelves alone, they had:

Hannaford grape jelly
Krasdale canned fruit (big NYC-area food wholesaler/cooperative, so that's not so unusual, but it is the storebrand for CTown and Bravo supermarkets here)
Kroger canned peaches
Great Valu and Market Basket strawberry ice cream sauce
Market Basket chocolate sauce
Tops barbecue sauce

How the heck did they get all these things? They weren't expired or damaged as far as I could tell, although admittedly I needed to get on a subway so I couldn't stay and investigate for too long. And I've seen bodegas or small stores that have exclusively one storebrand (like the owner makes a trip to BJ's or Walmart to stock up once a month rather than having a real distributor), but this one was new to me.
I wouldn't be surprised if the owner just went to random stores and bought things at retail prices (presumably timing it to pick up items on sale). If they can make a trip once a month to one store, then going to several stores will save money and may be worth the extra time, similar to shopping for a household.

But the peaches are odd, as there are no Kroger stores anywhere near NYC.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: December 19th, 2023, 12:19 am
marketreportblog wrote: December 16th, 2023, 5:02 pm Maybe a week or two ago I stopped by a bodega in NYC (Queens) to get a drink and was shocked to find how many random storebrand things they had. On one section of shelves alone, they had:

Hannaford grape jelly
Krasdale canned fruit (big NYC-area food wholesaler/cooperative, so that's not so unusual, but it is the storebrand for CTown and Bravo supermarkets here)
Kroger canned peaches
Great Valu and Market Basket strawberry ice cream sauce
Market Basket chocolate sauce
Tops barbecue sauce

I wouldn't be surprised if the owner just went to random stores and bought things at retail prices (presumably timing it to pick up items on sale). If they can make a trip once a month to one store, then going to several stores will save money and may be worth the extra time, similar to shopping for a household.

Market Basket is rather far from NYC too by east coast standards. Out west it wouldn't be that far.

I wonder if one of the local wholesalers gets mis-shipped pallets or something and routes them off to some distributor who supports the bodegas. Sort of a quasi Grocery Outlet type of model.
marketreportblog
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by marketreportblog »

HCal wrote: December 19th, 2023, 12:19 am

Yeah, there's no way anyone is driving four or five hours from New York City to go to a Market Basket. Their prices are good but not THAT good. Even Hannaford, nobody from NYC is shopping at a Hannaford. I know of people who go from Manhattan to the Bronx or Brooklyn to shop, or over to NJ, and people from Staten Island frequently shop in the Woodbridge, NJ area, but there's no way they're going more than a couple miles outside of the city. The mis-ship theory makes sense, though.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

In a rather odd example, today I was doing some shopping at Walmart today, and in the milk aisle I found that somehow a single 1/2 gallon bottle of Good & Gather (Target store brand) 2% milk had snuck in with the Great Value branded products. It had the same plant code (37-83 which correlates to Dairy Fresh LLC in Winston-Salem), same expiration date and was basically identical except for the label, so my assumption is that it's all coming off the same line and one of the G&G branded bottles just ended up in the wrong batch. Didn't try to buy it, but I suspect it wouldn't have scanned at the register if I did.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Brian Lutz wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 12:46 pm In a rather odd example, today I was doing some shopping at Walmart today, and in the milk aisle I found that somehow a single 1/2 gallon bottle of Good & Gather (Target store brand) 2% milk had snuck in with the Great Value branded products. It had the same plant code (37-83 which correlates to Dairy Fresh LLC in Winston-Salem), same expiration date and was basically identical except for the label, so my assumption is that it's all coming off the same line and one of the G&G branded bottles just ended up in the wrong batch. Didn't try to buy it, but I suspect it wouldn't have scanned at the register if I did.
Wal Mart still has the ability for an employee to manually enter an item into the register if it doesn't scan. They can just make up a price and description. No manager required. Even the new self checkout software continues to have this function. I thought they'd finally remove it. But they kept it.

My favorite experience with it was one time when they had a bunch of clothing at $1 but none scanned that way. It all had to have a manual override. The employee on self checkout was a good spirited 20+ year employee who is always great. He came over and said he is going crazy with all these clothes, having to void, etc. He said let's do something funny. He typed CRAZY into the item description then the price of 8.00 or however many units of clothing I had. So the receipt showed I bought CRAZY for 8.00.