Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: Safeway NorCal Remodels and New Stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is Albertsons Premium Fresh and Healthy. This decor was created by the original Albertsons before it broke up in 2006. It was designed to be spacious and minimalistic. No fancy colors to distract customers. The bland decor was designed so that customers focus on the food and not on the walls. SuperValu added this decor to their stores since the original Albertsons already paid for the architectural firm to design this decor. Albertsons, LLC used another decor with colors.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 18th, 2022, 7:47 pm This is Albertsons Premium Fresh and Healthy. This decor was created by the original Albertsons before it broke up in 2006. It was designed to be spacious and minimalistic. No fancy colors to distract customers. The bland decor was designed so that customers focus on the food and not on the walls. SuperValu added this decor to their stores since the original Albertsons already paid for the architectural firm to design this decor. Albertsons, LLC used another decor with colors.
The decor yes, but the layout of the store is very odd. Looks like bakery and deli sandwiched in the front corner then produce beyond that including some wall space. Looks like an 80's Albertsons non-combination store
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

storewanderer wrote: April 18th, 2022, 10:50 pm

The decor yes, but the layout of the store is very odd. Looks like bakery and deli sandwiched in the front corner then produce beyond that including some wall space. Looks like an 80's Albertsons non-combination store
The layout has actually been the same since it was a Grocery Warehouse (owned by Albertsons). The store was a former Zodys location that surprisingly didnt go to Ralphs. It opened in 1987-88 then changed to Max Foods, then Albertsons.

Bakery is on the west wall immediately on the left as you enter, with the deli on the north wall. Produce, Dairy, Meats have been in the same spot since opening. The only change was Albertsons added a service meat counter when they remodeled, added a now-removed photo area and the Starbucks. Minus the usual item rotation in the store, no change to the layout since the late 80s.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I visited a Pak N Save owned by Safeway in San Leandro, California. The decor is straight out of the 1960s or 1970s. However, the refrigerated beer section recently received new doors to save energy. It used to be open to the air so that cold air leaked out.

Also the fluorescent tubes were switched to LED light bulbs. The old fixtures are still are still there unlike Safeway where they replace the light fixtures. The white floor tiles look 1960s, but are in better condition that the brown Lifestyle flooring. Other than the doors and light bulbs the refrigerated cases, aisle signs, and wall decor are vintage 1960s. It is like going back in time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

San Leandro is the mid 90's Pak N Save decor (the previous decor was dingier). Madera Pak N Save has the same decor.

The white floor is the standard mid 90's Safeway white tile floor.

Any differences there in pricing vs. normal Safeway?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wow. That 90s decor looks so rundown it could be mistaken for something even older.

The store pricing appeared higher than Safeway at first. They do not even bother putting up most of the shelf tags advertising Safeway For U discounts. You think everything is full price. I noticed that the receipt showed Safeway For U discounted prices, even though the shelves had no advertising. The sale prices seem the same.

The entire store seemed so dirty and rundown. There were few customers and 1 cashier on Saturday. I did see a security guard following people around looking very intimidating. The customers looked like they just escaped from a homeless encampment.

The parking lot was in such bad shape that you could not see the parking space lines.

I bought a slice of cake, and it was petrified as if it was way past its due date. I think they just relabel old stuff with new expiration dates.

Customers were complaining that lots of stuff was out of stock or not restocked. It is like a Safeway that just gave up trying.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 5:08 pm Wow. That 90s decor looks so rundown it could be mistaken for something even older.

The store pricing appeared higher than Safeway at first. They do not even bother putting up most of the shelf tags advertising Safeway For U discounts. You think everything is full price. I noticed that the receipt showed Safeway For U discounted prices, even though the shelves had no advertising. The sale prices seem the same.

The entire store seemed so dirty and rundown. There were few customers and 1 cashier on Saturday. I did see a security guard following people around looking very intimidating. The customers looked like they just escaped from a homeless encampment.

The parking lot was in such bad shape that you could not see the parking space lines.

I bought a slice of cake, and it was petrified as if it was way past its due date. I think they just relabel old stuff with new expiration dates.

Customers were complaining that lots of stuff was out of stock or not restocked. It is like a Safeway that just gave up trying.
I suspect a fresh coat of paint would go a long ways to improving the appearance of the interior (even if all remaining fixtures were kept).

I am wondering if the FoodsCo opening in Oakland hurt traffic at this store a number of years back. The Pak N Save hasn't been a true discount operation in some time despite presenting as one.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 5:08 pm Wow. That 90s decor looks so rundown it could be mistaken for something even older.

It has pretty good reviews overall on Google though. Probably just a lot less picky clientele who don't care about fancy wall decor' or sparkling floors.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The store had wide aisles and plenty of space. It was nice to shop in an uncrowded store even though it was so rundown. Parking was plentiful, although cars were parked haphazardly. There was an RV in the lot that looked like people were living in it. It was blocking a lane and could cause an accident. There was no self checkout. There were ancient checkstands with little advertisements on the lights. It was very retro.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: May 15th, 2022, 9:06 pm

It has pretty good reviews overall on Google though. Probably just a lot less picky clientele who don't care about fancy wall decor' or sparkling floors.
There is a Food Maxx somewhere around there too but as I recall it was smaller, but would be a true discount format.

Definitely don't see the Pak N Save pricing being above Safeway pricing, it is difficult to have prices higher than Safeway pricing. Unless your name is Raley's ONE, then you hit a home run on outpricing Safeway.